Will the NE Revolution be rebranded The Boston Beacons?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Sep 24, 2012.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that the Patriots became successful, and everyone in Boston saw that Kraft wasn't as committed to pursing the same success with the Revs. This was followed by 10 years of Boston sports success in MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA, while the Revs managed to get worse every season.

2. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    profiled repped this.
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  4. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in order of importance=
    #1 new stadium with subway access
    #2 new logo, but not necessarily a name change
    #3 go all the way and change stadium , logo and team name
    #4 change owner? If Kraft gets this deal done, does he keep the team or is he prepping it to sell ?
    =====
    Regardless, need something, because if DC gets a deal and #20 team comes in with a SSS, Boston will be the worse stadium situation left.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try reversing your list. A new stadium and/or logo will be meaningless without getting a new dedicated Front Office that knows what its doing. Just building a new stadium will be about as successful as it was originally in Dallas and Colorado.

RD84 repped this.
  6. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    Agree with everything there. How do NE fans feel about rebranding?

7. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is "Revolution" really that bad a name? It's got 17 years of history in it, and an affectionate abbreviation ("Revs").

I'd change the logo. Every sports team in every league in the US has tweaked or outright changed its logo over the years when the current logo is perceived as stale. The problem with the Revs logo is that it's a logo, not a badge, in an era when teams and fans prefer badge-style emblems with clear borders.

Mind you, updating the logo wouldn't fix what ails the team, but it could with marketing if there are real, substantial changes, like getting a new home. And at the least, help sell a little more merchandise.

(One more thing: If the Revolution did change their name, that would mean neither participant in MLS' first match in 1996 would exist under the same name, which is a bummer to a nostalgic traditionalist like me.)

------RM

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Revolution did not participate in MLS' first match in 1996.

9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I am not a Revs fan, but I've always loved that name. It is perfect for Boston/New England, aggressive, and still soccer-y. It does not carry the crappiness of most 90s names like Burn, Clash, Fusion, etc.
    When you think about it, MLS didn't do too badly with 90s names. Revolution, Fire, Galaxy, Crew, and Rapids are all solid. Mutiny and Wizards are on the fence. The three I mentioned above and Wiz and Metrostars clearly suck. United doesn't count since it's a ripoff, nor does Earthquakes since its an homage.
    That logo has got to go. Or at the very least, incorporate the flag into a proper crest somehow. I actually like the design, but it is not enough to be a full logo/crest.
    The color scheme works well with that name. It also works well with the city's history and importance during the Revolutionary War.

10. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------
    Thats a good idea. Come up with a better crest, but somehow incorporate the flag. Boston has plenty of other icons you could build into a crest and tie in to the Revolution=
    Old North Church, Old Ironsides, Minuteman, and proper other historical stuff I can think of.
    =
    Team colors, of red/white/blue need to stay as a nod to USA colors, but you may also want to try to change the mix on the uniform as part of the rebrand.

11. Revolusean

Revolusean Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As a Revolution fan I do not want the team name changed (although I wouldn't quibble with Boston Revolution). I've always loved the team's name and color scheme (red/white/blue). I don't like changing names in order to pretend to be European. I also don't think any of the old Boston NASL team names have any better connection to the area considering none were around here for longer than 3 years. I know the Revolution stink at the moment and it seems like the Front Office is stuck in 2002, but at least they're not stuck in 1972.

As for the logo, that can be changed. Although instead of just tossing the current logo outright, I'd like to see it retained as a secondary logo as a nod to the past. Something that's not the official primary logo to represent the team but can be used from time-to-time as an alternate. I'm thinking like most baseball teams will have branding with an official logo and a different design on the cap

Flex Buffchest and aetraxx7 repped this.
  12. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    From looking at google earth it doesn't seem ideal by any stretch. Depends on public transport?

I always have a chuckle to myself when people cite a nearby immigrant population as a reason why the stadium will be filled. I've heard it all before only for the majority nearby immigrants to be indifferent to MLS. A quick look through youtube and this site will tell anyone that the target market should be young middle class males for the most part.

13. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very quick and easy to get to Wonderland from downtown Boston on the subway. Just take the blue line up about 20 minutes. I think this is as ideal a spot as the Revs can hope for. In any case, it's a hundred times better than Foxborough.

DaveBrett and Bucky-O'Hare repped this.
  14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That new stadium location would probably make the revolution's new satdium one of the more easier stadiums to get to in MLS.

15. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your not going to get land in the City of Boston anywhere to get a stadium done. This land is right on the Blue Line. Two MBTA stops are within walking distance.

Here are the approx times of travel on the T from the furthest stop(Non-rush hour times)to Wonderland
    Green Line to Blue Line
    B-74 mins(Boston College)
    C -56 mins (Cleveland Circle)
    D-67 mins (Riverside in Newton)
    E-51 mins (Heath St)
    Lechmere 33 mins
    M.O.S 31 Mins
    North Station 26 mins

Red Line to Green Line to Blue Line
    Alewife-51 mins
    Ashmont 63 mins
    Braintree 63 mins

Blue Line
    Gov't Center 21 mins

Orange Line To Blue Line
    Oak Grove 39 mins
    Forest Hills 43 mins

And there are 12 busses that go to Wonderland Station(110,114,116,411,424,426,450,441,442,448,449,450,455)

2012 T rider cost $2.50 one way or $2.00 with a charlie card

16. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution really isn't that bad a name. But the logo, we can all agree, is BAD. They should really try something like the Barcelona crest. Put the American flag in the top left corner, the New England in the top right, and then vertical blue and red stripes on the bottom. Heck, that would let them do a PSG style uni or something, be different from everybody else.

Anyway, a new stadium is a must. A full blown rebrand? Maybe. Just tweaking is more and more what I think about them. If you insist on changing the name, then just be Boston Revolution, or Boston City Revolution. If they move to Boston, they need to be a Boston team, not an NE team.

Flex Buffchest and Thai repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How does that compare to the drive to Foxborough?

18. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the day and what events are going around Boston. Sometimes is can 45 mins from downtown, but the next time it could take 1.5.

19. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boston Revolution, new logo, possible new colours, new stadium, et voila. I actually think Revolution is a pretty decent name, especially if you're trying to attract young people, it has an edge to it. The New England Revolution brand is tainted though, changing it to Boston represents the new angle to the team and a new start as an urban young people's team, not some soccer mom's team out in the boons. I'm not really sure if Europosing would work and Boston Celtic would just be hideous, it'd be so fake it'd hurt.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  20. Fhurion

Fhurion Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Ok, fine...you've all won me over. Boston Revolution it is!

Here's hoping this stadium deal happens though, as that'll be the pre-cursor to any kind of branding changes.

21. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    class name. get a old school style vibe stadium. lot of brick in it...sounds like a great combo.

22. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bascially the NE revolution model needs to be Sporting KC's approach. they sure turned that franchise around in terms of community/fan involvement etc.

23. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have happened with committed ownership. Name had little-to-nothing to do with it.

Revs could come up with a snazzy patch with minutemen on them. It would pretty much draw itself.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking if we want to make this happen sooner than later, just get Bob Kraft a new Euro girlfriend who loves soccer.

FuzzyForeigner repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For the love of soccer, I am willing to pimp anyone's daughter, girlfriend or wife.