Will the NE Revolution be rebranded The Boston Beacons?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Sep 24, 2012.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the New England Revolution name and logo. Good luck on your quest for a new stadium.

2. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I don't think there's much wrong with the current name at all. But if they were to rebrand I can't understand why there isn't more support for Boston Celtic. It would be superb and original for MLS! There would be an instant connection with the heritage of the area both cultural and sporting while there could also be an affiliation with Glasgow Celtic who have supporters throughout New England. There would be potential for huge online jersey sale and it could attract interest as far away the north Bronx where there is a Celtic supporters club.

3. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awkward when you already have the much more famous Boston Celtics NBA team.

What about Boston Pilgrims?

Boston Saints?

Boston Americans?

Boston Atlantic?

4. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    I understand the desire of some of the MLS 1.0 teams to rebrand, but is Revolution/the Revs really such a bad/unpopular name? (Clash, Burn, etc. I understand...but it's not like they're the Boston Massacre or something...)

But since we're having fun...
    Boston Terriers
    Boston Brahmins
    Boston Common

I had imagined that their new rivals, NY20, you know, the ones who will be playing in a Queens Park, were going to be the Rangers.;)

5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Boston Celtic FC vs New York Rangers FC, I wonder how Jim Rome would react - I can see his head exploding!

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Which team will his sons be on?

bigredfutbol and krudmonk repped this.
  7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's too many strings attached with that name. In fact, I think I would be turned off as a fan if they tried to copy Celtic.

Boston is a melting pot, and I don't think trying to isolate ethnicities is a particularly good idea. Only 20% of area residents have Irish/Scottish heritage. There's almost an equal number of French/French Canadian decendents. You can't forget about the sizable Italian population...and the largest Brazilian community in the US.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The title reminds me of one of the greatest quotes in television history:

edwardgr and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I would lean towards us rebranding and that doesn't mean a decision has been made."

That means it's only his opinion, nothing to get excited about.

10. Fhurion

Fhurion Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Precisely what I was referring to. It's not just home kits...it's using blue (especially a dark/navy blue) as the primary color scheme in kits, logos, advertising, websites, etc.

In the same way MLS needs more diversity in its kit design, it could do the same for broadening the use of colors.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is copying the local basketball team in any way original? Also there's the minor matter of trademark law.

12. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nba.com/celtics/

The 17 time NBA Champion Boston Celtics say hi!

ChrisCastig repped this.
  13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with Revolution as a name. Yeah, it's got a bit of the '90's thing going on, but it's one of the better names to come out of that decade. And it fits perfectly with Boston's history. Please, no more Euro-pandering, especially not in one of the oldest and most historically significant American cities.

14. Fhurion

Fhurion Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'd say leave "Celtics" to the NBA team. No need to name a team of a different sport the exact same as a team that already exists in the same city. For marketing, merchandise, identification and many other reasons...it's just a bad idea.

The more I think about it, Boston Rovers would be a solid handle, pay homage to Boston's heritage and soccer legacy and allow for a sleek color, kit and image makeover.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Rovers

ImNumberTen repped this.
  15. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's racist!! Oh wait, nevermind. LOL!

16. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I see that as more of an advantage than disadvantage. There's basketball teams throughout mainland Europe with the same name and colours as soccer teams in the same city. There are basketball teams called Real Madrid, Partizan Belgrade, FC Barcelona, Besiktas, Panathanaikos, Olympiacos, CSKA Moscow and PSG will be reintroduced. In Argentina you also have Boca Juniors and Rosario Central.

I think that if you introduce colours and a name that is already part of the cities heart and soul you are on to a winner. And I would keep to the football tradition and call the team Celtic, not "the Celtics".

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You left out something... the whole being part of the same organization thing.

ChrisCastig repped this.
  18. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    And that's a problem why?

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The Boston Celtics ownership group does not include Robert Kraft. The Revs and the Celtics are separate organizations. All of those teams teams with the same name in Europe and around the world are normally part of a club like what Sporting KC claims to be. That's why they're called clubs and FC is often part of their name to differentiate from other teams that may exist.

20. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I understand what you're saying but my observation is that a lot of fans possibly initially followed the basketball teams due to the similar name and colours to their football teams. Whatever billionaire or millionaire actually owns the team would be irrelevant to me. It

I grew up in Ireland seeing more Boston Celtics merchandise than any other american sports team even though it was during the Jordan Bulls era. That is purely down to the name of the team and it is seen as hip or whatever you might call it. A Boston Celtic soccer team would be the same.

21. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the point is that the Boston Celtics basketball team would likely sue to prevent the Revs from using the Celtics name. They wouldn't be too eager to allow another team in their market to copy their name.

22. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, its a little more than just one;
    Portland Timbers
    Seattle Sounders
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    San Jose Earthquakes

This means that over 20% of the MLS teams have historic NASL names
    If you add in the NEW NASL;
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers
    NY Cosmos

It looks like there actually is a trend for nostalgia. This may also go along with NFL teams going back to something approximating their historic uniforms;

Jets
    Giants
    Bills
    Chargers
    49ers

That being said, I REALLY hope N.E. doesnt go back to Teamen...

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'd love this to happen. Between the fifth-grade level smack and the indignation this name change would bring up, this place would be kept going for years. If Huss has kids, I'm sure the increased revenue would allow him to send them to med school. :)

Ismitje repped this.
  24. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Would they have a leg to stand on legally if the name was Celtic and not 'Celtics'? (can't understand why they used the plural) There are football teams the world over (some pro, most amature) and probably at least one in New England with the name Celtic.

p.s. I think New England Revolution is one of the best and most appropriatte names in MLS. I'm just talking if they were to rebrand, Boston Celtic would have great potential.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one of those teams re-branded into a NASL name (San Jose). The other 3 chose those names when they started their organizations (or the USL equivalent of their MLS organization).

Two "top-flight" teams in the same metro area using essentially the same name? Yeah, they'd have enough to stand on to at least haul MLS into court and rack up legal fees. IANAL but my guess is that the NBA/Celtics would probably wint he suit as well.