Will the Inter v Milan Incident affect MLS Fans?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CHICO13, Apr 13, 2005.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In light of the recent Peter Wilt firing and already strict stadium bans on flags, drumsticks, smoke, etc....will this tighten the noose around supporters groups? I couldn't believe my eyes when they actually showed the incident on SportsCenter at 6:00 pm yesterday 15 minutes into the show. It's made the news and I'm sure stadiums with big supporter groups have been put on notice. The Barra Brava in DC has been fighting the CSC for years with a couple of victories, a bunch of losses and one tie. Will this incident make things worse? Discuss....

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It won't because MLS and US venues are smart enough to ban flares and other incendiary devices.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

umm...Flares aren't allowed in Italy as for as I know, well into the stadiums I mean.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I'm not sure how this will effect MLS supporters groups in particular. However this does nothing to help foster positive attitudes by non-fans. I think if anything the stadium organizations and security that do actually "notice" this bit of news, will simply look at the lack of incidents in MLS matches and pat themselves ont he back for a job well done. :rolleyes:

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What happened?

Sachin

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Do you mean at the Inter v Milan match? Inter had a goal called back and the fans went nuts. They started throwing flares from the upper deck, one of which hit Milans GK burning him on his back and neck.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Damn... I can't imagine this really being a problem at MLS matches.

Sachin

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my memory is correct, there was an incident just a few season ago at the San Siro where a motor scooter was launched from the upper deck.

11. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Haha. How do you sneak a motor scooter into a stadium?

12. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Heree's a link

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week in the CONCACAF CCC at Saprissa there were incidents of coins being thrown onto the Pitch hitting players after a goal was disallowed.

I can understand being pissed at some calls, but why hurt your team by doing stupid shite like this?

Anyone hear of any charges against anyone involved in the flare throwing?

Wonder what the long term punishment against Inter will be?

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    UEFA will decide in Friday.

for some precedent - AS Roma was playing Dinamo Kiev in a Champion's League group stage match at their home stadium, losing 1 - 0 the referee was injured when he got hit with something from the stands sometime in the first half. Kiev was awarded the full 3 points, and Roma had to play the rest of their CL matches in an empty stadium.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    btw - the San Siro is home to both Inter and AC Milan. I don't know if that will enter in this at all, even though techincally Inter was the home team

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was aware of that, and I was thinking that since San Siro is home to both, and with AC Milan likly moving onto the next round, will they be punished or will it apply only to Inter?

I would think that the punishment for playing in an empty stadia would only apply to Inter.

17. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i suppose it's possible that AC is impacted, but if you think about it, it would seem somewhat unfair. first, and this is the biggest point, Inter was the home team and thus is responsible for the security at the game. they have to be responsible for allowing people to bring the flares into the stadium, which is pretty mindboggling. second, all of the chaos broke out yesterday after the Inter goal was called back, and without catching and interviewing the flare-throwers, it's a pretty fair guess that they are all disgruntled, frustrated, disappointed Inter fans. i mean i suppose an AC fan might have been trying to frame them, but seems going overboard to hit your own goalie. it would be a tougher question if the situation had been reversed (say this was AC's home game), but the way this played out it seems pretty easy.

as for the game, i can't imagine that it isn't awarded to AC. the reality is that they could have given up 2/3 goals in the last 15 minutes and still advance on the aggregate, so the combination of the current score, the time remaining, and Inter being responsible for the outburst again makes it pretty easy.

the bigger question they were discussing on espn yesterday is whether Inter should be penalized next year (or beyond) in European competitions. some thought a ban from the tournament next year is possible. seems more likely to me that they would be allowed in, but have to play in the dreaded empty stadium.

18. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Actually yes they are.

Its a tradition that fans throw flares onto the field before and after a game.

Of course it seems lately, they are thrown when things aren't going good, and sometimes just because they can.

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what sucks? I've always hoped that one day MLS would allow flares to be brought into the stadium because that really adds to the atmosphere at the games and would be something incredibly unique to the average American sports fan who's never seen flares at an NFL or MLB game before.

But now because these morons in Italy had to resort to this, the possibility of this happening is now slim to none.

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

The possibility was always slim to none. This event hasn't lessened our chances of being allwoed to bring them in, it is highly doubtful flares would EVER have been let into US stadiums. If stadiums in general are against flag poles, horns, samoking in the stands, etc what on earth makes you think they would allow flares?

ON a side note, the Juve/Liverpool match today (well tonight) should prove to be quite interesting.

21. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all likelihood, this will only impact Inter. At the San Siro, Curva Nord is all Inter fans, Curva Sud is for Milan fans (this applies regardless of which team is at "home" for a derby.) Dida was right in front of Curva Nord. If you haven't seen the video, watch it -- those flares are coming from the second tier.

I feel sorry for the Inter fans, as it was probably a small group of jackasses that wanted to start trouble, and everybody else will pay the price.

This won't directly impact MLS fans -- we already have very strict stadium requirements post Sept 11. We might see UEFA/FIFA develop some sort of standardized guidelines as far as what fans can bring into stadiums.

As for flares in MLS stadiums...this just won't happen. While it looks cool (as do the smoke bombs that I remember from the KC qualifier in 2001), it's a fair sacrifice for increased security. More streamers, flags, and giant banners will create a great soccer atmosphere, and without looking like a bomb.

22. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, flares, that burn at temperatures exceeding 500 degrees, in a crowd of people, sounds like a good idea to me. How bout if everyone brings a rocket launcher and a shotgun too, sure would look/sound cool, you know add to the atmosphere. Honestly.

23. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    The important thing to remember is that the act was malacious. No one accidently throws a flaming flare at a gk. That said, if I had to gamble my feeling is that Serie A will allow flares back. The NFL, MLB, NBA, (even Nascar) for example sells its game for 'familes'. There's more money in it that way, at least according to the the NFL. Yet does anyone remember when the Cleavland Brown fans threw beer bottles at the opposing team. Would you take your family to something like that?

I remember thinking 'lol. they're making such a big deal about this (and i agree someone could have lost an eye there - though they were wearing helmets) wonder what they would say about urine bags, batteries and now cell phones"

The nfl, was quick to acction on that one. and i applaud them 100% for thier action. Yet, I think most ppl can agree that flares, smokes, and even cell phones are safe in most stadiums, the catch is that they don't injure anyone. Once injuries come around - its a saftey issue. And if Inter gets a penalty from playing in an empty stadium to ban on CL play. than i'm for it. As fans we have to prove with a doubt that we can handle our sh1t. Right now in the DCU forum, we're debating of how to have flags at the stadium, which Chico brought up. Because like most but not all MLS teams. Flag poles are not allowed. as if we were really gonna wack our fellow fans or even worse do an Inter during the play of an MLS game :rolleyes:

As fans we have to prove that we can handle our stuff and that we don't need to be supervised. if we prove we're capable - we'll get our flares don't worry. its a matter of time - and money - more money than time. but u know what i mean.

what are they saying in the Italian papers right now?

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Erm guys, this is the 65839th time something like this happened, how is it different from 65838th?

While I was allways against throwing flares (mostly because it burned our expensive tartan track around pitch) it's up to the group leadership to stop it or allow it. If they like it, it goes on, if not then it stops after first dumbass gets carried out on a stretcher.

There are many more dangerous things to throw than a flare... coins, rocks, batteries, cellphones, knives, bottles. Or severed pig's head :D