Will Packwood at Birmingham City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mike hunt64, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. Im simply saying our CM is getting a bit full (which is good), even with the youthful players (ie. Garza [who's been moved back to LB at Sporting], Lletget, Packwood, & Jeffrey just to name a few). Wish we had some more promising players in other positions.

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Packwood was called into the US U-20 squad for the Dallas Cup.

Also, he notched the winning goal in an Academy game against Coventry City on March 6. He scored a header off a set piece, like a good American. ;)

[​IMG]

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Will. I'd be willing to bet he's the youngest of all called up. He's 17, IIRC. Last season, as a 16 yr. old, I was impressed in the 45 minutes I saw him play in the FA Youth Cup Final on Setanta against Liverpool. BC were thrashed and he was pulled at HT but that was because they needed an extra attacker. Will was pretty solid. I think he's going to be one to watch.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope he's still 16! :eek: and will be until May. He's the youngest player on the Dallas Cup team and he's the third youngest player to receive a U20 callup so far this cycle, behind Michael Ambrose (FC Dallas Juniors) and Luis Gil.

The fact that's a regular for Birmingham's U18s and that he's made appearances for the Reserves, is good I think. Premier League academies are competitive and it seems that he's a little ahead of the curve.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Packwood has started the last four Birmingham reserve games from what I could find on Brum's site.

Birmingham City doesn't have a team in the EPL Reserve league but still has a team playing mostly closed door reserve games.

So it looks like Will has been promoted from the U-18 team, as he hasn't appeared with them since he started playing with the reserves full time.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds odd. I wonder why a club would do that

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Birmingham aren't the only teams who chose not to participate. Fulham, Stoke, and Tottenham are not in the league either.

The EPL Board now allows clubs to play the reserve games at the teams training grounds and supporters are not allowed to attend those games, they are closed door. Maybe that had something to do with it?

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    dont want other clubs scouting their young players

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Derby did the same thing. It's a growing trend.

They have their youth teams............and if they want to schedule a reserve game, they do that. I've noticed they tend to do that more often when there's a first team player returning from injury.

10. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
  12. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Leeds resigned from the reserve league this April, Ken Bates had the following to say:
    And this is from the official press release:

13. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I thought I read somewhere that Birmingham (along with a couple other teams) did away with there reserve teams. Either way, it's a good step that he's on a pro contract now instead of an academy scholarship.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They did but their reserves still played closed door games, and Will played a few games with the reserves at the end of the season.

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I love reading stuff like this:

2) Will Packwood (Birmingham City)

It probably escaped the notice of most fans when the lanky defensive midfielder inked his first pro deal this month after working his way up the club ranks for three years. With the Brums going down to the Championship and Packwood's burning star on the rise, his career path won't stay a secret for long.

"Will is the hardest-working young man I've ever worked with," Birmingham Reserves manager Richard Beale told MLSsoccer.com. "He has a passion and a level of commitment which surpasses the majority of young players in his age group, and that gives him a great chance.

"He is improving week on week and becoming a more complete player. He still has a lot to do to become a first-team player here at Birmingham, but he is held in high regards."

Packwood will open the season with the second team, but should spend plenty of time training with the first team and could even go on loan for that pro debut. Beale says the 18-year-old has enough in his locker to enjoy that memorable graduation day this term.

"As a central midfielder, he is in a very competitive position but he can also play [center back] and that gives him flexibility," said the coach. "It's a big year for him here at Birmingham City. With a new manager in place in Chris Hughton, he must keep working hard to impress. But I've got no doubts he'll do that because he is an extremely focused young man."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/29/postcard-europe-checking-next-big-thing

The "hardest-working young man I've ever worked with" quote is what caught my attention. Hard work alone will not guarantee that Packwood progresses to the Birmingham City 1st team and beyond (a little talent is needed as well), but very often we see determined, hard-working players pass others who possess perhaps a bit more innate ability.

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Packwood just started his own new blog where he talks about his life and career

http://myuksoccerjourney.com/

He also said this

18. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nice to see more potential depth at CB...maybe one day we will see Packwood and Brooks ???

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes..

He's will be in the matchday 18 for Birmingham tomorrow against Chelsea

23. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. These kids ain't fooling around.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn!!! Big props for the kid. That's awesome and I couldn't be happier or him. He's slowly but surely making his way to the senior team. Will's had progression every season. Definitely doing it in the right manner. Playing tomorrow against Chelsea would be icing on the cake but just being on the pine, soaking up that atmosphere is an education in and of itself.

25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States