Will Packwood at Birmingham City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mike hunt64, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    great name, anyway.

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yes it was a good game. Its nice to see him getting minutes, even if the Birmingham reserves are having a tough time. Great experience.

3. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only 16 or 17? this is very impressive to have an american getting minutes on a prem reserve side at that age. Even if they're relegated, he could still be playing first team games in the CCC at 19.

That'd be pretty damn good.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This is awesome.

Add him on to the list for the 2011 WYC Squad.

Our defense is gonna be stacked.

Agboussoumonde, Okugo, Will Packwood, Greg Garza - 3 of those 4 are with pro teams.

What a defense already!

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's excellent news! May it be the first of many reserve team matches. He's moving up the latter and that's all you can ask for. I caught a 45 minute glimpse of Will last season on Setanta when BC played Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup final. He played the first 45 and was subbed out for tactical reasons (the aggregate was against BC in the two-legged affair). He looked very astute in his passing and movement. I believe he was the youngest Blues player. Will is certainly worth keeping an eye on in the coming years. I hope he trots out for the baby Nats in the coming year.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just throwing this out there, but if you think that england isn't going to call up any kid who is 16 and playing reserve decently well, you are crazy.

I just don't see how, Packwood being in the prem this year, we can slide him through the cracks. he is equally english and american, and being that he could run to wembley and back eight times in the same time it takes him to fly here, I don't see him turning away England.

This is, of course, assuming he turns out to be any good.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on how he feels about his identity and nationality. Are there any quotes that lead one to believe he leans one way or the other?

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really, but lets face it, playing for England is probobly way more fun for a player than playing for the US. The fans. playing alongisde John Terry, Lampard and Rooney beats Onyewu, dempsey and Davies any day.

I sure hope he decides for the US, and if he turns out to be any good it will be amazingly satisfying for me as a fan. but if hes 50/50 on each country, I think we know he would take England's callup if they gave him one.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything is possible, but I think you are being way too pessimistic about this. If Packwood were truly 50/50 split between the countries, maybe England's greater stature would be the tiebreaker. However, if his decision is based on what he actually feels, perhaps the odds aren't so bad. (I have no idea what he feels. But he's apparently from Concord, MA and played for the Greater Boston Bolts).

I'm interested to see if he makes the U17 World Cup. Provisional cap-tying ain't what it used to be, but it could forge a strong connection between Packwood and the US program. Anyway, the chances of him preferring England AND being good enough aren't very high.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Can we stop freaking out about players that are still playing for us????

If you wanna freak out about any U-17 freak out about Sebastien Lletget who said he would play for Italy a while ago and is apparently now no longer on our U-17 team.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He then came around and said that he was committed to the USA.

I'm not freaking out about it, just making conversation. Stir the pot a bit. I think its awesome that hes getting reserve minutes, and who knows, maybe some first team minutes next year at age 17.

14. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    There is nothing to be freaked out about Lletget neither.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/supe...id-9760-us-u17-mnt-player-adjusting-to-london

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  16. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    U17 WC update

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5364

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  18. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  19. MidVision

MidVision New Member

May 2, 2007
  20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems pretty well grounded and is improving well. Having made those reserve appearances already, I would be surprised if he doesn't sign professionally.

22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hoping he succeeds, but man, our CM position is going to be filled to the brim if our youth players actually succeed. Lets hope we get a bit diversity in our depth

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we both know we can always use and need more quality players.