Will Packwood at Birmingham City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mike hunt64, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    None of us watch these players play, so we are all just guessing who is the best. The point I am trying to make is that I'd like to see Packwood get the next chance of the Championship CB's. Gooch has had too many second chances with the USMNT. Watching him play against Ukraine, its obvious that he isn't good enough to play at a high level anymore. I don't know about Ream. I haven't seen him play in a long time, but I didn't think he was good even when he was playing for the USMNT.

2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just gave you more evidence than you provided. Both have won more individual honors than Packwood; both have played better for their clubs recently in the same level of competition (fan sites and official sites both confirm); and both have more experience and were chosen by the coaches to play in Ukraine;

You stated he isn't going to get a first appearnace on the road in europe; I ask why not? You do realize that JAB received his first start on the road against BiH? If Juergen did it for JAB during a road match, why can't he for Packwood at a neutral site match? Even if your assertion on his first appearance is taken at face value, wouldn't Klinsmann at least get him some time on the pitch. He never entered the match. This contradicts what has been done with other players.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've yet to see the evidence of the individual honors. I'd like to see the evidence. I don't rate the opinions of a fan site considering they are just commenting on how their players played and aren't comparing potential USMNT players.

Onyewu and Brooks started against Ukraine because they were familiar faces that Klinsmann could put out there in a game that he was taking seriously. I don't think Klinsmann would be bold enough to start two 20 year old CB's on the road in Europe.

The Ukraine matched showed us that Onyewu isn't good anymore. Packwood might not be ready, but Onyewu isn't good enough. If you watched that performance and came away thinking anything other than he's not good enough anymore for the USMNT, then you are working with an agenda.

4. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was the Will Packwood club thread, not the 'which USMNT CB sucks a little less than the next' thread.

ImaPuppy, dwsmith1972, Deeneaus and 5 others repped this.
  5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not playing today with a tight hamstring

ttrevett, Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noting the comment about keeping this on topic.. big win for Birmingham today, Packwood was unfortunately out with injury. Spector did line up. Big win for Birmingham for this year and potentially next for both players.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please put the word "guess" in your posts then.

Deeneaus repped this.
  8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I know this doesn't fall under YA but...

Franco Panizo ‏@FrancoPanizo 18m
    Small but interesting note: When asked about Gil, Yedlin, other players in next generation, Klinsmann mentioned Will Packwood. #USMNT

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could also look at it as bad for Yedlin and Gil's World Cup chances to be lumped with Packwood. No youth at this World Cup for the USMNT?

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's really good that he is getting this encouragement from US Soccer

Not to derail this thread (maybe the discussion should be moved to other forums), but the youth at this world cup would be the Juan Agudelo group of u-20s and u-23s that have yet to really contribute outside of a few players as professionals let alone the national team level.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Julian Green............................:)

I think that Klinsmann has called up 7 players eligible for the 2016 Olympic team in the last several camps (O'Neill, Gil, Yedlin, Green, Packwood, Cropper, Brooks).

Brooks, Yedlin, and Green have a "fightin' chance" based on playing positions of need.

Once the WC ends, Packwood presumably gets more of a look. For right now he should just focus on his club career.

ckl26 repped this.
  12. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    the class of 1993

Brooks, 1-28-1993

Packwood 5-21-1993

Yedlin 7-9-1993

Gil 11-14-1993

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And we can't forget that Brooks is like two months younger than Agudelo.

Sometimes these "cuts" of our player pool which come out of youth soccer are a little nonsensical. McInerney is also a late 92 if I remember correctly.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'd also add Caleb Stanko to that last..looking like he'll make his Bundesliga debut with Freiburg next fall...that '93 class is looking very very good.

15. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Very true, the thing that sticks out a bit for me is the age difference between Gil and Brooks, but I suppose once they are past 20 years the age is less important

and the other thing of course is that they cover the entire year not just the early months.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Packwood back in Birmingham's starting lineup today, but unless you're a Blackburn fan, the good news ends there. Down 3-0 early.

Spector not in 18.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ended 4-2, Packwood went 90

With the day's other results, Birmingham sunk from 18th to 21st and are only above the relegation zone on goal difference. However, they do have three games left and most of the other teams have only two.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    without the injury i dont think it would've been in doubt. He was on a great trajectory prior to that so lets hope he can have a great year and get Bham promoted.

20. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #420 Tom Collingsworth, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Hopefully Will has recaptured all the potential he had prior to his injury. At this stage he should be back to 100% physically as long as it didn't do irreversible damage to his athleticism, which it sometimes can unfortunately.

This whole situation is very similar to that of Marc Pelosi. It's a damn shame that hack from West Brom tore Marc's leg up like that. There were actually quite a few people that thought Pelosi had the highest ceiling among our U-20's last cycle, before that injury.

I hope Marc can make a full recovery and get back to the player he once was but it's also taken him a lot longer than it took Will to get back on the field. If Aaron Ramsey is any indication it can take up to 3 years to recover physically AND mentally from such a catastrophic injury.

jakepc42 repped this.
  21. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Saw this last week, forgot to post amidst all the WC buzz

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The accent on this guy.

7211 and FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he bounces around from an American accent, a British accent, and then at some points he's got a little Scottish there as well. Where was he born??

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concord, Massachusetts. But he's been in the UK for a little while now.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Revere would roll over in his grave to hear a guy from Concord talking like that!

mike4066 repped this.