Will MLS have a $4.5 million salary cap in 5 years time?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by vevo5, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If you spend $50K/player at the bottom of your roster, you got a "depth", if not quality, of 10 for $500K or so. That means, assuming the single DP is off the books or even absent, you have a $4.5M to spend on ~ 15 players or $300K per player for your most probable rotation. $300K/player is roughly double of what an average MLS starter makes today and should give an individual advantage in ~ 7-10 positions per teams.

That should make for a better squad, everything else being equal.

2. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 ways teams can get allocation money

1) Teams that have missed the playoffs the previous seasons
    2) Expansion teams in their first season
    3) Transferring a player to a foreign club for value
    4) Teams playing in the CONCACAF Champions League Group Stages or Knockout Round (with additional money being given for each of those a team is in for a given season)
    5) Teams can trade in 2 of their 10 "Off-Budget" (non-cap) roster spots for allocation money
    6) Teams that have yet to purchase a 3rd Designated Player Rule split the money paid by teams getting their 3rd slot as allocation money

I doubt that MLS will set aside $19 million each year for allocation money. ($1 mil on average for each club).

3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the TV ratings stays the same as today the answer is a big fat NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

4. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they could always do what baseball does with ttheir cap and make it a soft cap, any team over X amount has to pay X% to the league to be distributed, this way your LA, NY,and Seattle's of the world get to spend more and we get our "super" clubs.

5. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that #6 is no longer true. I think in 2012 they waive the 3rd DP buy in.

Also MLS does not have to set aside 19M a year in allocation to be able to pay for an expansion of allocation funds, they need to create a new revenue stream. Right now I think the first 200k of a shirt sponsorship goes to MLS, the league could open up a secondary shirt sponsorship (back/sleeve/shirts) and send that money directly into the teams allocation budget. The league could find a naming sponsor "Allstate MLS" or whatever and send that cash directly into the allocation budget for teams to spend beyond the cap budget.

The problem here is that allocation is not linear, we didn't have this rule or system in place a decade ago....its evolving. So your stance is that there is no way that in 5 years, MLS could continue to evolve this mechanisms...that it will remain exactly what it is today. My stance is that you could be correct but you may be wrong. Allocation and 'off budget' roster spots are mechanisms in which MLS can spend well beyond the cap if they choose. If MLS chooses to be more agressive in their spending these are the systems they will use, and it is quite possible they could use them. I would never say that I have inside knowledge and that I know what MLS will do, but I am just suggesting that with the current system MLS has, they can spend well beyond the cap if they decide to.

6. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    The fee is waived if the third DP is 23 years old or younger:

2012 Roster Rules and Regulations

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    need to start getting 500 million dollar tv deals. wont happen till we have more teams.

8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the logic of more teams = more national TV money. How will adding a team in Minnesota significantly increase viewership of a mid season LA @ NY match up.

More teams probably will increase viewership when it comes to All-star games, and perhaps even MLS cup, but it won't translate to noticeably higher regular season ratings.

When the NHL expanded in the 90's, national TV audiences shrank. They replaced a few big market national TV matchups with smaller market games and the numbers took a dive.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

400 million to revenue of 3 billion....

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the thinking is that more people involved (Minnesota, Atlanta) the more people will care about the league and tune in to watch random MLS games.

Not sure if that works very much, I am a season ticket holder for the FIRE and watch their away games (at home or at a bar) but outside the CCL and US Open cup I do not really watch that many MLS games not involving the FIRE, I assume most fans are like that (minus watching CCL and US Open Cup).

11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More markets means revenue increases. ads going into 32 markets is always going to be worth more than just 19 markets.

ALWAYS. thats how tv revenue is powerful. this is why EPL is working to be shown in every country in the world for more tv revenue.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but for TV revenue to increase, one of two things needs to happen.

1.) more markets/teams lead to more nationally televised games...or
    2.) additional fans tune into out of market games

Why would either of those things happen? Why would NBCSN or ESPN increase the number of games they show because there are more markets? Unless the hypothetical expansion teams draw huge ratings, going from 19 to 24 (or more) teams won't cause the networks to increase the number of events they show.

Then there's the ratings. Why would ratings increase? You'd be lucky to get 5,000 more eyes on TVs per new team for out of market games. 90+% of the fans that watch national games are fans of the two teams involved. Adding a team in Orlando won't significantly increase ratings for DC@NY.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt matter...its about MORE markets seeing your product. not more face per game. but more markets overall.

troutseth repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yeah it does matter.

The 14-20K in attendance and the other 5-10K watching on TV in Minnesota aren't going to do diddly shit for the MLS TV revenues.

Jasonma repped this.
  15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might get more money from the Adidas deal and league sponsorships, but "more markets seeing your product" isn't going to increase TV revenue. Higher ratings or more games on TV will increase your TV revenue.

If you had a 24 team league, MLS would have higher revenue. Unfortunately, that revenue would be be shared by a greater number of teams. You would need to pay more referees, more players, more FOs. Ultimately, I would argue (if you want to get into specifics) that you'd end up with slightly less revenue per team.

redinthemorning and HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No TV have to pay more because more markets (different faces not necesarrily a ton MORE but DIFFERENT faces) will watch the games....thats different households dollars. Thats worth more in ad revenue to tv so the deal is negociated for more.

this shouldnt be that hard to explain.

DIFFERENT households.

not the same households over and over.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how TV ad revenue works. The advertisers pay based on viewership. They don't care if you take away a NY-DC game and add a Orlando-Minnesota game, they're looking at demographics (mostly sex, age, and ethnicity) and total viewers.

Like I said, the league sponsors might be willing to pay more, but the networks aren't going to see a huge uptick in revenue. Ultimately, you're going to be spreading that small increase in revenue around to more teams.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you are the worst negociators in the world. You are dead wrong.

NHL saw a MASSIVE uptick in revenue. 100 million worth. You dont think MLS wants 100 million in revenue.

I cant believe MLS wants to remain mediocre. thankfully Don is not you and he WILL increase this and WILL expand and WILL build the league. THANK GOD.

19. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arlo White@arlowhite
    Garber reaffirms #MLS aim to be one of the best leagues in the world by 2022. "I can assure you, we will reach our goal"

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ What does that have to do with the price of rice in China ?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV deal is based on TV rating.

MLS TV rating has been stagnated in the last 10-12 years.

I don't think each MLS team will make $3 mil a year anytime soon.

$3 mil per team per year = $3 mil x 19 teams = $57 mil a year TV deal. I doubt MLS will be getting a $57 mil per year TV deal in the near future. Not with TV rating the way it is.

There are no MUST WATCH MLS matches on TV.

(and even if each club get $3 million in TV revenue, that won't raise the salary cap up significantly to where MLS can overtake let's say the MExican LEague)

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False. 100% false.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Also false.

24. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    What is the sum of current MLS TV contracts? Does anyone have that handy?

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would be nice. As it is though, I really think with the DP's and whatever, they are spending a lot more than just 4 million. If anything I think they should rework or rethink the DP and/or grandfathered rules because they really aren't the same or fair for all the clubs. I mean you had Marquez and Henry making 4 or 5 million a piece but then everyone else is making anywhere from $50-150k. I'm sure the salary cap is there for a reason but to spend 9 or 10 mil on two players in the same team at the expense of other players and clubs in what is supposed to be a single entity league and where the initial concept was to have competition remain on the pitch and not in a highly paid expensive has been, really makes no sense to me. Wouldn't it be better if clubs were allowed to spend 10 mil on 4 or 5 different younger no name players as opposed to spending all that money on two over 33/34's? I'd think so.