Will Landon Donovan be first choice in Brazil?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DIMITAR BERBATOV!, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No for reals, wth are you talking about?

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. I guess I can show my ignorance too. Why would JK want him to fail - he's trying to win games?

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think you know what ignorance means.

Only ignorance I see is some guy with no clue what he's talking about, going around saying Jurgen would love to have Landon fail in Brasil, simply because that guy is ignorant to the situation at hand, then not being able to back up his ignorant statement.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Only ignorance I see is some guy with no clue what he's talking about, going around saying he doesnt understand what anybody is talking about then saying he knows what the guy is talking about after all because otherwise how could he pass judgment on what he was saying?

Your problem is that you are not smart enough to engage an argument so you act like you are big stuff by putting people down. You haven't said a thing yet yet you keep blabbing on and on and on

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not just Jurgen wanting him to fail, apparently so would all of us if we were in Jurgen's shoes.

One of the more ridiculous posts I've seen here in awhile.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one who started with the insults and you're the one who chose insults instead of explaining such an asinine post.

You get questioned, then reply with insults instead of explaining further, then go on to tell others they're the ones who can't properly engage in an argument. You trolling?

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Where did you get that from? You are suggesting that I claim to know what posters here would do if they were on Klinsmann's shoes? Man, you are some kind of dumb, dude. I'm done here. You are on ignore which I only mention to explain why I will not be reacting to your endless farts.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your words.

He would love to have Landon Donovan fail for him in Brazil. You would too if you were in Klnsi's place.

Yet, you have three people here who have no idea what you're talking about and instead of an explanation, you're deflecting and throwing a tantrum. You also made it personal.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He would be my first choice but with JK I think its almost a coinflip at this point. Zusi has shown quite well though..wouldn't blame Jurgen either way because it really is a tough call.

11. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    #36 aquablue, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I highly doubt he will. Where does he fit? I don't see him on the wing anymore due to his declining speed. That leaves him as the CAM, but Dempsey is slated for that position. The only option is him playing on the wing but in a more creative and narrow role, rather than a true winger. This leaves us without a true high speed wide counter attack unless we put FJ on the other side to compensate. As i've said before, I believe that the fast counter is the only chance we have to get a score against the to teams in a our group given we can't match their midfield and our strikers are in poor form. If we put Donovan and Zusi out there as wingers, we have just removed our wide threat on the counter against top level teams. Dempsey is slow that I don't see a fast counter occurring up the middle against the likes of Portugal or Germany's CL level defense. We need somebody who can fly down the wing, and in my mind that is FJ or Shea right now (perhaps Green).

Donovan would work in a 4-3-3 with the wing backs attacking the flanks.

Chandler - Besler - Cameron - FJ
    Jones - Bradley - Beckerman
    Donovan Altidore Dempsey

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fast counters are much less common under JK than they were under BB.

13. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Which is a mistake. How on earth are we going to break down a CL level defense without the horses to play possession footie at this level?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The real plan is for Russia 2018. Remember?

15. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Fair enough.

16. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    #41 aquablue, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    I still think there is a high probability that we'll be bunkering and countering against portugal as it is the sensible approach when you look at what horses we have to put out there on the field. The pace and accurate shot of Ronaldo, et al, will be devestating against the likes of MLS'ers Besler and Gonzo without extra protection. The spirit of Bob will loom over this team for a while I think, despite JK's interest in changing the way the US plays. A point is a point, and JK is no fool to think we can play pretty football with the top teams in the world. I predict a bunker from the start to finish. The temptation will be too great to resist even for JK the purist otherwise Ronaldo could eat us alive. Our D is just too mistake prone to deal with the likes of their attackers without the two mids falling back to provide cover. This will basically cede the midfield to Portugal and allow only for breaks on the counter to threaten their barn. Bunker Bob will rise again folks, mark my words and this is where we need a speedster on at least one wing. FJ maybe?

17. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched every one of Portugal's matches in Euro 2012. They aren't the offensive powerhouse that you make them out to be. Nani is not really a goal scorer, their strikers are worse than ours, and their midfielders are possessors/distributors rather than attacking threats. So basically if you shut down Ronaldo then they'll have a tough time finding goals. No easy task, but it's not like they're Holland/Spain/Brazil/Argentina where they have 3-4 guys who can kill you.

That doesn't mean they're a one man team. Their midfield and defense are better than ours. Hands down. However, they don't have a lot of great outright attackers. They're more of a solid team that avoids mistakes, plays a tidy game, and looks to grind out results. They don't roll teams over and demolish them typically. We can get something from the game. All it will take is a strong defensive performance and 1-2 moments of brilliance or luck on offense.

I'd probably give us a 35-40% chance at getting a draw or win against them.

18. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Zusi and Bedoya have both started out right and done well.
    Bedoya might be peaking at the right time. Both him and Zusi are work horses and we might need that against Portugal with their speed out wide.

I could see Donovan starting against Ghana and not the last 2 games. Now if Germany ends up being a must win.....no way he doesn't start. Each game will and should be a different line up in my opinion.

Regardless we will know what to expect come warm up game time.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't ruled out another WC.

“From a physical standpoint, the game is so much faster now than it's ever been, and one of my greatest attributes is my ability to run and my speed. As you get older, that sort of tails off,” he told Mashable. “It's not that I don't think I'll be capable, but it might be more difficult at 36 to keep moving the same way. So we'll see. I certainly haven't made any decisions yet. It would certainly be difficult to do another [World Cup], but not impossible.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2014/04/landon-donovan-real.html