Will Bruin: the American Vieri

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Superpippo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Mac is easy to like. Hes got a little Wynalda, a little Wondo, and a little Twellman all wrapped into one. hes gonna b e a good one.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda in the few times I got to see him play was nothing like any of those guys. This was after the injuries. He was incredibly savvy and had a great int'l first touch....which none of those guys have unfortunately.

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Mac is a thoughtful young player. As for the first touch, he is still playing above the level of his peers.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That aint a compliment.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh I wouldn't necessarily argue against that. My own opinion of Jack Mac has waxed and waned quite a bit, and I'm of the opinion that it's just too early (and for myself, too difficult) to form anything like a "final" opinion of him and his talents yet. The one thing that's basically indisputable is that as a 20 year old he's scored over 10 MLS goals (too lazy to look that up) which puts him well ahead of the curve, even if he has managed to scuff quite a few as well.

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should get a look, January (if it still happens) and possibly the Gold Cup.

bmo180 repped this.
  7. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair Bruin has been more successful for Houston then Jozy ever was for Red Bulls. 12 goals in regular season not counting the 3 he's scored in the post season.

Sometimes i wonder how quickly we are to give our local players less credit then those abroad. Bruin may not be National quality but i wonder what people really base things on? Bruin has a nose for the goal. I think he should be called up for a friendly or a camp cupcake (if it happens) and if he succeeds be called up later.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but at the same time on the other hand Jozy was scored about the same number of goals for the Red Bulls spread out over 2+ seasons around the time that Bruin was wrapping up his high school career and going off to play in college. Jozy and Bruin are both 1989s. That's how much ahead of Bruin (and all of their age group peers) Jozy is.

Which is not to say that I don't think that Bruin doesn't belong in the discussion at all, but saying that Bruin at 23 compares favorable to Jozy at 18 doesn't really prove all that much.

sXeWesley and russ repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I've mentioned this same thing in other threads, but with Ching on his team, Bruin is in one of the best setups he can possibly be in to learn the center forward role.

I really hope there is a mentor-student situation going on there, and that Kinnear has even made it a specific project.

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair, Jozy was also a part of the U17's and the Red Bulls academy. Bruin's from Missouri with less of an inside track. I'm not down playing Jozy, in fact i've been very vocal on his return to the nats. I was simply using him as an example to compare.

I was simply using him as a mark. Jozy found his first cap at 18 had less production. However, i want to say that goal production in MLS is not a clear indicator of production with the nats. I was merely pointing out that he deserves a shot, whether it be a friendly or camp cupcake (if it sticks around).

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I watched the Sporting Kansas match and the commentator's banter stated there was strong mentor-protege relationship going. Looks to be mutually beneficial as Bruin is facilitating Ching's career extension.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jack McInerny is a smart and effective young center forward. The physical tools are a question mark.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS doesn't view itself as a training league. The MLS business model isn't based on transfers. It's also not really based on MLS teams per se, but to my understanding, the ancillary revenue generated through team 'ownership' -- music concerts, parking, concessions, conventions, etc...

MLS tends to charge a premium for its players. The market looks at a player of a certain profile making 90K and says 'ok this is the transfer price'. MLS says 'no way'. Neymar has a valuation of over 40 million euro, for example. Of course however, he is making $4 million in salary and another $4 million in endoresments. Jozy Altidore was sold to Villareal for $10 million but was making $100,000:ROFLMAO:

Arsenal wanted Tim Ream. Tim Ream was making $40,000:laugh:. You think MLS let him go for what a $40K salary indicates he should have gone for? No way! And no Arsenal for Tim Ream.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Much like Geoff Cameron and Brian Ching, Bruin has some of that "running beast" factor that may extend his pro career into his mid-30's too. (Ching is 34 and a half himself)

Will is far from being a finished product but a decent 2nd tier league Euro club may take him on as a project. A transfer fee may prove to be a stumbling block. On the other hand, Dom Kinnear has been very open to selling those who had reasonable bids for them and, of the MLS coaches, actually has a good record of his ex-players doing well in Europe.

15. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I watched a few too many Houston games this season. Bruin is one of the few American strikers that plays regularly as the lone man in a 433 setup. This alone should give him a bit of an advantage over say Lenhart, who I'd view as direct competition for a spot. I think if Houston gets serious about going to the 433 and makes roster moves in that direction this winter, he could flourish. Kanji doesn't provide alot of service to Bruin. Houston needs someone playing lwf that is going to either be a danger to score, or provide service. Kanji is neither.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I don't disagree. There are a few MLS forwards that have had strong seasons this year that I would like to see be given an appropriate chance within the next year or so, and Bruin's the youngest of that group. One of them (EJ) is currently having a run.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  18. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruin is a great finisher for a player with his athleticism. He needs to work on his hold-up play to really become the complete package. I don't think he has been all that effective in the 4-3-3 formation as the lone forward. In fact, the time they changed to that formation is when he dipped in goal scoring production. Now that they are back in the 4-4-2, he has picked back up the production. A lot of credit has to go to the recent play of Calen Carr, Boniek, and Davis who have provided tremendous service to him lately.

Marko72 repped this.
  19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell of a sophomore year for Bruin no doubt

21. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want Bruin to get called up soon along with DeLeon. Two guys I think can really help us.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    A week ago I would have said they were the perfect candidates for the Gold Cup.

Now it looks like that have a chance for Honduras in February.
    Solid prospects heating up at the right time.

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I completely agree about the physical tools and I have been a fan of his since he began in MLS. He has to become more of a 90 minute forward in order to really take that next step. What impresses me the most is that when he got benched after starting for a while, he just waited his turn and seized the opportunity. Its something that a lot of young players don't necessarily have. He seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, aside from the two stupid red cards during games. (1 of which was for defending a teammate). You never hear that Mcinerney or Bruin dont practice hard or create locker room issues like some of their youth peers.

I am kind of shocked McInerney didnt get a call against Russia to just be in camp.

Bruin is just improving and improving. Frankly, I would rather take someone who scores goals than someone who has potential but hasnt showed it yet.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are shocked that Jack McInerney was not invited to a NT camp at this time?

25. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Bruin for the USMNT?

I've never considered that at all while watching him play. He's been good for us (Houston) but not to the point where I've ever thought Jurgen should call him up.

Interesting.