Will a League Two style Wage Cap work for Major League Soccer?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by ExeterCiti, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will a League Two style Wage Cap work for MLS? --- limits spending to 40% of club turnover---

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
  1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think I didn't know they already brought in their first DP? It was talked about during the GC. That doesn't explain why Kroenke will fork over 66M for Ozil yet waited years to even bring in a single DP.

That however doesn't begin to touch on what I said. Good lord you have an inferiority complex.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's a businessman first? While I think a Torres-like DP could have been financially successful prior to this I can see the business side that maybe it wasn't worth the investment. MLS is business first, and so far Kroenke's on-field decisions have for the most part been sensible business moves.

Off field, on the other hand....

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm less concerned about Ozil and more concerned about Kei Kamara's move to Middlesbrough. On one level I get it: he's 29, he wants to get to England and the clock is ticking for him. But Middlesbrough doesn't appear primed for promotion, so he may well spend two years in the Championship, which, apparently, he finds a better option than remaining in MLS.

Earlier in this thread, I agreed with Stan's point that MLS players might soon reach the point where players would conclude remaining in MLS might be professionally preferable to a lower level EPL club. Kamara's move from a very good situation in MLS to the Championship suggests we are still a long ways off from that point.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexican League says, Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

5. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Oh god not again. They did not use a European model. Just because they have pro/rel does not make it European. They started out without pro/rel and gradually created it artificially through a new 2nd Division 6-7 years after the first J. League season.

Today it is different to Europe. Hell, even the contracts are different than from Europe!

6. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agree. The average to above-average MLS player can still mainly get into Championship to mid-Premier League level clubs. I mean, look at Roger Espinoza. He was one of the better players in MLS, moved to Wigan in the Premier League, and now finds himself in the Championship.

Tim Ream was close to Rookie of the Year in MLS, goes to Bolton Wanderers in the Premier League and now he finds himself in the Championship.

However, it is better than when Robbie Rogers did good in MLS, went to Leeds United in the Championship but could not make it there nor League One.

7. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    mexican league is single table

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really ?

La liguilla says you're full of it.

Achowat repped this.
  9. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you unaware of the playoffs south of the border? Cause you should look into that. I guess it might be a single table until the playoffs arrive, but it sure isn't how they determine a champion.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't 3 years ago, when it was still the most popular league in this country. So obviously soccer fans here don't really need single table to like a league.

And regardless, it still uses a playoff to determine its champion.

11. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    HailtotheKing, Achowat and JasonMa repped this.
  12. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Would a League 2 style wage cap work for MLS? YES

Does the BS bully brigade want it? NO

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 jond, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    I'd do the same if I was Kei. I know some will disagree, but I still rate the Championship above MLS, by a decent amount, and think the atmosphere for the most part is superior. Sure Kei was in a good market for MLS and SKC has a great stadium, great fan support, but the road games for the most part in the Championship will be superior. Higher tempo, more quality through out rosters, much higher media pressure.

It's still closer to being in the spotlight by moving to Middlesbrough and still will feel like you're closer to the big time.

Also think MLS is years away from players turning down lower level EPL clubs for MLS. Years. Turning down Sweden, Norway, other 2nd tier leagues? That's not too far, but lower table EPL clubs? Doubt it. It's one thing if you don't see offers from an EPL club, like Omar/Zusi/Besler/Pontius, etc, guys who probably could have success in top 4 leagues but haven't reportedly rejected actual bids. Aside from Landon(and I don't think he ever rejected and actual bid although easily could have left this winter with a number of options), is there a player who's actually rejected a bid to a top 4 league to stay? Has any player actually ever rejected a bid from the Championship, Ligue 1, Ered or Denmark? "Interest" is one thing and is vague, all the four players I mentioned above had interest, but actual bids are the proof. Bologna(not EPL) has interest in Zusi, but no bid has come. If one does come I would be shocked if he rejected it. MLS/teams rejecting a bid is something else, but I've never heard of an MLS player recently rejecting a bid to any of these leagues if given the choice. And, I think more and more bids will be coming and they'll be larger bids as well.

I think this applies from earlier today:

BRADLEY: What was the whole thought process like in deciding to make that move?

AGUDELO: It was basically, as I played and knew my contract was up, I began to think of possibly making a move overseas. When the chance came up with Stoke, it was hard to say no. Especially at my age, I felt it was important to take the chance rather than possibly have regrets down the road that I didn’t give it a shot when the opportunity was there.

BRADLEY: Would you have considered staying on a Designated Player contract?

AGUDELO: Yeah, maybe. But I don’t know if anything could have changed my mind. I’m not really sure there’s anything that would’ve kept me around. I want to take my shot in England.

BRADLEY: And what do you make of Clint Dempsey's return to the league? What’s it like to see an American player in his prime returning to MLS and making so much money?

AGUDELO: I think that helps out a lot of us who are thinking we’ll be back in MLS after our spells in Europe are over. I’m really happy for him. I don’t know if Clint even realizes what he’s done for the whole league by coming back, but it’s huge. The whole process of making the league better took a huge step with him coming back. It’s awesome for him.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you clearly want to debate the issues. :rolleyes: When you realize you've got the facts wrong you've got no response other than to insult people.

You know, what you complained about earlier in the thread.

HailtotheKing and Achowat repped this.
  15. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    It's hard to argue with your assessment of the EPL -- with the new TV deals even the lower tier EPL clubs now have huge financial resources. But the Championship? Players may well think it represents a path to the EPL, but it doesn't appear many EPL clubs rate lower division players all that highly. The pay may be better, but I'm not sure the opportunity is.

16. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i wouldn't worry too much about kei kamara specifically. imo he's one of the more overrated players in mls, and seems to have a high opinion of himself.

17. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Rickie Lambert, Grant Holt. Just off the top of my head those are two players who went from lower divisions and had success in the Prem.

Not sure how many players in the Premier League put a shift in at lower division clubs but I would guess its a lot higher than your suggesting.

18. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are quite a few players that played in lower divisions in the Prem. But those two you mentioned came up with a promoted side. Probably not the best examples. You might as well just state the names of every player that stuck with a club when they were promoted. I can't remember the names exactly, but Leeds has had a few players poached for the past 4 years or so.

19. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Japan had baseball and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayybbee racing, but that's it for a sporting market. MUCH less competition for attention. Our sporting market is MUCH more competitve than Japan. And the amount of of fanatic supporters vs. casual fans (the life blood of TV ratings) isn't enough to offset the loss of interest and revenue when a team goes south.

Anyway, DP slots have their place now, but I really think they need to be gradually phased out, provided we can maximize revenue to a certain extent. It's still early in the ratings battle but the EPL is likely to lead MLS barring something crazy.

Simply put, while it's provided a good shot in the arm early on, I just don't think in this new EPL on NBC and internet connected age that the Dempsey/Donovan high priced top league import style of DP is all that enticing to TV viewers.

I am an advocate of raising the salary cap in some form ALONG with keeping a certain type of revenue sharing, don't ask me specifics as I am no expert. All I know is I want to see teams move away from DP heavy salaries, gradually of course. Also at some point, we'll have to take the single entity training wheels off.

Maybe what triplet suggested of focusing more on American DPs would be a good gradual turning point. Seeing the number of Americans moving into the Premier League gradually rising, MLS similar (though not as financially robust) could approach a role like the Eredivisie or Brazilian sides in it being a show case of potential international stars, less so established stars on the way out. That would be a great way to get into a more general sports discussion not only from soccer based coverage but from the media as a whole.

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I find it hard to entertain the idea that a player impressing in the championship would be less likely to come to the attention of premier league clubs than one doing well in MLS.

The championship does, after all, get 100 times the coverage MLS does here. Probably far more in fact.

21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 vevo5, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Good source for MLS TV Ratings and EPL TV Ratings on NBCSN

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/

MLS salary cap will depend on TV Ratings and TV Ratings have been flat for the last 10 years or so. EPL tv ratings, on the other hand, is on the rise.

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh wow .... you're only about FOREVER late on that link there guy.

23. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 vevo5, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/11/20/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams/
    MLS 2012 Valuation/Revenue/Operating Income

What if MLS use 30% of revenue salary cap? How soon will MLS top clubs catch up?

Seattle: $48.0 mil x 30% = $14.4 mil salary cap
    LA: $44 mil x 30% = $12.2 mil salary cap
    Portland: $39.1 mil x 30% = $11.73 mil salary cap
    Houston: $32.6 mil x 30% = $9.78 mil salary cap
    Toronto: $30.9 mil x 30% = $9.27 mil salary cap
    NY: $28.1 mil x 30% = $8.43 mil salary cap
    Kansas City: $27.7 x 30% = $8.31 mil salary cap

With 30% salary cap, MLS will have cost certainty. Each team will have 70% of their revenue to pay for other expenses. Only 30% will goes toward players/players acquisition. DP Rule will be scrapped.

credit to Yoshou for this table

TeamValue ($M)Revenue ($M)Operating Income ($M)
    Seattle Sounders17548.018.2
    LA Galaxy17044.07.8
    Portland Timbers14139.19.4
    Houston Dynamo12532.68.2
    Toronto FC12130.94.5
    New York Red Bulls11428.1-6.3
    Sporting Kansas City10827.75.1
    Chicago Fire10224.5-3.2
    FC Dallas9724.20.6
    Montreal Impact9626.23.4
    Philadelphia Union9021.41.1
    New England Revolution8917.12.6
    Vancouver Whitecaps8623.00.0
    Real Salt Lake8523.0-0.1
    Colorado Rapids7618.1-2.9
    San Jose Earthquakes7515.0-4.5
    Columbus Crew7318.6-1.6
    DC United7117.7-2.8
    Chivas USA6415.0-5.5

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you haven't posted it in a month or longer, doesn't mean it's all of a sudden different and/or better.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Will a League 2 style wage cap work in MLS?

Yes, of course it would.

Does MLS want such a system?

No.