why UK fans should be watching Serie A

Discussion in 'Italy' started by dreamingoranje, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    No, you can't bring anything to a game in England. Sorry but I don't hear anything when I watch a game on TV unless it's a goal. Maybe some chants but it's not like the games in Italy where there's constant cori.

2. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what I've seen most of the clubs have a choir, they sing and clap but rarely jump if any

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    They give a rousing standing ovation when a center back tries a 70-yard shot and puts it into the upper deck, though.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 and JCNapoli17 repped this.
  4. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    You must have your volume up very high. :D

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could be, I only catch serie A online and sometimes volume gets tampered with

I wonder if UK fans watch more Bundesliga than Serie A

6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who gives a shit? What does it matter that Latin Americans don't watch the EPL but Americans and Asians do? EPL is the most watched league in the world and that they are benefiting from it.

7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they only watch EPL

in the end it comes down to whos teams and players ur a fan of. If u dont have a connection to a team or league, even if its exciting i wont watch it much, other than highlights. I dont ever watch bundesliga and no disrespect to them. and with EPL i might watch the important games and only barca-real in la liga....

but for ex, i watch osasuna in la liga cuz they have 2 iranians. So im sure people follow their players from their country...EPL has had more foreigneers in recent years so thats why other countries follow them cuz they want to see how their players are performing.

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have an article or stat to which one can refer back to regarding UK fans and their viewing habits with each league?

the first post gave some good points as to why the stereotype is misguided but I wanted to see if there was any indication that UK fans had similar disregards to other leagues

9. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    http://www.calcion.eu/

use this site if you watch online.

10. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I agree.

11. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Why do we care about UK fans? We should be trying to win over the Asian market. I think we have a good hold on the Americas. Fox Soccer seems content with SerieA, they just need better commentators and audio I guess.

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is Serie A going to win over a market in which both the EPL and RM/ Barca have a strong following

13. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    If we really want to win them over then we need to import some of their players like you see in England.

14. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correct me if I am wrong here, (I am trying to find some definitive charts or something) but I remember reading that Milan and Juventus have tremendous support throughout Asia and that they are some of the most popular clubs in that continent.

15. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are, and Inter as well.

i can tell u in middle east and asia and africa, people are football fans. They like any good football they can see. They dont discriminate like in US or europe. The big teams always have their fans so you will find fans of these teams anywhere; milan, juve, inter, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, man u, real, barca, bayern

^ these teams dont lose their core fan base, even thru the bad years

now whether they watch the games, that depends on whats available to them on tv and internet. Unfortunately internet is slow in most of the world so not many are privileged to catch streamings.

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes U.K fans have/had bias towards Serie A, but Serie A isn't even doing a good job selling/marketing it's product Globally to other parts of the world.

It's easier to follow/watch Serie A if you grew up with it, but you can't sell No-Names players or product which doesn't look good visually on TV.

Also, the run down stadiums and the 1/2 full stadiums really look bad on TV and that's why the New Juve Stadium and the always sold out Napoli Stadium in long run will be good for Serie A.

- Serie A got it's act together recently and sold the 2010/11 and 2011/12 TV Rights collectively (vs. being sold individually by each club) for €1.15b for the first time since the 1998/1999 Season.
    - But globally things have to improve, because Serie A TV rights only sold for
    around €185m for 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 seasons.
    (Compare to PL, Liga, etc it's not much)

17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw an EPL game today on tv Norwich Everton and that stadium was not filled at all.

18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Everton are not exactly doing well this season (#15) and still sold
    31,000 of their 40,000 seats...

19. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya the empty stadiums are really bad. I see it all the time even for big teams. Maybe the stadiums are too big but nontheless it looks really bad

20. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It's a bigger city, it's expected.

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching napoli-roma game...i saw many empty seats. a high profile game like that between 2 of the top teams in serie A should be a full house.

I understand in italy not all fans like to actually sit in their seats so they all hang out in one area or whatever but it doesnt look good on tv to see empty seats. In england they tell u to stay seated so you cant hang around, maybe they should start enforcing that in serie A, its better for safety and crowd control too.

22. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It was raining. Still had around 50k.

23. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is all relative of what people like, i love braslian football and my favorite tournament is libertadores. But as a football fan i'll watch whatever is on and in case there are more than one game it depends on the bigger game. Nobody can deny here that if barca vs madrid is on people will watch that one over almost any other game. Now if levante is playing osauna obviously is not the same.

Same thing applies for italy and england it depends on the clubs playing and what other games are on. I'll admit i prefer italian football over premier league but like i said before it depends on the game. Both leagues are good leagues with great players and great clubs.

Too bad english fans are such pricks that always feel that their league is the best bar none. Which makes it easier to laugh at the lack of good local players.

24. Deranged

Deranged Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Your Head
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    On the contary I'm from the UK and a fan of Fiorentina, many Serie A fans I know were fans back in the days of Football Italia

Daei_10 repped this.
  25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    La Liga is the most watched foreign league in the UK these days, but it certainly used to be Serie A back in the 90s.

For live games there's not a lot to choose between the Bundesliga and Serie A these days, although the Bundesliga does have a highlights show on a free to air channel. Viewing figures are still very small though.

Serie A certainly does have an image problem over here. Oddly, it's not really the old spectre of loads of 0-0 draws any more, but the seemingly oversized half-empty stadiums. It was the glamorous league, with the highest crowds and the biggest stars. In many ways it's the comparison to what it once was, rather than a direct comparison to other leagues right now, that makes it look so bad.

There's a lot of football from many countries on the tv these days. I think you need to ask not why people in the UK (and elsewhere) aren't watching Serie A, but why people should be expected to watch it ahead of any of the other leagues on offer?

I remember "discovering" Italian football watching highlights of Milan beating Real Madrid 5-0 in the late 80s. I was stunned. It was probably the best display I'd ever seen, taking place in the seemingly amazing San Siro, in front of unbelievable large crowds.

These days, there's just very little to capture impartial the viewer.