Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Why the Repubilcans shouldn't use new media

Add another one.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1145930.html

He was just joking and/or passing along a chain letter I suppose. I believe the people who can't find it within themselves to laugh at racist email jokes are the real racists in this country.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What?

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I happen to think anyone who forwards jokes, racist or not, should be shot. Really, the casual racism doesn't bother me as much as the lack of originality.

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Likewise, men who can't find it in themselves to force themselves on visibly drunk girls are the real rapists in this country.

3 people repped this.
  5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agonized over a retort, but can't top this....

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Why, superdave? It it because they can't spell the word 'Republicans' in a thread title?

I know it took a while, but I fixed it for you. You can buy me a beer sometime.

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brilliant.

8. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems like a clever way to use the internet. They linked to Amazon for items people could buy with a mythical $3.? trillion. Problem was that Amazon carries a wide variety of items, many of which are not defensible in a political realm.

I think the concept of buying consumer items to drive home the amount of money being spent by the government is misleading, though. But not a horrible idea.

A better on-line game might be to make you balance the budget, with real-life examples. I remember seeing a group in Denver going through that exercise and the results were that people had a better understanding of how difficult it was.

10. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago
    In my 44 years as an armchair political comentator I notice that some tendencies. Republican SAY the wrong thing but DO the right thing. Democrats SAY the right thing but DO the wrong thing. Want some examples? Republicans have always given black folks what they need. They just don't take credit for it. You may recall it was the Republicans who the party of antislavery and the Dems who were for "giving the south some more time to figure it out". Later, under Reagan the black middle class expanded at a faster rate than anytime prior. There are plent more like Ike's civil rights positions and Nixon on public aid. In the modern era Republicans tend to be against affirmative action. Why? Because Republicans have higher expectations of people than the the Democrats. In fact, Republicans are the color-blind and Democrats are the color-obsessed.
    Oh, yes. The Democrats will rub your belly for you and say the right things all the time and make you feel good but if you want to be treated like a man you should become a Republican, black folks, and all folks for that matter. Allright, wait a second. I'm not that extreme. The Dem's also do some things well that they don't credit for. Johnson and Clinton were the only two 20th century presidents to balance the budget. There, see, we can play nice. :)

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the offer but I'm going to pass. My manhood isn't determined by any political party, but by my actions as an individual.

12. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago
    Yesterday, it was a prominent South Carolina Republican who used his Facebook page to liken First Lady Michelle Obama to an escaped gorilla. (He proceeded to blame Obama for his comparison.)

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Another reason why republicans shouldn't use new media. Keep trying on the formatting, though. And in anycase, to help you use the new media, you can see the post you're trying to quote below: Click on the Washington Monthly link provided by Superdave. If that doesn't work, there's this website called google.com that many people have found useful.

In any case...

There's a ton of idiocy in this this post, enough that my Idiot Detector would've shorted out if I didn't turn it off in time... but in terms of Republicans and civil rights, you might want to go to that aforementioned google interweb thingy and enter "Richard Nixon" and "Southern Strategy" for a reminder of how history changes things.

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This post is uncanny. I remember on my first ever trip to the US I was asked to dinner by some vague relatives of ours and during the evening we got onto politics, as you do. I asked my host to just outline the political mentalities in the US and he (an independent, in terms of party registration, but a centre-left guy in terms of outlook) said "Well, if you listen to a Republican, they will always come out with something like

Now I've actually seen it in action. How cool is that? Next time I'm over, I'll have to tell this story.

1 person likes this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So black people are stupid animals who can be pacified by a belly rub and soothing words. And they don't know what's good for them, sort of like children who want to eat ice cream for dinner.

Gotcha.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    based on the "grammar" I'd guess it was one of her younger children, but perhaps that means it is indeed her ;)

I can find humor in almost anything, even some good racial jokes. But when you "forward" something, then you lose that part of your argument.

;) Everyone should be punished for things they forward in email. Especially stupid things. All chain emails are stupid things, no matter the subject. ;)

Along those same lines as forwarding stupid emails (especially those that tell you to forward them or bad things will happen to you), may I also reiterate that the "reply all" button is rarely (perhaps never) your friend - thank you, this email 101 reminder brought to you by the letter "duh" and the word "k".

17. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice try (earlier post who tried to race-bait me). But, No I'm not takin' the bait. Actually, I predict this Obama presidency will ultimately lead to a mass migration of African-Americans back to their rightful political home in the G.O.P.

18. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Awesome. It's like ITN without the humor.

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He kind of reminds me of this Daffy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF88YjwuzRA"]YouTube - Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny Rabbit Fire 1951[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  20. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a predicition like this I'm sure you had the Washington Nationals to win it all at the beginning of this season too.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think with a prediction like that, he probably had the Washington Nationals winning the Kentucky Derby.

3 people repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sure. Images like the one above will drive blacks back to their political home in the G.O.P.

I don't think right wingers are even trying to hide their racism any more.

25. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That photo is racist.

What I don't understand is that the point of political parties are to get elected, and to do so, you need a majority of votes? More than half the citizens in this country are not white, and I would guess that a lot of caucasians are not terribly comfortable with obvious outspoken racism like what the GOP has been "accidentally" embracing with e-media.

So, are they hoping that funny racist jokes posted online will get all the closet racists to vote for them in overwhelming numbers - negating the people they outrage?