Why start the Germans?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BiLLyHiLLo07, Feb 6, 2013.

1. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    There's a reason for that, and it's got nothing to do with complexes, obviously.

3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Well yeah. But I do think that MLS is changing that equation too. We are seeing the first wave of young MLS coaches that played in MLS.

Quite frankly, I think that Jason Kreis could coach circles around Jurgen Klinsmann.....for half the cost.

4. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "obviously"? If it isn't an inferiority complex, how else would you explain the idea that none of our coaches are good enough?

Ghost repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Kreis take this job on short notice if the Baker [Klinsmann] is fired?

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Did you watch the Canada game? We're not exactly in an era of overflowing domestic talent.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Is it paranoia when they're really out to get you?

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wanting to see more of Gonzo since the end of the World Cup. I wanted him and Ream to battle it out for a spot next to Onyewu, who I expected at that time to come back strong (but that seems unlikely now after his second injury). So, I do think Gonzo's the most likely CB partner for Cameron. Klinsi's got to stick with it now. Although I thought Besler looked a bit better with the ball in that ugly Canada match. I'd use Gonzo and Cameron unless they really stink it up, with Boca and Besler on the bench.

Of the Germans, I agree that Johnson is a real find and that Chandler has plenty of potential to become a quality international RB. I would stick with them, too.

Personally, I'd try and force Jones to play the #6 spot. If he refuses or can't stay disciplined enough, I'd drop him from the XI, making him Bradley's backup for the #8 job. I'd only play dual #8s when facing elite opponents.

If Jones can't/won't play the #6 role, then Edu gets the next shot, with Williams as his sub.

jaxonmills repped this.
  9. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were speaking of american coaches not american players......so Canada doesn't really apply.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We have some domestic options for that role too.

Klinsmann really hasn't explored them very much at all.

And people are going to kill me for saying this, but if just want a midfield destroyer............then we can just go with Beckerman for that. Klinsmann can just tell him to do what he did against Canada. Don't worry about any work in the offensive end..........

I mean, maybe this group is missing the kind of work that Pablo Mastroeni used to do for us.

11. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is a simple question......and you said the answer is "obvious". Please enlighten me.

12. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley seems the best choice for DM. Beckerman, Edu, Jones, Williams could: be left home, tried in defense or left on the bench.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what people said after the Olympic qualifier.

14. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    ????

Was Kreis coaching the Olympic team? Did Porter play in MLS? Has Porter coached an MLS game ever?

Your post makes no sense in response to what I said.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is right it was porter.

16. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was okay with the lineup given who he called in, but thought his player selection for the roster left him without options. Also, his tactics were off IMO. Not nearly enough support out wide. Asked the outside backs to do WAY too much.

17. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kljestan plays at a pretty high level as a center mid. Not out left... and hopefully never again.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It's not an inferiority complex, it's inferiority. Our guys don't come out of an environment that adequately prepares them to compete at the highest levels. Our best players are second and third tier and our coaches have accomplished much less than our players. So much less.

Third world countries look to the US for things like medical and military training. In soccer we're the ones looking for help.

19. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the response.....we'll have to disagree. Cheers.

deuteronomy repped this.
  20. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I have to hand it to you, probably the last thing I thought anyone would accuse BS of.

Jones has been better than Bradley in the last two games they played (Honduras and Russia) and has been our only source of vision and creativity which isn't saying much. I don't think dropping either is our best bet. I think dropping a CDM for a true CAM and having Bradley drop back a bit is our safest route.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Jones plays one good pass in two games and suddenly he's our best and most creative player. I'm not buying it.

He completely disappeared for all but about 2 seconds in the Honduras match (the pass). Bradley might not look flashy (ok, he never looks flashy) but he has a knack for moving the ball well and finding the open guy that springs an attack. Jones doesn't even hold a candle to Bradley in this regard.

But whatever.

22. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I thought the whole midfield trio looked like crap against Honduras, Bradley included. The only thing I saw in his favor was at least an attempt to stay active. I tend to think the whole mess started with the ineptitude of Williams who neither defended well nor was able to hold onto the ball, but neither Jones or Bradley stepped up and took care of matters. Bradley was more active but kept coming too deep to make connections and when he did get the ball further forward did nothing positive with it. Jones kept repeating the routine of holding the ball too long, then falling and acting like he was expecting a foul call, but at least he made a big play to set up a goal.A toss up to me. And the whole lot of them left too much space in front of the defensive line for Honduras to play in.

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Jones didn't have just the assist, he also had the ball that found EJ down field for the cross to Jozy for the other assist.

He moved the ball well throughout his time. Bradley had a decent second half against Russia but his last two games have been ugly.

This is a pointless conversation because neither of them should be our main source of creativity and assists. I just don't like people disrespecting Jones when he's been our only light lately.

24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    in theory I agree about the CAM but who? adu? we just don't have that in our player pool at the level we need? Torres didn't work. who do you have in mind?

25. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ya, I'm stuck on that one and I don't have a good answer for it.

Personally, I'd like to see Adu but I don't know how to justify it other than say, he's done well for us there in the past (considerable past at that). However, it sucks that we're at a point of, "eh, why not?"

Mix and Corona haven't done enough in camps to earn the spot it seems. JFT has made it feel like we're playing 10v12. Feilhaber has done decently I guess but he's in the same Adu situation with less club moving.

With the lack of the field width (might look different once Shea, and fingers-crossed, Donovan return), it's imperative that we have a CAM to distribute in tight spaces which is something that I've seen Adu excel at.