Why SKC should win the Supporters Shield

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City should win the Supporters Shield

Here is an easy to follow list of reasons why:

1. Unbalanced Schedule-25 games versus the EAST.

Not only do we play the East for the vast majority of our games but our preconceived greatest threat is Houston who we play three times, twice at LSP. Our final 20 games are against the east which means there will be a magic number countdown much earlier in the season than ever before. 10 of those final 20 are at home.

2. Ease of early schedule-

Sporting has already jumped out to six quick and easy points with a really banged up FC Dallas coming into LSP next week followed by a quick trip to Chivas USA- 12 points in the first four matches should be an expected outcome then the team comes home to host LAG and RSL- We won't have to play either again all season, no visits to HDC to face the big bad Gals and no Rio Tinto trip this season. Honestly if Sporting is sitting on 24+ points to start May their is an agrument that the race is almost settled.

3. Champions League-

When I rate the top five teams in this league I group LAG, RSL, SSFC, Houston, and SKC- Sporting is the only side not playing in CCL. With the changes to the rules each of those other four will be starting in Group Stages, meaning each will have four extra matches and none of which will be against each other or a Mexican side- all four should advance and play at least two more matches.

4. Home Support-

SKC has created a home field advantage that should intimidate enough of the bottom feeder east teams to just roll over and give up points. If SKC gets anything fewer than 30 points from their home matches this season it should be a disappointment. I think the realistic point total for home matches could be in the range of 38 which is exactly what Galaxy got last season.

I am worried about Houston considering they have more points already this season than SKC had in ten road trips to start the season in 2011. We will know a lot more about Houston after their seven game road trip ends in mid May. Houston also has a better defense and has a lot more experience on their side plus their coach has two more MLS Cup Trophies than ours.

henryo repped this.
  2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston has beaten Chivas and San Jose 1-0....two weak west teams. They are only winning due to their defense right now. They only beat SJ because of a questionable PK, and one of their CB's scored to save the win against Chivas. Granted, they still have two road wins in two games. However, if I was a Houston fan, I would be worried about where their goals are going to come from. We don't have that problem....I think we are more balanced than they are, and probably deeper at most positions.

We'll see how good Houston is on Friday night when they play at Seattle. Probably low scoring due to Houston's defense, but I am thinking we should have sole possession of first place by 8:00 Sunday night. The true test for us will be the month of April...following Chivas, we have four tough games against the western upper crust. I like that we play LA and RSL at home though....our schedule is very favorable.

3. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fear of Houston is because they have a blueprint for beating us at LSP- they do the two things that we struggle against, they stay organized and they take their chances well.

4. Roozle

Roozle New Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad MLS is aligning into more in-conference games since it will help build up rivalries and for the travel aspect, but it does really affect the race for the Supporters' Shield. Until there are an even number of teams again, that honor is really going to be goofy since we have differing formats between the divisions.

As for SKC, being the favorites in the East is pretty much the same as being a top prospect for the SS, along with LA (overly talented) and Houston (same advantage as us).

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the MLS has had an unbalanced schedule more than a balanced schedule in their history.

I think the whole thing about the West being better than the East isnt as true as people think it is. If you look at the standings last year, LA and Seattle were better than the rest of the MLS but after that, everyone else was packed together really tight.

If we win the Supporter's Shield or someone else in the East does, I can already hear the whining from fans of Western teams because they have it in their head that their conference is somehow dominate.

6. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the schedule has only been balanced twice in league history.

The Supporters Shield was created in 1999 when the schedule was unbalanced

henryo repped this.
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes there's only been a 'balanced' schedule twice.

As for the original question, the only answer really needed is: because most of the East SUCKS

8. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not as worried. People keep talking about how Houston has us completely figured out, but Vermes has admitted he made tactical mistakes against them in that game. Honestly don't believe we're going to play against them with the same exact tactics. Don't forget that they may know what we tried, but we also know what they did and are now better prepared.

We're a more flexible team than Houston.

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think the SS is very attainable (or at least should be) as well. I really think our only threats are Houston, Los Angeles, and Real Salt Lake, and like everyone is saying, LA and RSL are going to have it tough due to conference competition.

Houston plays us well, but we have a much more balanced team to play with against the rest of the East. I think that even if Houston does beat us, we'll be able to overtake them by getting more consistent results against the rest of our opponents.

This is going to be a good year.

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i loathe seeing this thread. if any team should be aware of early season indications not aligning with late season results, it's us. i agree that we're one of the better teams in the east, but this is mls and she's a fickle beast.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. I think all the things listed above are accurate but anything can happen. We are deep but if Nielsen or one of our CBs go down for the season, I would be very concerned about or ability to stop goals.

I think that we are in the Top 4 teams in the league competing for the SS but in MLS there always tends to be a surprise team that comes out. Vancouver could be that team this year.

12. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than thinking we should win the Shield I think we need to win it.

Us winning it this season and getting home field advantage through out could be the dagger to balancing the schedule back out. Can you just imagine what would happen if we won the Cup in front of our home fans in December? The entire Western conference would throw the biggest fit.

13. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm.... I'd get drunk and buy way too much SKC stuff?

14. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have pondered how this city would respond that many times... would we get a ticker-tape parade? would it be treated fairly by the KC media, compared to say, the Royals just making the playoffs? I am sure the new stadium and the new fans have helped make this an idea more reasonable for city's attention now...

On a personal level, i may take a whole week off for that... lotsa beer consumption... lotsa arms raising, fist pumping, tears of joy... yeah... it's good to think about... :)

16. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when we tell you guys not to jinx it by talking up the Supporter's Shield, your response it to start talking about a SS/MLS Cup *double*? :eek:

Just to counteract all this rampant optimism, I'm going to have to predict something impossibly negative... like losing to a USL2 team in the Open Cup.

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's not only negative, it's impossible. USL2 doesn't exist anymore.

18. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we'll win the SS. I don't believe we have enough depth in some fairly vital areas and I don't believe we'll have enough guile to unlock the stingiest defenses ... we have a really good team but I don't feel there is much special or great about it.

We've only played two games .... against teams that didn't make the playoffs last year, and one in the Revs who are a complete and utter disaster when they have eleven men on the field.

19. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main point should be: we only played to games. Period.

The fact that we played against two poor teams is mitigated by the fact that we looked pretty darn comfortable in those two games. But more importantly just that we won them and therefore did as much as you could ask us to.

Pretty much we have proven that we shouldn't be taken out of SS contention based off those two games.

2 down, 32 left to go and we will learn a lot about our SS chances in the coming games.

As far as depth/quality... I think it's also too early to make hard judgments at this point as well. We know that SKC isn't afraid to make mid-season pickups and some of them have worked out quite well (i.e. Collin, Sinovic with the caveat being Jeferson).

Things also change over the course of the season - we started 2011 with Sassano (filling in for Harrington) and Espinoza on the outside of the backline... Today we will probably not see Roger in a LB position without at least two injuries, but this time last year he was our first choice LB.

So the short of it is just this: We've only played two games - even in the NFL we would be premature to make anything more than guesses at this point.

----

That being said, I don't disagree with the premise that our schedule is advantageous - LA, RSL & DAL at home and the East does look weaker than the West... if we do win it then you can be sure that people will complain that we don't deserve it as much. But again, something we can worry about when the trees start looking colorful again.

20. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now that we've secured the 12 points I expected and being six points clear in the East- Even with RSL with a game in hand.

I think if we take three from a down LAG we can almost expect to take the East.........I know many people hate me saying these things but there really doesn't appear to be many other expectations in my opinion.

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Last year LA did it with 67 points. To best that we have to get 2 points a game. 23 W's will take care of that. Keep the streak up and we will have it by mid July.

We are the only team that can still get 102 points.

Salt lake can only get 99.

Take 3 points LA while they are down and they will already be a third of their losses last year.

Now if we can beat that nasty Seattle bug, we have had the last couple of years.

henryo repped this.
  22. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread makes me giddy. We're talking about silverware and CCL 4 games into the season. We can't help it.

23. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This thread makes me sick. (And isnt helping me sleep).

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, well, it's doing my head in.

25. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What people fail to realize about Kansas City's good run of form at home is what they have done on the road.

In their last ten road matches including the Playoff win in Colorado last season they have six wins, three draws, and one (1-0) loss @ Rio Tinto.

That makes SKC's record since June 9th 2011 (LSP opening night)- 19-4-9 for a total of 66 points in 32 matches. That is a blazing pace and would be a record for points per game over a regular season if it had not started in the middle of one season and trickled into another. (not counting the old shutout points seasons)

Have to think that with the unbalanced schedule that Kansas City has a chance to set a record for points in a season in 2012.

henryo repped this.