Why Osvaldo cut in line

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mr clean you ignore just a countless number of outside and internal elements.

2. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to mention that Borini found himself out of the first team at Liverpool even before his injury because he was missing a ton of easy finishes.

I really like Borini and I tried to watch all the Liverpool matches he played and he really didn't play that well. Tons of effort but very poor finishing and mediocre passing in build ups.

There were a lot that feared this was the case with Borini: he may be more effort than elite quality and had a run of good finishing form with Roma for a couple of months that may be more the exception than the norm.

The point isn't to berate Borini ( I like him and would take him back in a second at a much lower price than we got for him though) but it seems the Borini/Destro or even Osvaldo comparisons totally ignore the fact that he's flopping at an average Liverpool side even when playing off a talent like Suarez.

I hope Borini turns it around nothing that's happened in his matches at Liverpool have made trading him for Destro look like a bad deal. Hell, even the point of him fitting better wide in a 4-3-3 is a question mark as Brendan Rodgers defended him saying he's a bit better suited centrally and sacrificing himself for the team in playing off Suarez. Not much different that what Roma fans say about Destro.

Roma_NY repped this.
  3. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you Sabatini in disguise ?

4. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    LordNelson has returned. I remember you saying you would return after Zeman's time had ended. You have lived up to your word

5. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was out spreading British Colonization

Deand21594 repped this.
  6. Cleanaway

Cleanaway Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We must sell both Destro and Osvaldo! And use this money to bring some quality midfielders or defenders or buy Marco Sau (seems very talented remember me giuseppe rossi and del piero, small,fast ,technical,good shooter).
    And then lets promote Ferrante,Felipe Maria Scardina,Tallo to first team squad nico lopez is also there.

These youngsters are not mental superstars in her mind and i think that its lot easier for the coach to build a team, these youngsters follow the coach instructions and dont play idiots in the pitch.

7. Cleanaway

Cleanaway Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Osvaldo and Destro are far from Marco Sau qualities.

8. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma

[​IMG]

9. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Are you Lotito in disguise?

10. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Singapore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No offense but dude where did you pop out from?

11. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Would you be just as hard on Destro if he did?

Personally I'm not willing to give up on Osvaldo just yet. I agree that if he was going to be daring enough to take the penalty then he should've at least buried it. Unfortunately that wasn't the case however and he needs to atone for his actions. If anything I'm hoping that he'll actually learn from this episode and grow as a player as a result. This isn't the first time he's shot himself in the food and has been persecuted by our fanbase, and he's typically managed to respond with a string of inspirational performances on the pitch. I'm hoping this will be the case this time around.

Realistically speaking however, I too can see him being sold in the summer, especially now with Destro ready to grab his spot. I still really like the guy and I think he's a hell of a player...but he hasn't exactly done much to help himself either.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Are some of you really still hung up on Borini?

Midfield General repped this.
  13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this. I think Lamela has been one of the few gems this season. 20 years old and he's already scored 11 goals this season without PKs, and could easily hit the 15 goal mark if he stays healthy. Which is very good for a winger, and even better for a 20 year old winger.

To put things into perspective, Cristiano Ronaldo only scored 9 goals in 50 appearances at age 20. And he actually had quality team mates unlike El Coco

So I'd sell Pjanic before Lamela.

14. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I am wondering this as well

15. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldn't put Erik and CR7 in the same sentence. Although, i do agree....Erik has been playing well.

For all the grief Osvaldo is getting....(which is deserved)....Pjanic missed an absolute sitter at the end of the first half....the game would of been completely different had he scored.

16. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not 28 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, but I don't think there is a huge difference between 20 year old Ronaldo and Erik. Except that Cristiano actually had quality team mates around him, and Lamela has already outscored 20 year old Ronnie

17. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pjanic's shot was blocked. The defender took up the spot where PJ's finish would have perfectly slotted into the right side away from the keeper

18. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Let's pray that Erik turns out to be half the superstar CR7 is....i'll buy you a beer if that happens lol

DDR and whill4 repped this.
  19. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It was a very weak effort on goal....he should of buried that chance...low and hard.

20. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Noted ;)

21. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eriksen was absolute garbage at the week against Roda.

The Ajax centre-back Toby Alderweireld is a good player. He has really stepped up in Vertonghen's absence. I know he has scored some cracking goals but his willingness to shoot from distance annoys me.

22. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's completely overrated even at his age

edit: I am going a little agressive, but I don't understand the fuss about him

23. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 goals and 13 assists this season. I don't really watch Ajax, but he's doing well from a stats point of view.

24. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He can be a lovely player to watch but to me he is the kind of player who only has good games when the rest of the team play well. I never see him dragging Ajax out of any holes. They are different styles but when I watch Strootman at PSV, he drives the team on, powers forward when the drive is lacking. He leads. Eriksen fades very easily, when the tap tap passing isn't getting through he becomes pointless. And at a club like Roma I think he'd collapse under it all.

25. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nee, ik ben geen Laziale. ik vind dat niet leuk dat je dat zegt. (yes, I know my Dutch is not particularly good)

Osvaldo was always an average player, why people expect much from him is beyond me. Our team is just way too young and inexperienced to make significant steps towards consistent results. These players have been thrown into the first team way too early. In a ideal world they would have been gradually integrated with players like Pizarro, Mexes, Juan and co.

Unfortunately Sabatini and Baldini do not know how to build a team. They have put them all together, thinking it looks good on the outside that we have such a good squad without thinking if it is even going to work. Our "senior" players are average e.g. De Rossi, Osvaldo and Burdisso. That is why significant investment in more experienced players would have been a good idea. It's ok having the young players we have for the future, but wishing for miracles is something else.

In the long run the problems are systematic. Lamela has done ok, still it looks like Montella was right.