Why not the LA Aztecs ?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by sjsuvc2, Jul 1, 2012.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing is that caribou live nowhere near Colorado.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they all moved to Atlanta in 1979.

Ba-doom-boom.

SYoshonis repped this.
  4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why all the hate on the San Diego Sockers, I mean it's a cheesy name of course but actually still has a lot of cache in the San Diego sports community (mostly from the indoor days but still).

Not that we are ever going to get a team but I can dream. (Has any other city been listed as a potential expansion city with so little actual chance of it happening.)

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why.

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh it's indoor but my point was it still carries cache within San Diego if the goal is to try and make the team meaningful in the San Diego market the positive connotations (actually winning) offset the negative (winning in a sport that is a bastardization of the real thing).

7. JuanCasa

JuanCasa Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was born and raised in SD, and would follow any MLS team the got (NASL too).
    And I acknowledge that 'Sockers' is a horrible name, but it's our horrible name. I would be disappointed if a team came to SD and was not named the Sockers ..... or at least paid homage to them with Sockers colors or something.

Lupin III, Cyclonis and owian repped this.
  8. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its also still currently being used by a very successful lower division indoor team [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Sockers_(2009)

athletics68, falvo and Cyclonis repped this.
  9. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would actually prefer that if the Chivas rebranded that they went with LA Lazers. There was the indoor team owned by Jerry Buss with that name and also the outdoor Southern California Lazers were based in Torrance CA.

Galaxy vs Lazers! Sounds very cool.. and futuristic! :eek:

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a Sockers indoor fan back in the 80's. Only recently did I realize they had an outdoor team as well. I think sockers is an alright name. I think there was a Chicago Sockers somewhere in the sport.

Love blue and yellow as well. It's always been a favorite color combo. SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) would be a fun sponsor to have, btw. Great logo. But that may be too close to XBOX for MLS to approve.

As for Aztecs, great name, but living down here, I confuse them with the SDSU Aztecs. I keep hearing "LASC". Is that still viable?

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Maccabi Los Angeles won more US Open Cups than any team not named Bethlehem Steel. There is your name for a LA team.

12. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love it. let's start the campaign! kits, crests, and scarves, please!

13. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that wouldn't invite controversy.

I'm in for the Salsa.

Actually, I hate all these ideas.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  14. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Interesting. I always thought 'Riverhounds' was one of the coolest names in minor league sports.

As for the Wile E. Coyote crest, I think they'd be better off with this guy:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL does own the rights, but as we all know everyone has a selling price. Can't imagine NASL would pass up money over a name.

18. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the NASL intends to eventually put a team in L.A., I would expect that they will hold onto the name.

19. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They intend on putting a team in a lot of places, lol. I'd think it would be wise of them to avoid LA in general. The market already has 4 teams and only one of them gets any kind of support. Like I said Im sure NASL has an asking price for the name. They'd be foolish not to take the money if presented it.

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that at least of few of the NASL owners are toying with the idea of competing with MLS with the idea of forcing a merger down the line like the NFL/AFL merger and the NBA/ABA merger. It sounds crazy, but then there's stuff like this floating around in the media:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...the-new-york-cosmos-and-the-nasl-coexist.html

"I asked Peterson if the N.A.S.L. saw itself as a competitor to M.L.S. “We don’t see ourselves competing with anyone right now,” he said. “That does us no good, and there really is no competition. We are focussed on being the best professional soccer clubs we can be in our communities. There’s nothing else for us to worry about until we are filling all of our stadiums every night and we’ve stopped expanding.” He went on, “There’s no purpose or point to worrying about what other people are doing.”
    Stover has a different agenda for the New York Cosmos: “We want to be in our own stadium. We want to have what we believe to be the best roster in the United States. We want to be competing in CONCACAF for a Champions League title. And we want the N.A.S.L. to be as good or better than Major League Soccer.”

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Goodsport[​IMG]

You know, those fringes are so ugly, they are almost cool! :)

henryo repped this.
  22. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    la renegades

-similar colors to raiders and kings
    -team in pomona serves inland and east la.

Eleven Bravo and Gameface repped this.
  23. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the name and logo. It's old school. The uniforms are very ugly though.

24. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For the MLS LA club with the new ownership group I would think they would not use a nostalgic club name.
    For a possible NASL LA club would be more likely to go that route.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually IS crazy.

The conditions surrounding the 1966 (announcement of the) AFL-NFL merger and the ABA-NBA merger of ten years later were very different from the current (or likely near future) lamdscape.

You COULD compete with the established leagues in those cases (and neither of them, at the time, were serving as many markets - and desirable ones - as MLS is today). You COULD run a "major" league on a shoestring in the 60s and early 70s. And in both cases, the competition for players created salary escalation that was injurious to both sides the longer it went on. Also, the upstart leagues in both cases had assets (markets and/or players) that the established league wanted. And the numbers (in terms of ownership ability to spend) are dwarfed by what it would cost to truly compete with MLS today, much less "force" a merger.

When MLS can just put a team in Atlanta or South Florida if it wants to or convince, say, an Indianapolis or a Minnesota to join them, there is no impetus for a merger.

A rare moment of lucidity for Peterson. They really do have to grow and gain relevance in their communities before anyone can think about competing with MLS.

And while they can pull off the former and could, conceivably, put together a roster of very good players, they're not going to see either of the two latter things happen.

And, no, you don't get direct entry to the CCL because second-tier leagues don't get direct entry except by winning the USOC or the Canadian or Carribean championships. And as long as you have second-level players playing for second-level coaches in second-level stadiums in front of second-level crowds in games called by randos on the internet and as long as you are training in city parks and trading players for hotel rooms, you're second-level. No matter how much posturing the prawns try to do.

jaykoz3, The Franchise and henryo repped this.