Tulsa Athletics to NASL SuperThread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by amancalledmikey, Mar 30, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 7/4/86 game against the NASL All-Stars, Arnie Mausser and the Wegerle brothers played for QPRowdies, while DuBose and former Rowdies Tatu, Wes McLeod and Mike Connell played for the NASL All-Stars.

2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Since your memory is still 100%, how was Pele as a coach ? and who else was on that NASL team ? Neeskens, Margetic, Hudson, Peterson ?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish my memory was that good. I had to look some of it up. :)

Johan Neeskens, Mark Peterson, Keith Weller, Nene Cubillas, Ray Hudson, Barry Wallace, Tatu, Winston DuBose, Wes McLeod, Mike Connell and Hubert Birkenmeier apparently all played for the NASL All-Stars.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    you forgot the Rong-man

anyway, you have seen Pele coaching, not many people can claim that

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually interviewed Pele and didn't have to pay him. Not many people can claim that.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Not even amongst his family members :)

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Mr. Warmth to the White Courtesy Phone please..... er uh... make that the red phone....

Muscogee Creek nation partners with Expo Square, signaling end to Tulsa horse racing

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_...-and-it-means-an-end-to-horse-racing-in-tulsa

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no more potential soccer there? Is the door closed?

10. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Hard to say. The tribe has basically "right of first refusal" which could mean about anything... depends on whether they have something in mind for the site. If they had soccer interested, they definitely would have the money to make it happen. What I find even more interesting is that the horse track is NOT going to be used anymore...

Otherwise, wonder what a soccer field would look like at OneOK Field... http://www.milb.com/team1/page.jsp?...d=10020610&vkey=team1_t260&fext=.jsp&sid=t260

[​IMG]

11. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Lease is signed, next week is sodding... I'll take some pics of the transformation... :)

12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    wasn't there a team named FC Tulsa also in the NPSL ?

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. They only played one season, I thought it was at a middle school soccer facility (Union 8th Grade Center) but according to wiki, it was at a high school stadium... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Tulsa

Roster is not yet set, but I am told the Tulsa Athletics will include at least 6 players from the Univ of Tulsa... (I have my fingers crossed for Christian Mata)...

Taken yesterday... view from south to north...
    [​IMG]

We have two months to get the field in shape... the pitch will run north/south with a beer garden in right field... yay beer!

Time to make the donuts... time to watch the grass grow... time to start a supporters group...

QUESTION: When making a supporters group from scratch, is it proper to add an egg?

ceezmad and brentgoulet repped this.
  15. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you involved in this? Will it be somewhat based on my image above? If so, I want a stadium conversion credit, damn it!

16. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Lol. You'll need to flip the pitch... yours has the field east-west... ours is north-south... we've got 45 advertising boards which will line the field... behind those will be some bleacher seats...
    Me and a couple of others are getting the supporters group off the ground... at the request of the owner, we will be called "The Tulsa Athletics Supporters" and the first time I said the name I thought... http://www.hark.com/grease/if-you-cant-be-an-athlete-be-an-athletic-supporter

Where were we in '83, Where were we in '83,
    CHAMPIONS!, CHAMPIONS!....
    30 years we're back to be, 30 years we're back to be,
    CHAMPIONS!, CHAMPIONS!
    One of us is the lead singer for a "punk-hooligan" band... and we have our own theme song...

brentgoulet repped this.
  17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    How do we get a moderator to move this thread to the NPSL section where it belongs?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Why?

When this thread was started a year ago, it was about whether the old ballpark at the Tulsa County Fairgrounds would be suitable for an NASL team. A lease was just inked a couple of weeks ago...

If you want to start a new thread about the new NPSL team in Tulsa using this ballpark as their home field, please do so. No need to move a thread that has in-depth discussion of the old and new NASL.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There a lot of cross pollination in the expansion forums, Sacramento has threads in MLS, NASL and USLPRO.

Tulsa may never join NASL but this is in the expansion forum and it is just 1 thread, so why not.

Chowda repped this.
  20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, our goal is to get there... someday!

I'm sure we'll make plenty of mistakes our first summer in NPSL, but we're trying to build (literally from the ground up) a loyal fanbase and supporters group, give Tulsa soccer fans an "Oktoberfest" atmosphere with beer garden in the outfield, supporters group behind the dugout including a soccer inspired "punk hooligan" house band, and as of today... drumroll please...

Today, March 22nd, 2013... The Soccer Bowl 1983 Championship Trophy is sitting in our recently cleaned and disinfected offices at the Stadium... Sonny and yours truly are really stoked.... and I really need a beer... or twelve...

[​IMG]

HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little late to this party, did the pro-soccer group really get the lease on the old grounds?

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. The NPSL's Tulsa Athletics will play there this summer. No other tenants so the infield now has grass.

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope the team has a good year!

Now to get the name changed to Roughnecks and pursue an NASL
    expansion slot!

brentgoulet repped this.
  24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    The feedback I received from a few older fans who remember the Roughnecks, and some younger fans who weren't around for them... is to leave the name alone. An amateur team shouldn't use it. Although I think I could persuade both of those groups to change the name to "Roughnecks" if we end up in a few years getting an NASL team and start playing the Rowdies, Strikers, and Cosmos. :)

brentgoulet and Chowda repped this.
  25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Prosoccercdn repped this.