Why no lower league fans?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by cmblfc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK has a large population, so why arent there more lower league fans on here? Where are the Huddersfield, Bristol City, Scunthorpe, Yeovil etc. fans?

The teams have people go to the matches and they do have supporters, so where is everyone?

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the answer would come in asking why English fans who do post here do so, and how they came across a site that's virtually unknown in the country.

3. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, isn't this the biggest footie forum on the net?

4. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    biggest maybe, but still incredibly obscure in the UK. I think you'd have to ask a huge amount of people before you found anyone who'd heard of it.

5. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I doubt it's the biggest. And I'd imagine it's because most of the people on here are not British, and therefore have no desire to support Scunthorpe et al.

6. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

No but seriously, there are a few fans from the 'other divisions' but most clubs have their own fairly large forums.

7. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Big SOCCER says it all. Soccer really doesn't get mentioned unless preceeded by the words: Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and to lesser extent Liverpool.

8. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    This is the biggest MLS forum on the 'net, perhaps.

9. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The UK crowd seems more divided into club forums and an array of smaller general forums and blog discussions....although, my football forum isn't bad if you want more exclusively and extensive English/Welsh football talk....

10. RavishingRobRude

RavishingRobRude New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    On The Couch
    There are not many English fans on here because there are much better sites over there. They generally post on their own teams boards.
    I'm only on here because I live here in the US and I'm bored tonight.

11. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The second sentence is certainly true. The first is somewhat dubious, as those club sites can vary hugely in quality.

There are few sites which cater for the whole country. 606 on the BBC has a dreadful format and is swamped by 14 year olds writing in txt msg speak. Rivals.net got buried under the amount of trolling that rendered the boards there all but unusable.

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance of getting a Millwall board? I think there are like 3 fans of us... isn't that enough?

13. RavishingRobRude

Oct 19, 2008
    On The Couch
    thats more than you get in the ground in it?

14. Turtle_MattX

Turtle_MattX New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    haha, i'm a Grimsby Town fan!
    thats about as lower league as you can get without hitting the conference!

15. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    You could always go through it and out the other side.

16. Turtle_MattX

Turtle_MattX New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    we could, but we won't.
    new manager, new ideas, better football.

17. RavishingRobRude

Oct 19, 2008
    On The Couch
    I can't believe how badly Grimsby are doing. At this rate they'll drop. I've always had a softspot for Grimsby as I love Cleethorpes..Lucky for you that 3 teams in L2 have had point deductions..

18. Turtle_MattX

Turtle_MattX New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    yeh, its been fairly diabolical recently, with any luck though Mike Newell will get it sorted, seems like he knows what he's doing!!!
    UTM!

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I think some people don't follow lower leagues because they don't know much out of the EPL or below that even. I love playing Football Manager with lower league teams in the blue square north/south and conference, and I always develop a soft spot for the team and players and often look htem up online to see how they are doing and if the players in the game are still there.

I also like following a team in the unibond league Skelmersdale, as they have a young striker Mark Houghton, i've been following his career since he appeared on football icon LOL

20. RavishingRobRude

Oct 19, 2008
    On The Couch
    What ever happened to Michael Reddy? Didn't he used to splash his boots with Holy Water before each game:D

21. Turtle_MattX

Turtle_MattX New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    haha, he did indeed! His Gran used to send some over before every game! Quite incredible really! Don't know what he's up to nowadays though, think he's playing lower league...don't quote me though. Hero though, he was lightning fast!

22. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    My brother went to watch him a while back when based abroad. He plays for Port Stanley in the Falklands.

23. JuliMarieWP

JuliMarieWP New Member

May 30, 2005
    Monterey, California
    That's what I came here looking for, they're my "adopted" team after a few visits to London & The Den the last couple years. I occasionally check in at hof.org.uk. Got more time to follow them, now my "domestic" season is over (SJ Earthquakes didn't make MLS playoffs).

Anyways, y'all see that we beat Chester in the FA cup match today, 3-0? Got up at 5 a.m. to listen to the broadcast, thank you interwebs. Very nice way to start a Saturday! And third in the table, tied on points w/Leeds - head & shoulders above last year, which was my first full season following 'em. AND they've got that American defender w/the Liverpool accent, Whitbread;) - maybe he's due for a U.S. call-up?

COME ON YOU LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juliana

24. Tvos

Tvos New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Caboolture,Qld,Aust
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm a Rochdale fan from Australia, haven't been on here for a while, tend to stick more with the forum we have here. Got a bit of variety down here, on our forum we have myself (Dale), 2 Darlington fans, Lincoln, Aldershot, Luton, Millwall, Oldham, Carlisle. Also tend to follow clubs who lost their league status in the pre relegation era, such as Barrow, Southport, Workington, Newport County and the like.

25. tigerroar

tigerroar New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm only here to ask a question but I need to post five times to start a thread!