Why is Danny Williams on the USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by WondoSoWonderful, Sep 3, 2012.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just won't go away permanently, will you? Keep registering and do little to hide that you're the same guy who keeps getting the boot.

It's basically the worst exercise in critical thinking I've ever seen. You get marked as a troll and given a red card under the name WondoSoWonderful, so in order to start anew and disconnect yourself from the reputation that name earned, you register as WondoWonderful. And I know there was another one inbetween which lasted about a whole day or two.

CTS26, Chance and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only lost the ball four times. Three of those times were unsuccessful long passes/clearances into Honduras' half, one of those instances was a defensive header into Honduras half. He had 18 successful passes, of which roughly 50% were forward passes. That's "good enough" in possession.

So the criticism must then be on the defensive side of the ball. I'm just curious what exactly people saw out there.

CTS26 and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German players aren't the problem. It's the use of them which is the problem. Well, only a couple of them.

FJ has been the best of the German pool and a great pickup for us.

Chandler is also a very good pickup despite his last game.

Williams is one of our top DMid's, has upside, and can't be blamed for being played on the wing by JK.

Jones is also a very good player, but it probably should be Mike or Jones with Jones coming off the bench, or play him at DMid. Again though, Jones isn't the problem here it's the use of him.

Germans are not hurting us at all. Take Fabian, Chandler,Williams, Jones, Boyd out of our team we're worse. Considerably less depth. Guys like Brooks, Green and Hurzeler could be great for us next cycle and beyond. We're simply nowhere near good enough to turn away talent like that.

Bro.

4. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Germans are all fine, quality players who may not be getting put in the best position to succeed.

5. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised he didn't send me a PM this time. Every time he has created a fake account (About 6-8 so far) he sends me a PM about how this German/American player is going to fail. I wonder why he didn't make another fake account right after the second LA vs. SJ playoff game. :D

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  6. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    It's not just the use of the German players, personnel wise i think we are still a 4-4-2 team. The movement towards a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or whatever else they are trying is problematic. We need guys like LD and Shea and Juan for those formations to have any success, imo

deuteronomy repped this.
  7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    He's done this to me too one time. I think he was completely drunk or not on his meds - at least I hope so for him. Weird.

CTS26 repped this.
  8. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Williams played all 180+ minutes v Italy and Mexico away. 2 wins.

9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also passed Russia the ball that one time.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in that mexico game though if there was one whipping boy from the game day threads, it was him, we were all wondering wtf he was doing at right mid.

when we win and someone plays extremely poorly it doesnt give them a free pass. (though i know he was played at right mid, just not a position hes useful at, i still like him as a d mid)