Why hate a sport?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by nwave, Oct 3, 2008.

1. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    On the contrary... we mock what we perceive to be greater than us. Otherwise we wouldn't have the need to mock it.
    It's psychology 101.

2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No dude, you're wrong. Maybe you should take Psychology. We mock what is weaker. Bullies don't perceive their victims to be greater. Have some common sense.

3. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Lol... you probably think that bullies are what they are because they feel secure?
    You have lots to learn.

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No, I don't. Each case is different.

You have lots to learn about society in general. You don't seem too bright. No offense.

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you honestly expect someone to not take offense to being called "not too bright" just because you tell them not to? If so, it doesn't do your implicit claim to be a more intelligent person than they are any favors.

6. brendo

brendo Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Its a culture thing

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ardido!!

8. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the logic is pretty simple... it's foreign and it's therefore subjected to all the classic derision that's usually heaped on others in western culture (ie. the lack of masculinity), combined with it's position globally. Cricket and rugby are easy to ignore, soccer isn't.

9. twelvester

twelvester New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Al Ittifaq Dammam
    every sport got their own haters and supporters. why bother to know more?

10. RIP SJ Clash

RIP SJ Clash Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Despite being an avid soccer fan (and beer league extremely amateur athlete), I coach volleyball in my spare time. A player on the U18s team I was coaching was raging during EURO 2012 about how soccer isn't a sport, the players spend most of their time just walking, blah blah blah, the same stuff we always hear. I offered him to come and put in 90 minutes at our scrimmage that week, and if he could handle the physicality (he's a volleyball player, so he's used to none) and was able to keep up fitness-wise, I would cancel conditioning the rest of the summer for him and the rest of the team. Needless to say, he made up some excuse the day of.

11. dannyC

dannyC New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Nobody hates Carling!!!!!!
    Carling is life!

12. dannyC

dannyC New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Nobody hates Carling!!!!!!
    Carling is life!

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    [​IMG]

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People do mock what they fear, but they don't only mock what they fear.

Mocking might well be out of insecurity, but that doesn't mean the thing they mock is what makes them insecure. They often mock because mocking allows them feel superior to what they are mocking.

The arrogant Man Utd fan living in Aldershot might well mock Aldershot and the club's fans. There is no way in the world that Aldershot FC threaten him, or are perceived to be greater than Man Utd by him.

However, the nagging doubt that he is just a gloryhunter will possibly lead him to put down Aldershot as not being worthy of his support, to make his choice of club more acceptable.

Add to that, people in Aldershot calling him a gloryhunter will piss him off, and increase his hostility towards the club.

15. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting thread. Over here in Canada we get a bit of that, but it's not as bad as you'd find in the US. Soccer here is actually quite huge and the women's success at the 2012 Olympics changed a lot of people's minds about it. But demographics are changing and you see it a lot less now that famous television personalities have outright admitted they love soccer and follow it closely.

CBC/CNN's George Strombo (interviewer)
    CBC Bob Cole (Hockey announcer)

16. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not that I support him, but you basically described what I feel about the UK's mentality about Luis Suarez perfectly. Insecure, and clinging to any excuse ...anything (from "cheating" to "morality") to get him out. I'm shocked he hasn't left. Even more after today where his nt teammate confirmed he's staying and hungrier than ever to prove the league wrong. As a life time Arsenal supporter, I'm afraid. But, seriously, the balls on this kid. RVP left Arsenal because he was sad that he couldn't win a title. He would have retired from football with 1/8th of the abuse LS has gotten. Amazing.

17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    to be frank, he is an immoral cheat who sees little, if any, shame in what he does.

Why exactly would the UK need an excuse to have a go at him? Because he's foreign? The league is awash with foreign players.

I think there is an element of bias against him because of his handball in the world cup, and perhaps more so because of the shots of him celebrating when Ghana missed the penalty.

What he really needs though is a club that doesn't indulge him and excuse him at every turn, just because he's a top player. Liverpool's excuses have become part of the Suarez story. What exactly does he need to do before they clamp down?

18. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You really don't know that. In fact, every interview from the (what must be now 20) players who've come out recently worldwide to support him, indicates that he a) has an anger issue that he can't control....and b) is actually a better person than any of the knobs most people support. The irony is outstanding. LFC have hammered him to death. The issue is that he's trying every day to change his nature, against boos and inhuman maliciousness from the English media. (and I'm English, from Halstead). All they're asking for is understanding and a little compassion. Much like Roy Keane got. I guess Luis isn't "white enough" for some of my countrymen. I feel for the lad and his small family (wife and baby daughter) who have to put up with this abuse everyday. I honestly can't believe he's not leaving. The balls. IMO, he's setting up to be an all time English football legend because he simply won't give up fighting for Liverpool.

Luis Suarez has never been red carded, and has never once maliciously injured another player. Just, let that sink in for a second.

19. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Post of the year. The English take themselves WAY too seriously. Here in Canada, most people I know thought it was hilarious. The first thought wasn't "ban the foreigner", it was "this guy's really loved by his teammates for a reason. He probably should get some mental counseling". God, how far our countries have drifted apart. You'd never ever see our Prime Minister vilify a Hockey player to get cheap political points. Proud I live in my country after seeing such embarrassing hysteria over something so goofy.

20. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    The worst of people is displayed in this post. Vilify and dehumanize what you don't understand, and see as a threat. Then call others the cowards. Pretty jokes that this guy was talking about "feeling insecure" in his previous thread. Luis Suarez has literally made the Premier League look amateurish for 2 years. Hey...I'd hate him too!

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    aww, poor ickle Luis.

He's an adult, not an eight year old.

That must be why another players with anger issues, such as Rooney, don't get criticised then?

I feel for him. I really do. Life is so unfair when you get criticised for actions you've willfully taken.

No, but he does dive a fair fit, racially abused another player, famously cheated Ghana out of a world cup semi-final place, and bitten players on the pitch, twice.

But he has issues he can't control, so we should just let him off as he's a good player.

To be honest, that attitude is a big part of problem - the idea that top players deserve to be treated differently, because they are too valuable either monetarily or to the team to face punishments other players might face.

If players grow up thinking they'll get protected by their clubs no matter what they do, is it any surprise they lack self-discipline?

22. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    point out the vilification and dehumanisation

a threat to what?

who called who a coward?

who joked about him feeling insecure?

Well yes, if you've invented your own reason why he gets criticised that doesn't need anything beyond your own assumptions to back it up, it makes perfect sense.

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    What..? by dragging Liverpool all the way up to 6th....?

24. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unlike bolso4, you are forgetting last season, where his efforts catapulted Liverpool to 8th in the league, and Suarez's blistering tally of 11 goals almost put him up there with greats like Steven Fletcher at Wolves.

Is any wonder the English resented this foreigner making the league look so poor?

Joking aside, Suarez is a great player, but he's hardly exceptional in terms of premier league players over the years. Assuming the stick he gets is because he's a talented foreigner rather ignores all the other talented foreigners there have been who have been at least as good, who didn't get slated.

When Mario Ballotelli was at Man City he was unhappy about the press coverage, and I'm sure many thought it was a factor in him leaving. The fact is though, he brought it upon himself, just as Suarez has.

25. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Interesting that a 24 year old from Manchester, England can get taken, as an offensive lineman, in the second round of the NFL draft having played American Football for less than 2 years. The chances of that happening in top level soccer are way worse than the chances of the guy in 'Dumb and Dumber' getting laid by the cute chick. American Football is a game of size, speed, strength etc. Top Euro soccer leagues are played by players with SKILL. SKILL that takes many, many years to develop