Why hate a sport?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by nwave, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I didn't know I had to verify every run-in I've had with People here on BigSoccer, gee, is that a requirement? If so, ignore My previous post then. I promise I'll have Pictures, hell, I promise I'll record a YouTube Video next time I discuss Foreign Sports with someone who doesn't know the origins of Rugby.

Americans don't hate on Rugby and Cricket, they're just unaware of their existence. Happy?

Americans only hate on Soccer because of two reasons, they hate it with a passion, and they don't want to see a Foreign Sport grow in this Country

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Oh, get down off your cross, will ya? The main point wasn't that you said a few unverifiable things (though that matters), but that you were portraying (really unconvincing) anecdotal evidence as Truth of this statement: "I forgot to mention that Americans hate Rugby and Cricket with a passion as well".

Is it the Passion time already? Watch out! That Judas character is sneaky.

Well, that is a direct contradiction of your previous position...

They hate it because they hate it? Fascinating.

3. Lisa11

Lisa11 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    Belarus
    I also said that i disagree that football is pyhsically "harder" because there are many more people in the world who play soccer, so to be the best you need to physically train at a level to gain an egde. I did not respond to that comment so I told him that if he didn't understand what I was saying he must have a low IQ. He said "don't ever call me stupid again" and pushed me up against a locker and pinned me there.

Lisa11

4. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Why did you feel the need to bring Religion into your Post? If you want to talk about Religion and it's Movies, why don't you head on over to the Religion Forum on BigSoccer. I'm sure you'll have a blast there.

Yes, Americans hate Soccer because they hate it. Jesus Christ. What I was trying to say is that the majority of Americans are just paranoid about the fact that a Foreign Sport is starting to gain traction in their Country. If Soccer wasn't getting the traction that's it been getting then we wouldn't see a lot hate towards the Sport now, would we? I've also come to the conclusion that the majority of Americans in this Country will never learn to accept a Foreign Sport as one of their own.

There are plenty of Americans that don't like Rugby or Cricket. Do some research and you'll be surprised.

Every Athlete in every sport needs to be in good physical shape otherwise, they'd be a bunch of wimps, don't you think?

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Because you're acting like a martyr.

Illuminating.

Hey! Why don't you take that to the Religion forum! Meanie.

citation needed

Was there hate back when soccer didn't have traction? I think you'd be hard-pressed to say no.

Based on? I think you suppose an awful lot of the majority of Americans - like that they care one way or the other about most sports.

This is a far cry from the contention, by you, that "Americans hate Rugby and Cricket with a passion as well", don't you think? So, are you going to make up your mind what argument you're going to go forward with?

6. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cricket maybe, but not rugby - especially because they don't wear pads. I think Americans respect that.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Cricket is completely unknown to all but a tiny fraction of Americans. How passionate can anyone be toward an activity when one doesn't even know it exists?

8. Lisa11

Lisa11 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    Belarus
    I mean you can't seem to mention soccer on TV or the internet without other americans telling you that its "gay", "boring", "no one cares", "third-world sport", "eurofag"...etc. How do you explain this hatred coming from one country for a sport that is loved by billions??? Does soccer represent some cultural or political idea that americans hate?

Lisa11

9. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well when somebody start accounting for calling american sports names i say why the world hating on US.???

10. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Maybe they don't mind Rugby because Rugby is not called football all over the world (even though it's part of it's name) while Soccer is. I mean it's so easy to hate on something when you go to Spain and told they're bringing you to a football game only to realize it's completely different than what you call football and THAT is the biggest event in the world, not the Super Bowl as you've been lied to all this time by media pundits in your country. :rolleyes: :D

11. nwave

nwave New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Toronto
    well, I'm not American but we Canadians do hear a soccer bashing from south of the border because our media is pretty much dominated by the US media networks. I don't know why but I'm fascinated by the view that Fox News presents haha its comedic to say the least :D At least they don't hate hockey as much as soccer.

Seems that they instantly compare soccer to football (NFL and college football that is) despite the fact they virtually have NOTHING in common. Seems like it represents a mental or cultural threat of some kind to domestic football. I know that in Australia some also bash soccer because it represents a threat to Australian football to some fans of AFL (australian football league). I wonder if rugby people hate soccer? My impression is rugby fans don't maybe because soccer isn't called rugby? :D

12. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm kinda falling out with Football these days. You can't bloody tackle anymore! Now back in the day it used to be good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-5mFDDMnk"]YouTube - Rangers -2- Steua Bucharest -1- European cup[/ame]

Watch Souness's tackle around 1:58. Now that's a tackle! :D Only a yellow card as well.

13. webaph

webaph New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Football (NFL), baseball, and basketball are the traditional sports in USA. That's what they play and they don't want to play anything else. In Europe, the traditional sport is soccer. I think Europeans would be pretty pissed too if suddenly Americans try to get the NFL into Europe, and europeans would insult and laugh at the sport... which the Americans won't understand.
    gotta see it from both viewpoints.

14. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    They did. It failed.

15. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    more or less agree with the above post but

1. 'Europeans', I hate the term, are not trying to force soccer in the US.
    2. Soccer is the most popular sport in most countries around the world, the US (and maybe Canada) is virtually alone in not embracing the sport. It is not a European sport; go to Africa, Asia and South America and tell them that soccer is a European sport.
    3. American football (NFL) is only played in the US professionally. A lot of people outside the US do not take it all that seriously as a sport for that reason; it is uniquely American yes. Why hasn't it ever succesful expanded around the world? Maybe a whole load of reasons, but maybe too because it is seen, and marketed, as an American sport. Whereas soccer is a global game, and Europe just happens to be where the money is at in the sport.

16. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends on how you define it as a European sport. In as much as the current game was founded in England, then yes, its "European" or more specifically, "English." Or is it "Asian/Chinese?" Since we have since discovered records of a bunch of Chinese guys kicking something around as the oldest evidence to date?

Or is it "European" since Europe is where all the money is?

I really think that is why a lot of Americans dont like soccer. Its a game that America is not number one at, and it grates!

17. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are not now and never have been. We're not good in mens tennis now but tennis is still getting good coverage. America has NEVER been good at soccer and that's why people don't care. If the men ever win a world cup - or even get to a finals i think people will start to pay attention because as good as the women are, only women tennis players are marketable and even then only if they have "the look."

18. Steelmind

Steelmind New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    cm-online.com :)
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Americans hate soccer because they suck at it. End of story :)

19. infomercialscams

infomercialscams New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I love Sport..
    I dont think anyone hate the Sport..
    If someone hate sport because of the some reasons like they beware to accidents which is come in sports at the time of playing....

20. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The league failed you are right. But the NFL has a regular season game in London. Used to be per-season.

At least the Premier League nixed the 39th game.

21. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    Intrigued by this thread, I found the video:

It is sad they laugh at the world's greatest game. It's also sad because while many choose to ignore it, it is huge in the US. I bet every one of those laughing guys has a kid that plays and will one day, watch it on tv (maybe even instead of nascar or football).

I have a buddy at ESPN who says all the mid-manager level guys LOVE soccer, but the exec's who make the decisions don't. There is tons of soccer footage and bits ready for sportscenter almost every day. But when they start cutting things to make the final show, soccer is the first to get cut.

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    It's not sad at all, it's funny. I love this commercial and laugh every time.

And I'll bet that their kids won't be watching this instead of Gridiron, even if they play it now.

sidspaceman repped this.
  23. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    [quote="Rev Hart, post: 17189071, member: 131124"

... I've also come to the conclusion that the majority of Americans in this Country will never learn to accept a Foreign Sport as one of their own....
    [/quote]

They sure as sh-t accepted golf (not to mention tennis)....and they are both as "foreign" as soccer....

24. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ordinary Americans who hate soccer hate it because they're afraid it will somehow weaken other established sports or because they just don't want to take the time to experience the sport. The media types hate it because they don't know the game, so it threatens their status as sports experts. I've heard my fellow Americans give lots of reasons for not liking soccer, but these are feeble covers for the real basic reasons they don't like it. Most any reason they give for not liking soccer can also be applied to a sport they like.
    Why hate a sport? I don't know. Seems much more efficient to just ignore it if you don't like it.

Zxcv repped this.
  25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown