Why ESPN?

Discussion in 'Korea' started by skimmilk, Feb 25, 2012.

1. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The fact that they changed it was great, but the lack of acknowledgement and explanation of the error is disappointing.

2. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    complaining to ESPN might not get results but complaining to CNN or other media would force the issue upon them. I wouldn't be surprised if some journalist would write a quick article about this and the Lin issue. BLogs are probably the easiest place to incite. From what i've seen it usually starts from blogs... then grows to smaller networks then bigger media networks ala CNN.

I made a complaint to ESPN but they just respond back with we are sorry. it won't happen again. Sweep under the rug.

EDIT: clever nad1998.. having a Lin tag

3. nad1998

nad1998 Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Tacoma
    If u want more press, contact sites like Deadspin, AngryAsianman blog, Asian American Journalist Association, Darren Rovell, etc.

if you tweet, I'd include the headline and probably hashtag #Lin so catches more people's attention

4. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I do not accept.

5. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Playing the victims isn't the right posture to adopt against racism.
    Racism does exist, and it will always exist.

Laugh from it, and walk away from it.
    It's the best thing to do.

6. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that bot excuse is SO flimsy.

its an insult they'd actually try and use it.

F them.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

An apology on the front page would at least turn my seething rage to simmering.

That's a very sad way to respond to an error by one of the largest media organizations on the planet. It's thanks to people like you espn editors are ok with this and the chink in the armor headline.

8. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    its the weekend so don't expect much. People are not at work. Best you can do is inflame the Blogosphere.

9. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

The sad way to respond is giving that guy more importance.
    If you want my two cents, they'll throw a stupid excuse to the media at best and voila, end of story.

That dude can always pledge for mistyping. No one can prove that it was intended. Koreans have 3 names, it can easily be mistaken (there you go, i gave you a possible excuse for ESPN).

10. icecreamman11

icecreamman11 New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC

Except that in the article, they refer to him as Lee, so there goes that excuse...next?

11. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You mean an end of story like firing an editor, embarrassing the company across the world, and resulting in actual quality writing on race in modern sport?

Even if all it results in is an apology and internal reprimands, at least that one editor will look twice before hastily writing a headline.

Small changes are better than no changes.

1 person likes this.
  12. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    I knew this was intentional but I didn't trust myself because I thought my judgment may be clouded so I bounced this off of a very experienced editor and he agreed it was deliberate.

13. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It was definitely intentional. The fact that a red flag didn't go up when the word "gook" was published in a headline just shows that there is no quality control over there. Any half-decent editor would have caught this.

14. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would like more heads to roll.

Whats most unnerving about this all is how subversive these insults are. Tongue and cheek at a cocktail party.

16. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
  17. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thanks. I kept a screenshot... You know, just in case...

18. Libertas

Libertas Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There's no way somebody would be that dumb to write that intentionally. It just can't be possible.

19. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    I'm not sure how speaking up about this sort of thing is playing the victim.
    Laughing and walking away from it is what our parents' generation did. Maybe if we respond as a group, it will bring about an awareness so that our children won't have to suffer the same racism.

As SkimMilk noted, we can't expect changes overnight but small steps are a start.

20. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Actually, we'll never know.

Either the guy was totally ignorant about Korean names and typed it wrong, or he did it intentionally thinking it would attract more attention as a title (i think he won on that one).

I honestly believe peoples are making too much noise around sport titles.
    There's racism everywhere every day, it would be a huge mess if we filled a complain for every racist behaviors we encounter. Especially for synonyms (i wouldn't even call that an insult, or we can condemn "Frenchi", "Bosch", and many others, not mentioning i hear them every day and often).

The reason that "chink" guy got fired is not because of the title, but because of the attention peoples brought to it and the drama that occurred around it.

There's much worse thing happening in the world right now, and peoples are able to argue about "chink" appearing in a sport title, LOL.

21. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's just human behavior.

Humans on earth = war.
    Humans of different religion/ethnic living in a melting pot = racism.

This is never gonna change, dream on.

22. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    1. I'm not Australian (that flag was for the AC final).
    2. I've probably traveled more than you will ever travel in your life. ;)

23. Chong-soo

Chong-soo Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Jeonbuk Motors
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Because i can't make a racket out of "chink" and "gook" being published on internet ?

Ok.

Just my opinion though.

24. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Uhhh ok....? So if they were to publish something like "**********'s got game", we should just gloss over it?