Why do Verm and Kos make so many mistakes?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by darcgun, Nov 1, 2012.

1. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not just referring to the own goal two days ago.

But it seems this season and even last season, Verm and kos are a bit erratic. they may make a bad tackle, be out of position, or make a silly header.

Is this the true root of our defensive problems? Overall, both are good defenders, but it's this erratic nature that is troubling.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    a mix of bad luck and lack of discipline. they need to really concentrate on spatial awareness (ie. where the opposition are) and keep both formation and an ability to be in a position to cut out potential danger.

3. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because their humans

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because they are average defenders.

6. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  7. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    I think because they are often the more mobile CB of the one they are paired they find themselves in bad positions. I also wonder if Kos is a good communicator on field.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not saying they should never make mistakes. But it seems in almost every game, they do some silliness. They seldom ever have perfect games.

9. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are undersized to be CBs in EPL and at least one of them has discipline issues.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're both listed as over 6 ft, with Kos listed as 6'1". Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lescott are all listed as between 6'1" or 6'2". Gallas and Carvalho (and yes both are certainly past their prime) are listed at 6. Kolo is listed at 6 but certainly did the job for us until he got fat. Only Kompany is significantly taller at 6'4". Point is...they're not undersized and neither really lacks pace either. They just both make too many mental errors with Verm's compounded by the fact that he seems to lack tactical discipline as you mention.

11. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both Verm and Kos did well last season, but I've been unimpressed with them of late.

Bouldy needs to work on their mental discipline and decision-making.

12. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Kos is better then TV5

DaPrince84 and mebeSajid repped this.
  13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I saw some pictures on here from a while back where the Arse-AM supporters posed with Verm. He ain't no 6-0 footer, Sir. And also, undersized = height plus strength. Both are a bit lightweight.

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you know how tall the ArseAm supporters were then, I suppose? Also both of their weights aren't far off from all the other defenders I've already mentioned so unless you've been spotting them when they hit the weights, I doubt you have any insight into how strong they are. More importantly, I'm not sure why you're giving Vermaelen a pass based on physical attributes when it's pretty clear from watching him that he costs us goals because of dumb mistakes and getting pulled all out of tactical shape with relative ease by opposing players.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Vermaelen is not 6 feet tall, but thats not why he struggles.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Vermaelen is tactically atrocious. He's got all the tools except positional discipline. I still remember how Barcelona made him look like such a little bitch by simply floating balls up through the right channel.

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to pick a fight with you man. I just don't think they are tall enough, or strong enough, or in the case of Verm, disciplined enough, as CBs on a top team should be. We have all seen enough already.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the latter part of your sentence is really my point. Whether you believe the sites that say he's 6 feet or the sites that say he's 5'11" or 5'10.5", I just disagree that his lack of size is what's contributing to his mediocre-to-poor form over the last season or so.