Why do people say CONCACAF is crap?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by special_k, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    All the time on here I hear how "crappy" the CONCACAF teams are and how easy the region is and that Mexico nad the USA have it easy, and personally im sick of all that ignorance. If you took a look at the average rankings of all the regions from this past qualifying cycle youd see some interesting results. I took about 10 mintues to calculate all the numbers, heres what i got.

UEFA
    Group 1- 63 Avg Rank
    Group 2- 54
    Group 3- 91.5
    Group 4- 58.5
    Group 5- 52.5
    Group 6- 57
    Group 7- 69.5
    Group 8- 59

Asia
    Group A- 63.5
    Group B- 48

Oceania- 95

Africa
    Group 1- 80
    Group 2- 91
    Group 3- 76
    Group 4- 81
    Group 5- 84

COMNEBOL- 34

CONCACAF- 47

As you can see, all these supposed "super strong" UEFA groups arent that close to CONCACAF rankings wise.

Also I used the ELO ratings because I feel they are a bit moer accurate. However if I had used the FIFA rankings the results would be even more in CONCACAF's favor.

Mostly I hear the ignorant banter from the Eurosnobs on this board, So before you idiots go and bash Mexico, USA, or whoever, maybe you should take a minute and look at the rankings. CONCACAF isnt a weak group. Stop sounding like idiots and read something. And give credit where credit is due.

2. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    cause those ranks are crap too.

3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    meh, the rankings arent great.

what you cant argue with though is the average of 5 points per team in the last world cup first round.

4. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Care to elaborate?

5. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Heh, see, look no further than the ignorant SInner78 in the "overrated" topic a bit below. Man, it never stops.

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Your rankings are crap as they don't compare apples with apples. For a start CONCACAF's final group that you list averages for qualified 3 teams automatically and gave another a playoff. Each African group only qualified 1 team. OFC's group qualified no one. If you average the final group of 2 that OFC qualifies from it gives an average ranking of 22. Of course all this is meaningless. The toughest place to qualify from is Europe, then South America, then OFC (due to the playoff with South America), then Africa, then CONCACAF and AFC bring up the rear. This isn't due to the quality of team at the top of each region, but the quality of team you need to beat to qualify.

7. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Toughest to qualify from? Thats utterly subjective. I simply averaged out the teams in the group, no more no less. Seeing as each team in the group play each other, that is all that is needed in this discussion.

heh, and I find it funny, first everyone says Fifa rankings were crap, and you should go by the ELO rankings, and now theyre crap aswell?

8. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    let me get some of that stuff you're sniffing...

9. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    How bout you just not post at all if youre just gonna look like an ass? Thatd be cool. Clown

10. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    until concacaf teams consistently reach the semi-finals and at least two reach quarterfinals, we will still be inferior in the eyes of most Europeans and S. Americans.

11. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    says the girl who comes out with useless stats.

12. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Wow, what an utterly ignorant statement. Hahaha, I can tell youre just some kid that never really has anything interesting to say, you just come into topics to try and stir the pot. Sad, but ingorance isnt anything uncommon. Calling people girls when you have no idea what they are? Priceless, and so ignorant. Haha, you should just quit the internet. Some people are just incapable of intelligent speech. Ah well.

And yes hooligan, I think that may be the only way for the region to get the exposure it deserves. It just pains me to see people say its crap. It shouldnt be that way, but there world must have its idiotic BorrachoNJs I guess.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Er, no, it isn't, because as has already been pointed out to you differing number of teams qualify from those groups. So essentially you're stats are completely meaningless.

14. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    calm down. despite not reading your whole post, i see the useless graphics are probably to rile Euros and SAs up.
    maybe it should have been in world rivalries instead...

but i do believe concacaf is the future. others definitely won't listen or care what you say. just a foreshadow.

good luck...

sissy.

15. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    this is another very good reason why people say we're crap. granted, it's not like UEFA and CAF don't have a bajillion worthless teams, but they do have more decent or quality sides.

16. CrespoOffside

CrespoOffside New Member

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    The CONCACAF is like the beer league of the world minus Mexico, US, and arguably Costa Rica. Point final.

17. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Listen dont post in a topic if you havent read anything, you look like an ass, calling people girls and making rediculous comments. Once again, anything you say from here on it, im just ignoring, BigSoccer needs to get some sort of User Ignore feature or something. You honestly have the demeanor of my nephew. Haha, I know I shouldnt say this, but I shouldnt expect much from someone from NJ honestly. Ive been there, not a nice place.

And yes CONCACAF has some weak teams, but doesnt every region? Its not so rediculously bad to get the monicer(sp) Concacrap like some ignorant people here.

18. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    fair 'nuff, little girl.

good stats, you're right.

and actually, i believe there is a ignore list. ask someone who gives a crap.

good luck.

19. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    I must know, why do you insist on calling me a girl? Do you get some sort of sadistic joy out of it? Cuz really, youre clever, "girl" I shoulda thought of that one. Please show a bit of maturity kid.

20. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    The point that there are a lot of minnows is well-taken. But of the bottom half of those 32 teams, guess how many have a population of > 1,000,000? A whopping ONE (D.R., which is admittedly total crap in soccer--they're happy to be the best place on the planet by far for baseball). You can't really expect very small nations to succeed at the international level, although they might produce excellent individual players. So if you look at in terms of percentage of good teams, sure, the little island nations are going to ensure that the region will never be a Europe in terms of soccer strength (or practically anything else--economic or political power, cultural influence, etc.), where there are a lot of good teams. It just isn't feasible.

You should really judge the region by teams of, let's say 1,000,000 or greater. Without checking my CIA world factbook, we have:

US
    Mex
    CAN
    CR
    Panama
    Cuba
    Haiti (a functioning country in name only)
    Honduras
    Guat.
    ES
    Nicaragua
    Puerto Rico (US territory)
    T&T (not much bigger than a million people)
    DR

Again, you will notice the only large countries not at the top half of the region are on the island of Hispaniola (DR and Haiti).

Of those 10 or 11 teams, you have 2 very good ones (US, Mex), one just plain good one (Costa Rica), 4 or 5 okay teams (T&T, Honduras, Guat., Panama), 2 not quite good enough to be called okay teams (Canada and ES, maybe Cuba, which is just now taking to the sport in all earnestness) and only Haiti, DR, and (if you count it) Puerto Rico, and Nicarague as minnows. Meanwhile, ALL of the teams under 1,000,000 could be classified as minnows. Not one of them is close to being decent.

So be clear what you mean when you say "Concacaf isn't that good." Among decent-sized countries, it's not that bad--certainly the ratio of good teams in countries of 1,000,000 or more compares quite favorably to Asia and Africa.

Of course, Oceania is mostly made up of these same types of countries. We should judge the confeds on the quality of those teams that can be reasonably expected to be decent. Concacaf does very well by this measure.

Of the 14 (again, if we really can include P.R.?) teams that are not prohibited by population from being good sides, 7 are ranked in the FIFA top 55 (sorry, too lazy to look up other rankings). That's a pretty competitive group. Meanwhile, the African and Asian Confederations, which have many more countries that are not micro-states, have 9 and 5, respectively in the top 55.

Sorry, but you can't say that Concacaf is crap. Among non-micro states, we are only surpassed by South America (and maybe Europe) in the % of good teams.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    While it is easier to qualify from CONCACAF the games are harder than the average game in an UEFA group, if the ELO rankings are to be believed. The reason for this is because CONCACAF gets rid of its crap teams early before the group stage. The US won a 6 team group harder than the average UEFA group.

22. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Finally some intelligent responses. I have to agree with you last two posters. I think the region suffers mostly because of those literal "minnows". Its hard to even compare regions due to that but I applaud you PaulGascoigne for showing what you did. It really gets to me when people say its a crap region, imo, its one of the harder ones in the later stages.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wouldn't. Not sure how you can even get a valid comparison. They rarely play each other and World Cup history tells me that African Teams at World Cups do not perform as well as CONCACAF teams. Its hard to get a straight up comparison as in the previous two tournaments Africans and North Americans weren't drawn in groups together.

24. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Three automatic birth and one play-off against Asian team, fair enough, 4 out of 32 teams.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Which conveniently overlooks the fact that 3 1/2 teams qualify out of the CONCACAF group whereas an average of 1.625 teams qualify out of a UEFA group. So wheras you might plausibly argue that the games are (slightly) harder, it's not the critical issue in terms of comparing the difficulty of qualification. Look at T&T's record, for example.