Why BeINsport is a failure

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Cantona, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be clear about something, if I were a fan of La Liga then beIN would be the greatest thing to happen in a while. Between Barca TV, Real Madrid TV, La Liga highlight show, La Liga coverage, the coverage La Liga gets on the Express and the Lockeroom it's clear where their focus is.

As a Serie A fan, it's been extremely disappointing and a step back. I haven't had to find illegal streams of games in a long time. This season I've done it on numerous occasions already.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Your missing the point - mine isn't on there.

3. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have DirecTV , so except for Barcelona ( I'm not interested to watch them) and Real Madrid, plus occasional Atletico Madrid or Malaga game, all La Liga games are on Espanol channel. Which is in standard definition. Now , Serie A games are on English channel in glorious HD. I do not find Serie A interesting even in the slightest, but Bein stuck with that format, so I'm pretty upset about it. I come here and I see that Serie A fans upset too, though I'm kind of confused why. I guess you can't please everyone.

ceezmad and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Even though I criticize Serie A in the past about losing its best stars and near empty stadiums - I actually like it more than La Liga and only slightly behind the EPL. The Serie A coverage on Bein Sport isn't as bad as i thought it would be....Not as good as FSC but better than nothing which I had over a month ago (i'm a TWC customer).

Wonder how BosnaInter feels about Bein Sport?:)

5. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure he feels BeIN Sport is a pawn in the grand EPL/Illuminati conspiracy to prevent the masses from embracing Serie A.

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The only thing I think people have a legit gripe about is the inability for streaming and putting up overflow games like ESPN.
    But considering it took ESPN many years to master that aspect of broadcasting and BEIN is just in its infancy stage...
    ...I think we have to be a bit more patient.

7. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, one could argue that ESPN has shown how it can be done and BeIN has no excuses for its failure to do the same.
    Ask the folks in Canada whom BeIN has completely shut-out about being patient.

KensingtonSC and Dante repped this.
  8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With all the arab money JSC has, its still gonna take time

For example, take a look at their teams PSG, ManC, and in some form, Arsenal ;)

9. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Canadians can thank the CRTC for their problems. For those unfamiliar, the CRTC is the equivalent to the FCC in the US. The CRTC has very strict rules about Canadian ownership of broadcasters.

Now, you can make the argument that beINSport were well aware of the CRTC rules prior to purchasing the rights. That's true but two points need to be made: One, beINSport cannot be happy at paying the respective FA's for the rights but not have a way to broadcast in Canada. While the results may look like it, beIN did not buy the rights just to black-out everybody else. Their intent is to broadcast in Canada. Two, the alternative would be to first set up a partnership with a Canadian-owned corporation then purchase the rights. But the rights came up NOW, and waiting would mean access only 3 years from now. Not to mention what creating the partnership would indicate to all of their competition in 3-years time. As a business, would you go through all the cost of purchasing/creating a semi-Canadian entity only to hope you are the highest bidder 3 years from now (giving all your potential competition plenty of time to partner up with others to counter any large bid you may come in with)? Or do you utilize the "surprise factor" and grab the rights and then work on partnering up?

Yes, the fans are getting screwed. It sucks. I'm not seeing any action in Canada at the moment. Doesn't mean there are no talks going on but I doubt that the fans get any Serie A or La Liga this season. But I would be very surprised, however, if by the summer some version of beINSport is not active in the Canadian market. But thats just my opinion...

As far as the CRTC is concerned, I have mixed feelings. I guess I can understand the need to protect domestic corporations and content. On the other hand, we live in a globalized society. Foreign investment has penetrated every sector of business. Seems that the CRTC is being a bit "protectionist" in its policies. Country of ownership should not play a role in the 21st century. As far as content, perhaps there is room to demand a certain percentage of content being produced in Canada. But apparently, the rules go beyond that in the Great White North...

SA

Redbullsnation2012 and Minduchio repped this.
  10. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted Arab Stan Kroenke would like to have a word with you.

11. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All fair, well reasoned points. Sadly, I think you have put much more thought into this than BeIN ever did prior to purchasing rights for programming they had no possible way to show at the time of purchase.

12. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Emirates??

13. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I don't think we need to be more patient. It took ESPN years to master that aspect because the technology wasn't at the level it is today. It's not particularly hard to get streaming set up. Considering the fact that they were able to stream on their website when it launched then stopped I think it's fair to criticize them. Throw in the fact that they stepped in with a ton of money and bought up rights to leagues with little thought to how they would be able to show games.

Good news for me, Bein 1 or whatever the regular English channel is called just popped up on Comcast for me with GolTV dropping off. So it only took them 4 months to get the main Bein on Comcast.

14. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They bought naming rights to the shirt and the stadium. They do not own the team.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well there are a lot of technicalities and formalities to consider other than the technology itself. They have to figure out how they want to design it. They have to figure out how they can make it different than ESPN Or Univision and other streaming sites or else there could be legal action. And of course they have to figure out which games they want to put on there and how people can access it. Not to mention whether extra fees should be applied to access it.

Legal processes and paper work sometimes takes longer to decide upon than the actual technology.

16. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a reasonable time for all of this to get done should take how long? In your mind, six months is not nearly enough time for BeIN to reinvent the wheel. In my mind, they are 3 months overdue.

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well I can't complain unless I know the details.

Too many people complain about things without knowing the details about what the company is working on behind closed doors.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  18. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As consumers, we have every right to be impatient. And if the company had the basic business sense to announce something, anything specific re: streaming plans, there would be way less b*tching around these parts.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You mean Sheikh Walmartstan El Kron K?

TJNash repped this.
  20. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    what does some form means?

Geez... :rolleyes:

21. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    This to me is all the type of info that a serious business should have figured out before they launched. Al Jazeera is a very professional organization but clearly the people running bein are not learning from them. There are more than enough options in terms of streaming/site design for them to have figured out how to make it different enough that any legal action would fail. Determining whether there should be subscriber fees shouldn't take 6 months. Do they not have analysts that can calculate all revenue based on different price points while balancing that against the cost? That's not exactly rocket science in this day and age.

TJNash repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Both serie A matches shown live today. But no streaming so if you live in a dorm or your mother's basement, you're still screwed. ;)

MetroChile and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    When Setanta folded in the middle of the season, didn't FSC have their own replacement streaming running almost instantly? IIRC their streaming service was minimal before that. No excuse for BeIN to take so long.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They don't have the cost-benefit analysis. It's all a write-off for them at this point.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How they dare not please everyone, Big Failure for sure. :mad: :p