Why BeINsport is a failure

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Cantona, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I dont even get bein (curse you fios) but i dont see why they cant just use phil and ray for the 1-2 big la liga matches each day. They must be getting paid decent $ for bein to feel like they need to call all these matches. Ive become used to hearing them call la liga matches on gol tv over the years. For ligue1, just use the intl feed with matthew spiro and co. same for serie a with whittle and visca. These guys know the leagues they call so well. You can always tell the differences. Its not about acccents or being a eurosnob but what is steve cangelosi going to tell me about ligue 1 that i dont already know. Nothing...he just calls what he sees with no real insight.

As for the studio setup during pre and post match i think that everyone should do what sky sports does. Have a unique set up for whatever league youre broadcasting. Have an ex player or league expert on a panel and let them talk. I like a pretty girl as much or maybe more than the next guy but this sportscenter quick highlights bullshit setup just means that halftime is time to piss or grab a drink. Fox soccer has been trying to improve their pre and post match studio stuff but it still has a way to go. I used to hit the bathroom during the match when i had setanta because i didnt want to miss the studio guys comments and insight during halftime or post match. Its just that depth of knowledge and passion for the sport that i wish bein would spend all this money on. And, oh yeah, work things out with fios so i can unhook the laptol from the tv ;)

MetroChile repped this.
  2. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Bein is NOT acitvely seeking additional carriers at this time.. they were close to a deal with AT&T which fell through due to AT&T digital online requirements (aka ONDEMAND model).. so they are not seeking anything on the digital platform currently. BeIN scrambled to get with carriers for their launch and paid HEFTY launch fees which will put them with no profit margins for the next 3 years at a minimum.. now they are in limbo.. not willing to spend any more cash for launch fees..the sheik and stopped the open flow of cash.. Briceno took as much cash as he could initially because he knew it would dry up at some point.. thats why he didnt do the research and get top camera talent.. he got the easy quick wins and pulled in the talent from across the street... the sheik has now put a cap on spending.

Digital Platforms ARE a must.. this is a huge step backwards..and especially from an outfit that has cash to do it correctly. Al Jazeera sports in the mideast is a top notch channel.. nothing like this bastard child of a channel.

They need new leadership and change NOW.

Cantona---

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    So you personally know what is going on within their behind the scenes offices. You know for a fact they are not negotiating anything with anyone and have completely given up on a digital platform?

Redbullsnation2012 and MetroChile repped this.
  4. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    yes.

And there are no current plans on the digital front..

Cantona---

5. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie A is the third most popular league in the (anglophone) US: behind English and (UEFA obviously) Champions.

As for Ray Hudson, you hate him but many people, including myself, love him and think he should be doing USMNT games... although at least in Taylor Twellman, they finally find an analyst who's worth listening to.

They air a ton of games every weekend in good quality. The games are the key right now. The rest they can build. But people are going to find things to whine about no matter what they do.

6. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Please o Please TELL ME what "insight" Mr. Ray Hudson provides?????

NONE... you and the rest like him because he screams.. Majesterial.. and Orgasmic.. and you think that is good commentary. Most people that like Ray have NEVER been exposed to a good commentary team.... they only like him because he is different. His fake over exuberance between him and Phil is tiresome and annoying. This channel has taken soccer backwards.. some of you really cant see that.

Cantona---

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sounds like a personal problem: why not make the investment?

And not everyone cares about your whining.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That sounds like a personal problem that you have watching matches online. Why don't you try doing it?

And not everyone cares about your opinion, yet you're still here running your yap.

TJNash and Dante repped this.
  9. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the condescension. I watch hundreds of games a year via all different providers, via countless leagues. I've lived abroad and listened to foreign (and non-British) commentary teams. Are you saying that none of them have a single "good commentary team"?

What I like about Hudson is that he appreciates good soccer. And yes, that makes him different. He's not like the typical British commentator we Americans are ga-ga over because that's what we think we're supposed to do if we want to look sophisticated to the Europeans we are so pathetically desperate to impress. He's not the typical Brit or American commentator who is only about "hard work" and "getting stuck in" and who makes excuses for all sorts of dangerous goonery but demands the death penalty for any player who goes down "too easily" when legitimately fouled. If this is the "insight" you find so valuable, then you can keep it.

There are hardly any analysts I hear decent insight from. Few do any more than stating the obvious. At least give me one that's not going to put me to sleep.

10. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    so you admit the obvious.. you like the screaming fake 8 year old humor.

dont pretend you are some worldly connoisseur of football commentary.. the fact you defend the comedy team of Hudson and Ray explains it all.

Cantona---

11. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the complaining about choice of matches, the original whiner should bear in mind that television networks are businesses. They are always going to show Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga because those are the teams that are going to draw the most eyeballs. Just like ESPN only broadcast Los Angeles and New York MLS games because those are the most high profile clubs. Just like Fox Soccer will always show the SPL game involving Celtic or always show British clubs in the Champions League even if there are far more compelling matchups (ex: last week, they showed the dead rubber Man Utd-Cluj instead of the meaningful Shaktar Donetsk-Juventus) because those clubs have the largest following here... largest potential audience for their BUSINESS.

Gio-13, Redbullsnation2012 and chrayatl repped this.
  12. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He offers about the same insight as most analysts but at least is entertaining during games that are often boring. The pool of analysts in this country that offer good insight can probably be counted on one hand and have fingers (plural) left over. Since they're not going to get an insightful one, hardly any being available, I'm okay with getting one that's at least entertaining.

I certainly won't confuse you for some worldly connoisseur. You want commentators who offer zero insight, make excuses for thug cheats AND put you to sleep. You can keep them.

13. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead throwing temper tantrums like a petulant child at anyone who dares disagree with your fiats, why don't you enlighten us with your brilliant wisdom?

Give us examples of some of the brilliant analysts on American broadcasts that beIN should hire instead.

14. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ESPN figured this out the last two years..
    You must have you announcers AT THE STADIUM

take the international feed for SERIE A... tried and true commentators AT THE STADIUM.. they live and breathe Italian football.. they LIVE in ITALY.

not in a condo in south beach.

are you getting the picture yet?

Cantona---

15. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE A "DIGITAL PLATFORM"

show all the matches live and on demand.

Get with the times. This is not 1995.

Cantona---

16. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Cantona still won't give examples of good analysts that beIN should've hired instead. Why? Because there aren't any. End of discussion.

17. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been on the air for, what, three months? You want it all instantly. And as a soccer fan, I do too. But as someone who's older than 9, I realize that in the real world, that's not always possible. I always realize that it's also easy to make such demands when it requires OTHER PEOPLE spending their money.

But maybe the reason they don't spend the money is because they aren't confident they'll earn it back. They may not share your optimism that Vallaolid-Getafe and Brighton & Hove Albion-Peterborough would get blockbuster ratings.

I know I refuse to pay $20 for the garbage that is FoxSoccer2Go. I'd rather beIN wait and get digital right rather than imitate that overpriced crap.

18. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Seeing as how AlJazeera does own this company, why note use the guys in London who do the AJ studio analysis. The same way FSC should use the SKY guys. But they all act as if people will tune out in droves if they don't see the FSC logo on there. People will actually be more inclined to watch because they are going to hear some insightful analysis and from people with a greater passion for the game.

19. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In 1995?

These days it's probably more like (if you're including European competition) this for English speakers in America:
    1. Premier League
    2. UEFA Champions League
    3. La Liga
    4. MLS
    5. Europa League
    6. Serie A (which is all but off television now)

I bet Celtic on FOX does better than Serie A on BEin.

TJNash, Redbullsnation2012 and Cantona repped this.
  20. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No end of discussion... you obviously cant read... I gave you the whole Serie A international feed.. as an example of who to use..the idiotic thing is THEY HAVE ACCESS to the feed..but the management in Miami want Ray and Phil spewing their nonsense. NOW if you are looking for half time analyst and pundits Corolla is right.. just take a look at their Arab cousin and see how punditry is done correctly. Again they have people that are in that country, reporters and crews on site.

FoxSoccer2Go was a great deal.. again.. I dont know what you are talking about..it was a better deal when the had a larger inventory.. but for someone who wants that option of watching all games live from the Premiership and FA Cup you still cant beat it. You still dont get the concept of the digital platform do you.

BeIN will never be a INTERNATIONAL sports channel until they start seeing the light.

Cantona---

21. Bianco Celeste

Mar 15, 2006
    Cantona - I know FOR A FACT you are wrong about carriage negotiations AND digital integration. Please check your sources (Oliver?).

beIN has been up and running for less than 6-months and you're already ringing a death bell and calling for leadership change? That is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've read on these boards since Ollie left/was banned!! You must be quite the successful businessman using that model! Give them a year and let them at least get settled into a groove and get through a season of programming - good grief!

It's notions like this that account for the high percentage of sh!te TV coming out of America...no one has patience anymore to just let things develop and grow!

Is there room for improvement? Of course there is - and I'm 100% positive the folks there know that - and are doing what they can to address the shortcomings (ie: letting Temryss Lane go, bringing in Ross Dyer). And, as has been stated on here numerous times before - if you don't like the talent (or think you can do better) submit a resume! I'm sure you'd provide the hard working folks in Miami with a good chuckle!

Let me also make a suggestion - consult the FCC/CRTC regulations regarding continental channel content before spouting off about taking in cheap international feeds and such. YOU may enjoy them, but perhaps there are regulations that state you need a certain percentage of AMERICAN talent doing certain things on an AMERICAN channel - like PBP, original programming and hosting - rather than just hooking in the international feed for everything. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed... And I'm sure of they did that, someone on here would be whining about how Al Jazeera is using feeds to prevent Americans from working. Instead of being pissed off - consider that they are at least doing something for the economy - as small as that may be in your mind.

Now, I'm sure you'll crucify me for disagreeing with you - but as someone with some business knowledge and acumen, the fact you are calling for such wild changes less than six months into the running of the business is laughable...completely laughable.

How about you give it some time and re-post this ridiculous thread in about a year....then you may have something many of us won't laugh at.

-Celeste

22. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Though i completely agree with your quoted statement above, its quite dismissive to think this is not an issue that matters.

Come with me please...

Commentary is a big part of football coverage, the purpose is to provide an experience beyond the lines. To say the FSC and Bein in-house announcers are dreadful and a disgrace is an understatement. The duo of Ray and Phil are the worst example of "what" should not have any business calling or commenting on a football game. These mumbling nincompoops offer no insight or originality whatsoever to the games they call and weekly lick themselves silly with pleasure at what great US soccer announcers they are because no one writes about how idiotic they sound day-in day-out.

Rather than a tactical analysis and opinion that is beyond the realm of what is on the screen, random commentary with incessant moaning is pretty much what is on offer each time any of these guys get on the microphone or whatever it is they speak in to.

A good commentator leaves you thinking about what you saw, not what you had him/her say - ray hudson is the complete opposite. To borrow the words of Cantona, ray is a delusional and embarrassing dinosaur.

If you haven't already, i would encourage you to listen to James Richardson football weekly podcast.

Cheers.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very well written and a great read. Buffoons.

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    [​IMG]

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This Temryss Lane?

[​IMG]

I think they should just rotate her chair 180 degrees, so when she talks out of her ass ...