Who's next in the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    +1, true soccer fans support their local teams

2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i think the Columbus Crew should be the next D2/NASL team. they really have not business being in MLS, the market is not that big or strong and they are obviously not able to keep up with the "MLS 2.0" teams. but 10-12K attendance would make them a strong D2/NASL team and one would hope that in the long run (ie 10-20 years down the line) that a strongish team but in a smallish market like Columbus are the sort of teams that are actually all thru the D2. and i might even throw San Jose in with Columbus as a team in a market that is more suited for D2 than MLS .... which would allow MLS to expand into San Francisco and some other more suitable and lucrative and soccer crazy market (assuming CLB/SJ are "demoted") while still keeping the overall number of MLS franchises to a managable 20-24 number.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably the dumbest post in this thread, if not one of the dumbest posts on BigSoccer.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's becoming very clear to me that USL might've bitten off more than it can chew with the way it's chosen to handle D-3. I've had varying opinions on the matter in the past, but I am definitely starting to sway in the direction of Orlando City joining the NASL as soon as possible regardless of situation.

As it stands right now, I could see Rochester and Charleston following suit. Given time, Wilmington might pan out as well; they had a 1,000-seat bump from game 1 to game 2 at home, up to 2,984.

5. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston will not move until a nationwide D2 makes financial sense. They are getting the same size crowds in D3 with a significantly lower operating cost.

6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh... I've seen worse. Much worse.

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Really. Columbus was always in the top of attendance in the league until the recession hit. It hit Columbus hard. Columbus has every right to be in MLS. I mean seriously Toronto has more losing seasons in their short MLS history then Columbus, and New England has more attendance problems then Columbus worst economic condition. Plus you never start counting Columbus attendance until the beginning of May. So get off your high Horse and chill.

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly wish I wasn't pulled away while writing my post. Maybe mine wouldn't have been buried by his pure inanity.

By OG's logic, New England, San Jose and Kansas City should've lost their teams long ago. And the Crew aren't doing quite as bad as they historically have yet.

I see it from the viewpoint that the rest of the league drawing <1,000 might prove to be a drag going forward. Charleston may end up seeing things differently, especially if others move.

And really, are the actual operating costs that much different? I know USSF set standards for D2, but are actual costs really that much different between D2 and D3? I would think the only real differences would be what you're willing to spend on player salaries and stadium rent.

9. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Battery often cite travel costs as prohibitive. They own their stadium.

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Columbus is not a "major league" market. Their NHL team draws flies and the most popular thing is a college football team. The truth is if you designed a top flight MLS from scratch you wouldn't include Columbus. it is a dead end market and their new attendance decline is what the market is truly going to be like going forward. this has nothing to do with the quality of the team or its play which has been both good and bad over time. it has to do with the market itself being to small and with the team's ever declining attendance and local relevance on top of that.

the hope in NE is that new ownership could come and turn it around because the market in Boston is definitely one of the largest in the country. unfortunately the pathetic ownership has failed to take advantage of that.

but the point remains. ideally, in a "start from scratch" scenario Columbus is far more suited as a strong D2 market and as an MLS market it will always be weak and bringing up the bottom of the attendance and relevance and corporate sponsorship.

now, will it actually ever happen. obviously not, they got in because of who owned them and at that time any market with a rich owner was a "good" market. but that is no longer the case and hasn't been for a while now.

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Okay so your that if it were the NFL you would cut Green Bay off because they are not a major league market. Your an A$$.

12. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OleGunnar20, here are a few facts about Columbus:
    • 15th largest city in the US
    • 32nd largest MSA in US and growing at over 13%
    • Largest season ticket deposit base in 1996 and Lamar Hunt's money got them at team.
    As a Crew season ticket holder since 1996 I'm used to this from other MLS markets.

Now, can we get back to the topic of this thread?

Orlando Rays, I am suprised that a fan of OCSC is already saying they want the team to move to NASL. I wonder if this is contractually even possible? I would like to see OCSC join the NASL as they have had a very strong start - which as a fan of US soccer I hope continues.

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm not surprised. NASL is so much better for Orlando. NASL has TB and MIA/FtL and its a step closer to MLS. plus even if it does not make it to MLS at least it wouldnt be stuck in USL-pro where it would be below their 2 NASL state rivals. Plus if Austin come back that would be a good rivalry right there even thought he Austin hate is more aimed at Rawlins.

14. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eclipse02, no worries about Ole. Anyone who has taken 2 seconds to read his ill informed bloviated nonsense quickly dismisses him. He's the kid in class who likes to hear himself talk.

As far as the topic, I would like a team in Indianapolis. It's not going to happen but would be nice.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    yea he basically is a tfc kid.

indy would be a great market

16. bleedyellowandblack

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thats weird because in 2010 columbus's attendance was right at the midway point for the league as it was in 2009. So are you basing your judgment on the few games that have been played so far this year? Seriously?? Using your logic half the league should be eliminated every year.Columbus got in the mls because of season ticket purchasers and corporate sponsorships.Don't you think eliminating the majority of columbus's stars this season has hurt attendence as well as crappy spring weather? The jackets don't draw right now because people are tired of losing. I guarantee if there was a playoff caliber team attendance would not be an issue. One playoff appearance in 10 years and you think people are going to flock to the games?

Lets not forget we were the first to build a sss in the league and now are dealing with an outdated, no frills stadium at the Ohio state fairgrounds in which there are no amenities around and its not all that convenient to get to and is no were close to the entertainment districts(arena district, Short north, downtown,etc.). So we were the trendsetters for the league while other teams are playing in cavernous football stadiums still(NE, DC) or stadiums that don't even seat 12,000(San jose and KC i know they're building a stadium) nevermind 22,000.

Your logic makes no sense when you consider columbus and san jose has 700,000 more people in their metro then salt lake city but you don't mention them. Also columbus is the only mls team in the 7th largest state and is located a 2 to 3 hour drive from cleveland,cincy,pittsburgh,detroit, and indianapolis which all have metros of 2million or more and we're not even figuring in lousville,toledo,dayton,akron etc...

Also metro columbus grew by 13 percent in the 2010 census which is comparable to seattle and portland which shows we're growing at a good rate which hardly what I would call a dead end market.So give me a break. What are these soccer hot beds that will be amazing once the newness wears off in mls2.0? Las vegas?? Miami?? Tampa?? We know how that went.

17. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who's next?

I think they are on the NASL radar. But the league needs US-based teams.

18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see a team in Omaha, but I think that the most we can hope for in Nebraska is a NPSL team. They could play at Creighton's Morrison Stadium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    That would be a perfect temporary Stadium.

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a NPSL team, 6K is perfect.

21. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be a perfect stadium, period

22. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting ideas from Commissioner David Downs in the IMSoccer News podcast #5.

He speaks very generally about expansion. I particulary liked his points that in D2 the team needs local ownership and needs to be a part of the fabric of the community.
    He doesn't want to mention cities by name. However, he mentions cities in the USA World Cup bid without an MLS team or NASL team. That means these markets are attractive to the NASL...
    • Baltimore
    • Indianapolis
    • San Diego
    • Phoenix
    • Nashville
    http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/...guest-nasl-commissioner-david-downs/#comments

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sniff* It's beautiful.

If it didn't have only 2,000 seats, it would be a perfect permanent stadium.

Responding to earlier, I'm just frustrated by the clear dichotomy between teams in USL Pro. Right now it's Orlando, Rochester, Charleston, Wilmington... and everybody else. I think City legit outdraws Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Dayton, LA and all the Caribbean teams combined.

KC gets their stadium in June. San Jose is still waiting to approve construction of theirs. Would hate to see another Houston Dynamo.

Wait, no I wouldn't. :p

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6K would be perfect for NASL, Looking at the pictures, they could add a few thousand in the future if needed behind the goals.

Is Omaha Central Time?

The 3 highlighted are Central/Eastern time zone, NASL eventually needs a team in the Mountain Time (or a western Division) Is Omaha Central time? How about Minneapolis?

6,000 (soccer) --- 2,000 reserved, 4,000 general admission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrison_Stadium

Even for NASL 6K is perfect (what is the minimum requirement for USSF?

I believe Austin was looking at a 5K+ stadium to join NASL.

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Omaha is central time