Who's next in the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that Chattanooga seems like the greatest possibility of an NPSL team making a jump all the way to NASL. Don't really know anything about their ownership situation either though. A very interesting possibility though.

I definitely don't agree about the NASL needing to resolve the ownership situations in Atlanta, Carolina, and Minnesota asll at once. First off, the main sticking point in all of this is making sure league integrity is all completely unquestionable, ie. no owners involved in multiple teams. Minnesota is league owned. And no matter how many times some arse clown wants to say, uh, yeah right, that just means Traffic, it's still not factual. Minnesota is by far the lowest priority of the three, doesn't need to necessarily be resolved before next season, and owners might not be the team's biggest hurdle. They need to get some kind of increase in attendance this year.

As for the other two, I see it like this. I would agree that at least one of these teams needs to have a new majority owner before next season, or another US market needs to be fielding a team in the league so that Traffic can divest itself of one of these teams, presumably whichever one draws worse, or is losing more money. The league has made some great strides in getting up and running this year, but I think that is only going to go so far with the USSF. Traffic has to be down to two teams at least for next season in order to keep their sanctioning.

I think San Antonio is going to be just fine. Hartman will get a smaller stadium ready to go with private fubds. He's been a philanthropist for a long time, and he's made a lot of rich friends over the years. If he's selling his solicitation for backing as a catalyst to fund the Wonderland Park at the end of the day, plenty of people will help him, even if they don't give a rat's gassy arse about D2 soccer. And honestly, that's fine by me. Kudos to Mr. Hartman for bringing the NASL to SA, no matter his true motives. Once there is a stadium and the team hits the field, the Crocketeers will take it from there and hopefully help build the fanbase, thereby helping the build the Scorpions into a solid NASL organization. The one thing that Mr. Hartman does need to make sure of is that he's got a "soccer guy" in charge of that end of things.

2. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Chattanooga FC seem to be the Div IV darlings at the moment, but having seen the rise and fall of the Calgary Storm/Mustangs, I have some misgivings. That being said, I could see them forming a rivalry with Atlanta, and they're not too far from Carolina, either. Perhaps if the Edmonton Aviators had arrived a year or two earlier, they (Aviators/Storm) could have formed a rivalry and they'd still be around today.

I think the NASL should consider potential geographical rivalries with their expansion targets. I'd think a Milwaukee team would be good for Minnesota as a rival. A Calgary team would be good to have for FC Edmonton, with Spokane being the best option for a US-based rival. San Antonio could probably do with some rivals, too bad the Aztex aren't around any more. Oklahoma City or Tulsa could be good rivals for SA. Perhaps the New Orleans Jesters of the PDL could be persuaded to make the jump up?

Out west is where I'd most favor jumping up existing teams/orginizations from lower levels to serve as anchors for expansion in the region. SD Flash and Hollywood United Hitmen (still part-owned by LaPaglia, according to Wikipedia) from the NPSL and the Fresno Fuego from the PDL are possibilities. Any or all of those would serve as nice anchors for new teams in Sacramento, Las Vegas, or Phoenix/Tucson.

In the Midwest, I'd like to see a Detroit team, either the Silverdome group or the MPDL's Michigan Bucks ar e possibilites. The former's MLS aspirations may deter them from Div II, even as a staging ground for an MLS bid, and the latter may be content with Div. IV, given their affiliation with the Crew. Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Cincinnatti are all Midwest markets that once had Div II teams and are now without a pro team. Pittsburgh's a long shot in my mind, I don't think the Riverhounds are interested in a return to Div II and I don't think the market could support two pro teams.

3. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    S&M, I didn't mean to imply that all of those situations need to be resolved before next season. I agree with you that progress is all that is needed. If that means one of the teams has a new majority investor then great! Also didn't mean to imply that NSC MN was owned by Traffic (I know they aren't) - although I would like to see a new local investor there soon for the sake of all MN soccer fans.

Green & Blue, I agree completely about finding geographically smart expansion which is why I went with Chattanooga FC from the NPSL as the best target. But again, it's all speculation. Maybe the ownership is exactly where they want to be in Division IV?

I think there are some PDL teams that might make sense from a geographic sense, but worry that their ownership are content with their current league. I don't fault them for that if they are happy where they are - it's not like funding a soccer team is a money making business!

4. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  5. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No. 1: Las Vegas, Nev.
    2010 population: 2 million 2000 population: 1.4 million. Change:41.8%

No. 2: Raleigh, N.C.
    2010 population: 1.1 million 2000 population: 790,000 Change: 41.8%

No. 3: Austin, Texas.
    2010 population: 1.7 million 2000 population: 1. 2 million Change: 37.3%

6. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No. 4: Charlotte, N.C.
    2010 population: 1.8 million 2000 population: 1.3 million Change: 32.1%

No. 5: Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif.
    2010 population: 4.2 million 2000 population: 3.3 million Change: 29.8%

No. 6: Orlando, Fla.
    2010 population: 2.1 million 2000 population: 1.6 million Change: 29.8%

No. 7: Phoenix, Ariz.
    2010 population: 4.2 million 2000 population: 3.3 million Change: 28.9%

No. 8: Houston, Texas.
    2010 population: 5.9 million 2000 population: 4.7 million Change: 26.1%

No. 9: San Antonio, Texas
    2010 population: 2.1 million 2000 population: 1.7 million Change: 25.2%

No. 10: Atlanta, Ga.
    2010 population: 5.3 million 2000 population: 4.2 million Change: 24%

7. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chattanooga FC is run by an ownership committee, a few of which are "well off." However, there's a debate going on about what the club wants to be. Rumor has it that they've been contacted by higher leagues about moving up and by higher-up teams about possibly becoming a farm squad - both of which are appealing to some. The other camp seems content to stay at the 4th tier, growing as the soccer pyramid grows. From what I gather, the NPSL asks relatively paltry dues, which with CFC's huge attendance and sizable sponsorship dollars, allows them to virtually grantee profitability.

8. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chattanooga has no real incentive to move up, they're getting huge crowds and have a low cost league. They're a great team because they are run the right way. They aren't rushing anything. I've got a lot of respect for them.

Cleveland could be an option down the road. We're starting back up in the NPSL next year and we're starting up a supporters group. I know the goal is to grow the team and move it up. But the growing is going to be done very slowly. It's not going to be the City Stars again.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Des Moines number 2 ?

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my impression, right now.

But I do think they would move up if it makes financial sense for the team.

11. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks El Conductor. I was hoping someone closer to Chattanooga would respond. As a fan of the team - are they as well run as they appear from a distance?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Maza1987's list, I made some comments. Those open to expansion would be the bolded ones.

*??? No. 1: Las Vegas, Nev.
    *NASL No. 2: Raleigh, N.C.
    *burned by USL, No. 3: Austin, Texas.
    *USL No. 4: Charlotte, N.C.
    *??? No. 5: Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif.
    *USL No. 6: Orlando, Fla.
    *??? No. 7: Phoenix, Ariz.
    *MLS No. 8: Houston, Texas.
    *NASL? No. 9: San Antonio, Texas
    *NASL No. 10: Atlanta, Ga.

13. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The ownership is made up up mostly self-made entrepreneurs (with a few older-money family ties), so they know how to organize, plan, and execute. But CFC is by no means their day jobs, so there's certainly a limited amount of time/ effort they can devote to the club.

In my opinion, the response from the area has made it so much easier to make the extra effort to do things right. I imagine it's a lot more rewarding spending hours arranging for a Mexican premiere club to send their reserve squad up to Chattanooga, when you know thousands of locals will take notice, value the effort, and attend the match. At the end of the day, most of the work a sub-MLS club does is performed by volunteers. It sure makes a difference when those volunteers know thousands of people are going to appreciate their hard work.

14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerPrime, do you think any of these markets are realistic for NASL? I think Austin would be great and has shown it will support soccer but I don't know about #5 Riverside. I also think that Phoenix would be that market where MSL might come knocking one day.

Good to know some more about this club. So as a supporter, are you hoping that the club moves up to a higher division some day?

15. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCSUltra, who's behind the NPSL club in Cleveland? I'm hoping they play at decent facility. I tried watching the Stars games but the turf football field with all those lines made it impossible - especially when broadcast on TV.

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only know who one of the guys involved with the team is, and it's someone who worked for the City Stars.

The team will supposedly play at Krenzler Field, a soccer-only facility at Cleveland State. It's where they City Stars played in USL-2.

17. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks CCSUltra! Krenzler Field is a much better option. Look forward to another option for quality soccer in Ohio.

18. RJpooch

RJpooch Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cleveland NPSL team is AFC Cleveland, the Chairman/Owner is Terry Lawriw.

No confirmation on the home field as of yet.

19. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going back and reviewing the new USSF Div. II standards, I see that NASL must expand to get and maintain full sanctioning--2 more teams starting no later than 2013, and another 2 starting later than 2016. Also, national expansion is required too, NASL must have US-based teams in 3 timezones by 2016. Population of the market is also a consideration as 75% of the teams must be located in metropolitan areas of 750k or more--for reference El Paso, TX is the smallest US metropolitan area with a 750k+ population. And of course, there's the 75% US-based policy

Detroit
    Metro. Pop.: 4.403 Mil
    Time Zone: Eastern
    US Based: Yes

Phoenix
    Metro. Pop.: 4.364 Mil
    Time Zone: Mountain

San Diego
    Metro. Pop.: 3.054 Mil
    Time Zone: Pacific

St. Louis
    Metro. Pop.: 2.829 Mil
    Time Zone: Central

Baltimore
    Metro. Pop.: 2.691 Mil

Cincinnati
    Metro. Pop.: 2.172 Mil

Sacramento
    Metro. Pop.: 2.127 Mil

Cleveland
    Metro. Pop.: 2.091 Mil

Las Vegas
    Metro. Pop.: 1.903 Mil

Indianapolis
    Metro. Pop.: 1.774 Mil

Austin
    Metro. Pop.: 1.705 Mil

Virginia Beach
    Metro. Pop.: 1.674 Mil

Nashville
    Metro. Pop.: 1.582 Mil

Milwaukee
    Metro. Pop.: 1.560 Mil

Jacksonville
    Metro. Pop.: 1.328 Mil

Memphis
    Metro. Pop.: 1.305 Mil

Louisville
    Metro. Pop.: 1.259 Mil

Oklahoma City
    Metro. Pop.: 1.227 Mil

Hartford
    Metro. Pop.: 1.196 Mil

New Orleans
    Metro. Pop.: 1.190 Mil

Ottawa
    Metro. Pop.: 1.131 Mil
    US Based: No

Birmingham
    Metro. Pop.: 1.131 Mil

Buffalo
    Metro. Pop.: 1.124 Mil

Calgary
    Metro. Pop.: 1.079 Mil
    US Based: No

Tucson
    Metro. Pop.: 1.020 Mil

20. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tulsa
    Metro. Pop.: 929k

Fresno
    Metro. Pop.: 915k

Honolulu
    Metro. Pop.: 908k
    Time Zone: Hawaiian

Albuquerque
    Metro. Pop.: 858k

Albany
    Metro. Pop.: 858k

Omaha
    Metro. Pop.: 850k

Allentown/Lehigh Valley
    Metro. Pop.: 816k

Bakersfield
    Metro. Pop.: 807k

Baton Rouge
    Metro. Pop.: 787k

Grand Rapids
    Metro. Pop.: 778k

El Paso
    Metro. Pop.: 751k

;

21. klarthailerion

Dec 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jesters have talked locally about moving up before (this was before the USL/TOA split, though), but I'm not sold that they'd really do it with the current ownership group. They do some things right, but some things wrong.

CONS
    - Stadium. They currently play in Pan American Stadium, which seats 5,000. They could play at Tad Gormley Stadium, which is seats 26,500. Both facilities are city-owned and located in City Park (central location), both are multi-purpose (both football, Tad Gormley also track and field) and artificial turf, both lack suites and would need improvements to locker rooms and concession areas.

- Ownership. I'm not sure that the current ownership group meets the USSF D-2 requirements. There are other potential local investors, but the interest probably isn't there at the current time as some of those who might are currently looking to form a coalition of local interests to buy the NBA Hornets from the league and keep them here. Also, the last time we had a D-2 team, the ownership group of the local AAA baseball team bought them from the original group and then folded them after two seasons.

- Marketing. The current ownership group has done a decent job of marketing locally, but they are doing a poor job of maintaining those efforts. The team has done billboards, radio, TV, and print ads, social media, and a presence at youth tournaments and the like. But they go silent in the offseason and don't seem to make any effort to build a season ticket base or maintain their social media presence. They could build some momentum with some more effort in this area, but they're not currently doing this.

PROS
    - Fanbase. We've averaged over 1,000 fans per game for the past two seasons with a PDL squad even with the front office shortcomings. The Gamblers / Storm did okay back in the 90s, averaging somewhere between 4,000 - 7,000 with many of the same issues that the current ownership of the Jesters have. The people here love sports in general, and there's a gap between the end of the NBA season and the start of the NFL season that a summer soccer league would do well to fill (the AAA Zephyrs would be the direct competition, and the AFL Voodoo at the beginning of the season as well).

- Rivalries. If the Jesters are going to move up, the NASL as it is currently comprised is where they should be. The carry-over of rivalries from the NFL Saints could very easily be capitalized upon, as the majority of fans here are also Saints fans. Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta are all in the NFC South with the Saints. San Antonio tried to lure the team away after Katrina, so there's no love lost there. It's too bad that St. Louis folded, as they were another NFL rivalry for several years. The two downsides here are that if the Jesters move up then they lose the local rivalry with Baton Rouge, and if Tampa and/or Atlanta get MLS franchises then those rivalries are gone.

22. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking a look at some candidates for teams moving up:

Victoria Highlanders
    Pros
    -PDL-Pro, has shown interest in past in moving up to D3
    -One of three Canadian groups reported to have been in talks with the NASL
    -Strong PDL attendance (Top 5 in PDL 2009 & 2010)
    Cons
    -Current stadium only seats 1,600-2,000
    -Metro population 330k, even adding in Nanaimo and other nearby Vancouver Island communities, the market would still be well short of the 750k benchmark
    -Nearby MLS team (Vancouver) likely to draw away fans.
    -Canadian, would require pairing with American expansion or USSF exemption
    Prognosis
    Somewhat of a darkhorse candidate, right now I'd bet against it. Could become a more attractive candidate in a year or two.

Kitsap Pumas
    Pros
    -PDL-Pro, has shown interest in past in moving up to D3
    -Current stadium seats 5,000
    Cons
    -Said stadium is a HS stadium (Even if it is my old HS, can't figure USSF would be too keen on a HS Stadium for a Div. II team!)
    -Metro population for Bremerton/Kitsap County is only about 250k
    -Nearby MLS team (Seattle) likely to draw away fans
    Prognosis
    I don't see this happening. With the Sounders just across the water, Div. III is really the highest I can see Kitsap going.

Fresno Fuego
    Pros
    -Previously had been a candidate to move up to USL-1
    -Current stadium seats 12,500
    -Top 5 PDL attendance 2006-2010
    -Metro population is 1.107 million
    Cons
    -Ownership group might not meet Div II requirements
    -Turned down previous "promotion" due small number of Western USL-1 teams and none in CA
    Prognosis
    This is my favorite candidate. They would seem to be the easiest to move up. Although they may be hesitant to move without other western teams, if I was the NASL, I'd start courting them now as the corner stone of SW expansion.

Hollywood United Hitmen
    Pros
    -Formerly PDL-Pro, had been included in a group that could form a USL-2 Western Confrence
    -Moved to NPSL for 2011 after formation of LA Blues blocked their path for "promotion" within USL.
    -Co-Owner Anthony LaPaglia is also part owner of Sydney FC of the Australian A-League.
    -Metro Population....It's Los Angeles. I don't even have to look up the number. It's big enough. :)
    Cons
    -Current stadium is a HS stadium seating 4,000
    -PDL attendance not impressive, although the fact that there were 5 other PDL teams in the greater LA area may have played a factor.
    -2 MLS teams in nearby Carson might hurt attendance for a Div. II team in Pacific Palisades.
    Prognosis
    The Hitmen were original formed as a collaboration between the Hollywood United and Pali Blues orginizations. In a sense, Pali Blues screwed over Hollywood United by forming the LA Blues, thus blocking the Hitmen's path for promotional advancement within the USL. If Hollywood United still has professional aspirations, the NASL would appear to be their only option. If I were the NASL, I'd start courting them, especially if Chivas USA moves out of Carson.

San Diego Flash
    Pros
    -The Revival of the SD Flash started in 2008 with entry into USL-1.
    -Metro Population: 3.095 million
    -Ownership group is headed by Clenton A. Alexander and includes Warren Barton and Eric Wynalda.
    Cons
    -Was in talks with both USL and NASL, but went NPSL due to dissatisfaction with either league (USL/NASL) had to offer.
    -Currently plays in a HS stadium
    Prognosis
    With a suitable stadium, they would be an ideal Candidate. The death of the Flash as a fully professional team may have come during the Infinite Crisis on Multiple D2 Leagues, but SD Soccer Partners may reconsider if the NASL can prove they're serious about Western expansion. I'd pursue them, and if NASL can get Fresno and/or Hollywood, San Diego may be the next in the Domino Theory of NASL West Coast Expansion.

Phoenix Monsoon
    Pros
    -Rumored to have been in contact with the NASL in the past
    -Rumored as of July 2010 to be in contact with a couple of teams in California about forming a SW pro soccer conference that would play an exhibition schedule pending admission into either USL or NASL.
    -Metro population 4.193 million
    Cons
    -Owner Stuart Starky may not meet USSF "primary owner" wealth requirements, and has something of a reputation already for talking big and not producing very much in the way of results.
    -Targeting 2012 NPSL entry to play at a yet-to-be built stadium at an old greyhound race track near the PHX airport. Also planning to play indoors with the PASL starting with the 2011-2012 season at an indoor facility on the same property.
    Prognosis
    Murky. Starky's certainly talked a good game, but has yet to produce results. The PASL season starts in November, so as we get closer to the fall, we'll have a better idea of whether or not the Monsoon are for real. Last summer's rumor of a Southwestern exhibition circuit appears now to be just that, a rumor, especially given the Monsoon's planned entry in to the NPSL for 2012. However, I have to admit it'd be quite intriguing if there were actually something to that and the other owners were just being wiser than Starky about not talking until they've got something to show. I don't think the NASL should pin their hopes on Starky if they have any designs on expanding into Phoenix, but given the size of the market, it might behoove them to keep tabs on Starky and the Phoenix Monsoon.

Arizona Sahuaros
    Pros
    -Plans for a 9,500 seat Soccer Specific Stadium
    -Played professionally in Div. III from 1997-2002
    -Phoenix (see above for Metro Population)
    Cons
    -May not have sufficient ownership group for Div. II
    -May be satisfied with USASA/NPSL level
    Prognosis
    Not a lot to go on here, but they could be the better option for NASL expansion into Phoenix, especially if they can get that SSS built. (One would have to think that 9,500 seats would be way too much for an NPSL team!) Worth keeping an eye on.

FC Tucson
    Pros
    -Hosted MLS Desert Cup this March at Hi Corbett Field (9,500 seat capacity)
    -Metro Population 980k
    Cons
    -Not much information available about them beyond the MLS Desert Cup.
    Prognosis
    FC Tucson seem to be highly regarded, thanks to the success of the MLS Desert Cup. Hi Corbett Field appears to be a suitable venue for a Div. II soccer team, and is temporarily without a tenant, interestingly enough, thanks in part to MLS. (Timbers entry into MLS led to the sale of the Portland Beavers, who are now playing across town from Hi Corbett as the Tucson Padres while a minor league ball park is being built in Escondido, CA. While the AAA Padres are playing in Tucson, the independent Tucson Toros, Hi Corbett's regular tenant, are on hiatus.) If neither the Monsoon or Sahauros pan out, FC Tucson may be NASL's best bet for AZ expansion.

West Texas United Sockers
    Pros
    -Sometimes referred to as being PDL-Pro
    -Stadium capacity is 18,000
    -2nd in PDL attendance 2009 & 2010
    Cons
    -Midland-Odessa Metro Population is only 267k
    -Located in the Central Time Zone
    Prognosis
    Market likely too small for Div. II

Rio Grande Valley Bravos/Grandes
    Pros
    -RGV Bravos were sometimes refered to as being PDL-Pro
    -RGV Bravos are based out of Brownsville, TX (Metro Population 417k)
    -RGV Grandes are based out of McAllen, TX (Metro Population 569k)
    -RGV Bravos were 6th in PDL attendance in 2009
    Cons
    -RGV Bravos attendance for 2010 dropped to the hundreds
    -RGV Bravos were kicked out of the PDL because of their owner failed to meet the financial reequirements after the 2010 season. They have dropped down to Div V and play in the Southern Premier Soccer Leagues the RGV Ocelots.
    -RGV Grandes will start their first PDL season in 2011.
    Prognosis
    Nether team appears to be NASL material at this time, but with only 60 miles seperating the two metropolitan areas, the larger Rio Grande Valley area may be a potential area for expansion a few years down the road.

Laredo Heat
    Pros
    -Sometimes listed among the PDL-Pro teams
    -Attendance consistantly in the 900s over the last three years, breakin into the thousands in 2009, putting them among the top in the PDL
    -Only about 150 miles from San Antonio
    -Metro population 718k
    Cons
    -Current stadium seats 4,000
    Prognosis
    Laredo for NASL, who would have thunk? Laredo's metro population is just a bit under the 750k mark, but will probably get there in the next 5-10 years. Their stadium's a little bit under the 5k capacity requirement, but could possibly be brought up to standard with the addition of some bleachers. If the owner has any professional aspirations and mets the Div. II ownership requirements, the could make a nice additon as rivals for San Antonio. The NASL should definitely get in touch, if they haven't already.

Chivas El Paso Patriots
    Pros
    -Formerly Div. II 1997-2003
    -Current stadium is 3,000 seat SSS
    -In Mountain Time Zone, so would help meet the 3 Time Zone requirement
    -Metro population 800k
    Cons
    -No indication of desire to return to professional level
    Prognosis
    Return of the Patriots seems unlikely at the moment, but El Paso is a decent sized market, and could serve as sort of back-door way of meeting the USSF's 3 time zone requirement.

New Orleans Jesters
    Pros
    -Has been mentioned as being PDL-Pro in the past & team has looked at moving up in the past
    -Current stadium meets 5,000 seat minimum
    -Metro population 1.236 million
    -Top 10 in PDL attendance 2009 & 2010
    -tradition NFL rivalries with teams from current NASL cities could carry over into NASL rivalries.
    Cons
    -Ownership might not be ready for prime time.
    -Stadium may need renovations to provide better amenities.
    Prognosis
    Good sized market & good potential for rivalries make New Orleans worth looking into. This could be a good addition to make if the NASL needs US markets to offset the addition of a Canadian market because of the 75% US-based requirement.

Des Moines Menace
    Pros
    -Rumored for a potential move up circa 2005.
    -PDL attendance leaders pretty much since 1999, with average attendance over 3,500 since 2001
    -Currently play in 10,000 seat stadium
    -Metro population 563k
    -Potential rivalry with NSC Minnesota
    Cons
    -Team may no longer be interested in moving up
    -Current stadium is a HS stadium, may need new/own venue if Div. II
    Prognosis
    Don't expect this to happen any time soon, but it may be worth the NASL's while to touch base with the Menace. The soccer landscape in the US has changed a lot since 2005. Perhaps Des Moines would have a better shot at getting their own SSS in today's landscape?

Chattanooga FC
    Pros
    -Current stadium seats 20,000+
    -In their first two seasons they have rewritten the NPSL attendance record books
    -Has been courted by both USL and NASL.
    -Potential rival for Atlanta Silverbacks
    -Metro population 518k
    Cons
    -Ownership seems content with Div. IV for the time being.
    Prognosis
    Probably too early at this point, but if they keep drawing these numbers, there may be a groundswell for "promotion" in a few years.

Recommendation
    If the NASL is interested in adding teams from Div. IV as a means of expansion, they should consider Fresno, Hollywood United, and SD Flash. Adding at least two of these three teams would likely be the easiest way to expand into a third time zone, and would also likely be the easiest way to attract new teams in Western markets like Sacramento and Las Vegas. Getting all three would help offset the addition of Ottawa or Hamilton. In addition, Laredo, Des Moines, and New Orleans may be a good way to introduce rivals for Minnesota and San Antonio.

Thanks to klarthailerion for insights on the NO Jesters and to El Conductor for insights on Chattanooga FC.

23. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some unconventional expansion prospects:

Eugene, OR
    There's an effort under way to preserve/renevate Eugene's historic Civic Stadium into a 6,500 seat multi-use stadium that could host a professional soccer team. Eugene's metro population is only about 338k, so it may be too small for NASL.

Salinas, CA
    The Salinas Sports complex seats about 17,000 and once was the home of the California Jaguars of the USL A-League. Salinas might also be too small a market with a metro population of 410k.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Based on what happened with the Bravos, I'd be pessimistic about the Rio Grande Valley area: that pitch may be well and truly queered.

The Bravos started in MacAllen/Pharr in 2009. Averaged 1,315 per game during the 2009 season, 6th in PDL.

Had their own Big Soccer thread
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...860587&page=15

In 2010, they changed owner and changed stadium to Brownsville.

The change of stadium involved a change of city, county and MSA.

Changed coach from long-time MacAllen area resident, Ismael Moreira Braga (ex Santos, Botofago, Flamengo and Brazil MNT), to a high school coach in Bownsville (ex-pro - in Mexican DIII).

Persuaded a 17-year old local kid with prospects to sign semi-pro. Kid tore knee or ankle ligaments badly enough to end pro prospects. College eligibility also shot.

Changed ownership to some guy with a Thai mixed martial arts school. In keeping with the change theme, he'd changed his name several years ago and now goes by Kru Kayan Sitsanthaparn.

Changed leagues to the SPSL.

Changed their name to RGV Ocelots FC.

Sad.

25. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Austin, Ottawa, Riverside, Sac-town, San Diego...