Who's next in the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who's next?

What I understand the future looks to be:

Return of AC St. Louis and CP Baltimore (maybe to forced to move if DC United moves here, prehaps to Virginia.)

Expansion

1) San Antonio (already annouced)
    2) Ottawa (waiting for offical D-2 certification for NASL before annoucement)
    3) Jacksonville
    4) Quebec
    5) Calgary

2. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rochester doesn't play in LA this year and the three away games against the International division are rolled up into one road trip to reduce costs.

http://rhinossoccer.com/matches.php

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Richmond Kickers
    Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Wilmington Hammerheads
    Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Dayton Dutch Lions
    Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Harrisburg City Islanders
    Mon May 30, 2011 3:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ FC New York
    Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Barracuda FC
    Sun Jun 5, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Barracuda FC
    Tue Jun 7, 2011 8:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ River Plate Puerto Rico
    Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Orlando City
    Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Charlotte Eagles
    Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm Rochester Rhinos @ Charleston Battery

3. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vancouver talked about having a team in the NASL after their move to MLS. But, that has yet to happen.

It will be interesting to see if Saputo remains committed to the NASL after this season or not.

4. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A group in Syracuse hasn't tried to get a team going in like 5 years.

The agreement with the SkyChiefs was reached in 2006. But, the group walked away from the idea in 2007 after the Rhinos wouldn't just give them the USL rights for free.

I haven't heard of much movement on pro outdoor soccer in Syracuse since then.

5. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

The North American Soccer League(NASL) is back as the USA's Division 2 league.
    They already have teams in a lot of the "historic cities" that represented in the original NASL from 1968 - 1984
    NASL Currently: Atlanta, Edmonton, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Minnesota
    (Cities that represented in original NASL that are in MLS now: Kansas City, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, San Jose, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington)

The team that had the most championships in the original NASL 1968 - 1984 was the New York Cosmos (1972, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982).
    With all the hype surrounding the "revival" of the New York Cosmos, it would only be natural for them to bring back the most popular and successful team in not only NASL history, but in USA soccer history. (DC United has earned 4 MLS Championships).

The question is, if New York Cosmos REVIVE, will they go directly to MLS? or will they start in NASL?

In my personal opinion NEW YORK COSMOS should be the next NASL expansion team in 2013, it's almost a natural evolution, and progression.

The team with second most NASL championship wins from 1968 - 1984 is the Chicago Sting (1982, 1984). However, there is already a Chicago team in MLS. Could there be another Chicago area team? are there enough supporters and interest to support a Chicago NASL team? Most likely not.

What should the criteria for the next NASL expansion team be? Most Historic championships? Highest Historic attendance?(In those cases it would again, naturally be New York Cosmos), should it be a brand new market? or other? Maybe the most successful and popular USL team?

6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't that Edmonton? I thought Vancouver owned or was going to own Edmonton and use them as a farm team? (Am I way behind the NASL curve?)

I wouldn't think so, once his goal of reaching MLS is accomplished.

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That's all great stuff Dynamite. But really it's this simple - the next NASL expansion team should be the city with an owner/investor group that meets USSF D2 standards, and is COMMITTED to pro soccer in their community for the long haul. That is a simple blueprint, but it's the one that will keep the NASL in business long term. Personally, and it's just a soccer fan's opinion, but I don't think anyone in the Cosmos group is interested in the NASL. I think they are running on MLS or bust. Would be awesome if they do make it into MLS in 2013 though, and the Strikers met up with them in a USOC match!

8. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There was talk that they would be linked. But, that didn't materialize from what I know and FC Edmonton is their own club.

9. DKDynamite

DKDynamite New Member

May 16, 2010
    N of WPB
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

What other city/cities has the "SIMPLE BLUPRINT" you talk about?
    "...with an owner/investor group that meets USSF D2 standards, and is COMMITTED to pro soccer in their community for the long haul."
    I think there might be a few that can meet the D2 standards, but who is really COMMITTED?
    Many of the teams that were in NASL/USL/USSF D2 last year either went to MLS (has the commitment and other qualities you so speak of) or went back down to D3 or just isn't "fielding a team" this year (DOESN'T have the commitment and/or doesn't meet the OTHER criteria).
    And face it, this is the United States of America FOOTBALL, BASEBALL BASKETBALL and maybe HOCKEY dominate along with NASCAR, money talks and bullshit walks. Owners/investors want return on their COMMITTMENT/GAMBLE. They have a much higher rate of return on those sports immediatly, not so with soccer in America (that is really really long term).
    SOCCER still has a few more generations to go before it can even think about having the fanbase and support of even the lesser sports that are the most popular in USA. I agree, it is gaining popularity quickly. It's a matter of starting from the children and building a fanbase that way, the "grassroots" if you will. " I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way..."
    Yes, I agree with you on the Cosmos not wanting anything to do with NASL, who would? COMMITTED owners and investors would definately not want that. That goes to the whole PRO/REL argument, we the soccer fans that actually understand it would love it. But these "COMMITTED owners/investors" would hate it! simple. unfortunate. reality.
    I think it is a good thing that TRAFFIC "OWNS/SUPPORTS" many of the teams in D2, if they didn't I doubt there would even be a D2 league this year (even with TRAFFIC there almost WASN't a D2 this year)
    Seems like TRAFFIC is the only COMMITTED owner/investor for D2. (wow, I can't believe I just said that about TRAFFIC).And how committed and stable is TRAFFIC in USA?
    Perhaps if there are other COMMITTED investor/owners like TRAFFIC in Europe that would be interested in GAMBLING in USA soccer?....

10. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I said the blueprint was simple. I didn't say finding the right owners/investors to execute it was. ;)

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you. What they need to expand is pretty clear cut. They need ownership groups that meet the new D2 standards. Becasue I think the chances of getting any more exceptions or waivers for that is pretty slim. Plus they are looking to grow a stable league, so not in their best issues to except an questionable ownership group. Like you said it's the excution that's the hard part.

1. Owner worth 20+ mil
    2. stadium
    3. budget / funds to support national travel

12. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

No kidding? With a name like "Monolith," I'd expect them to easily adapt to the constant fluctuations and changing landscapes of D2 soccer in the US. Go figure.

Maybe Syracuse will get lucky and a company with a name like "Inert Obelisk" or "Static Slab" will step in.

13. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I haven't heard anything with regards to Jacksonville or Calgary, would you mind sharing what info you have on them?

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess they were planning to start in 2001.

15. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

as someone from Rhode Island id love to see this happen, i mean i like like 10 minutes south of providence and foxboro is maybe 30 to 40 minutes away for me.

bringing a team here would be great but at the same time to be completely fair it might be a little too close to foxboro. i hate to say it but a team in connecticut MIGHT do better.

I would love to have a team here though

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

Those sound like names for indie bands. :D

17. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

More like metal bands.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Well, we've got the Scorpions already

19. Hands

Hands Member

May 5, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Buh - DUM - bump

Hey everyone, give it up for Brent. He'll be here all week. Drive home safe and remember to tip your waitress.

20. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Let's ask for the Indianapolis Iron Maidens! ;)

21. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This thread seems to have hit the floor with a thud. Let's revive it a bit here, shall we? Now that Davidson has moved away from the Strikers and can more effectively focus on the league matters, I'm sure that along with marketing the league and the current teams, and working on the ownership situations in Atlanta and Carolina, expansion is a necessary topic to look at as well. The new USSF standards require them to get expansion going pretty, so he can't just push it to the side completely.

Obviously getting the league sanctioned and running for 2011 was the priority. But now that we're just a few weeks away from kickoff, I'd love to start hearing whispers again on who the mystery 2013 franchise Davidson spoke about awhile back actually is. Most speculation to date has been directed at Ottawa or Hamilton I think. But that would mean three more US cities would have to join the roster at the same time as a Canadian one. Can Baltimore really find a way to rise from the ashes? Given another year of time, will someone step up in St. Louis? How about Austin? My heart goes out to them the most. Those fans were building their base there, it seemed to be headed in the right direction. Is there anyone else who could jump in there? Are there any USL Pro teams that would be successful enough to see the NASL as a logical next step in another year or two? Lots of good questions. Let's start this thread up again because we need more to talk about while we wait for the season to start! LOL

22. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this has been put to rest already, but is there a chance the Cosmos could get up and running in NASL? If they are assured of going to MLS, then it would make sense to get a year or two under their belts playing NASL so they don't come in to MLS starting from scratch, like Philly did. They'd come into MLS more like the Timbers are doing.

I'd also love to see Charleston play in NASL and maybe Rochester. But I don't think it's gonna happen too soon.

23. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't have any personal knowledge of the situation, but based on what they've been doing, I dount the Cosmos are real interested in NASL, even just for a year or two. And honestly, I don't think NASL should be interested in them either if they already knew they were heading into MLS. Montreal is different since they were already part of the league.

Charleston seems happy in D3. If USL cannot get their shite together though and actually get the league to be the "regional model" they sold it as, who knows if that would change. And Rochester, as often as Clark has flipped back and forth, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him trying to get back into NASL in a year or two if the league gets a solid foundation in place.

24. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

I would too, but I doubt it will work. Foxborough is 20 mins up the road for me and the RI Stingrays (PDL)folded last year. Most Rhode Islanders might as well be in Greater Boston as far as the sports affiliation goes.

I'd love to see it but I sure as heck wouldn't invest in it.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if the guys running Des Moines Menace or the Chattonooga FC are interested in going pro now? I wonder if there is some big money in the NASL already (Traffic?) that are interested in swooping where these successful NPSL or PDL teams are and taking over.

Just a thought.