Who's next in the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on an unrelated note, your avatar is amazing.

SoccerPrime and adoptedsooner repped this.
  2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this may happen soon. Him and the Deacon where talking about the "soccer war" starting soon earlier. :rolleyes:

3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks. Grimlock is one of my favorite G1 characters. Hoping the live action movie turns out okay.

4. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dang it. He said "war" not "revolution". Hate when I get it wrong making fun of somebody. I blame Ted. I get dumber every time I come across one of his rants. I know I shouldn't read it, but its like passing a knarly accident scene and not checking it out.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Canada may offer solutions. Hamilton already is set for a synergy model with the TiCAts and THF.
    In Calgary there has been nothing officially announced but the Flames LLP now own the CFL Stamps, as well as WHL, and NLL franchises and looking for a new stadium and arena complex for the future having a CFL and NASL tenant in place for the stadium and NHL, WHL, and NLL for the arena would make sense

JMO of course

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides Philadelphia - which, I would add parenthetically, is kind of a desirable market - how many times has an owner actually come out of the woodwork to start a team because of a Twitter campaign?

The guys who saved the Wizards worked to find an owner for an existing team. The people who give themselves military-themed names and think they are the ones responsible for some of the teams that currently exist overstate their own importance.

As it pertains specifically to San Francisco, outside of Peterson mentioning their market (as he does to a lot of people, apparently) and tweeting skyline photos, there doesn't really seem to be this groundswell - just like the whole pro/rel thing, where the proles overstate the true depth of their "following."

The other point would be this: tweeting doesn't do it. If you're going to go do it, do it. What passes for effort these days is tweeting and throwing up a blogspot site.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In both those cases, I think the existence of motivated/organized fans helped to solidify the interest of parties who were already interested in investing in the league more than identifying and bringing in new names to the conversation.

The backbone of OnGoal is some venture capitalists who had worked on a stadium plan with commercial development with the NSCAA and Lamar Hunt prior to Hunt putting the team up for sale. Their initial interest in buying the team came because they were already sold on the larger development. Having to pick up the cost of the team and stadium was just part of doing business to get the larger project done. Then they had to go and get hooked on soccer. But they were already interested. That said, I'm not entirely sure where the big money (the two Cerner guys) came in. It's possible that HASF had something to do with that, I'm not sure, and I don't feel like asking some friends who could answer that for me.

8. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Indy did it. But that wasn't limited to facebook posting and twitter. We went out to bars and had events and created an actual community that was able to be measured in numbers etc. I remember we searched for owners as well but that didn't do much. Honestly it takes actually getting into a community and the luck of having an owner interested in the endeavor.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And please let us not discount that.

Because all the other shit doesn't matter without that.

adoptedsooner repped this.
  10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A solid grassroots effort may help a prospective owner make the decision to invest in the smaller markets, but as said above, those prospective owners aren't in the investment decision making process "because" of the grassroots effort.

In a market such as SF, the presence or absence of a supporter group or twitter/facebook/blog following is going to make a "zilch" impact on the decision to enter that market.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    but I don't want our work discounted either. The team gives us credit. But we are realistic and don't say it was 100% us. we sure did help convince though

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No only once for two years, strangely enough the last time someone in SF tried their luck with a D2 soccer team at the same stadium NASL is looking at now, which then promptly failed. But what does that have to do with anything?

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Wasn't there the team from the Original NASL with George Best?

14. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't know if that counts because the league they were in folded and then the club had to try its luck as a smaller-profile semipro team.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different franchise, same name. But if you want to count the legacy Quakes then sure, there were two gaps. But as Genius pointed out the legacy Quakes ended with the demise of their league along with every other team in said league.

16. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True words from both guys. Here in OKC, I've been following efforts to place a D2/D3 team for about the last seven years. No serious local owner emerged until last summer. That's why nothing took root until then. Unfortunately, money makes the world go round.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll point out here that the Sons of Ben were started right here on BigSoccer. By various knucklehead posters like you and me.

ManuSooner repped this.
  18. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Listen I don't mean to piss you off, its just i think its a wait and see game and we shouldn't write off anything just yet. There just seems to be too much of this I'm all for this league and despise anyone who is not directly connect to it. I watch MLS and NASL. I like the fact that MLS has built a foundation, but I'm not a fan of the single entity. I like the fact that NASL is a free market league, I don't like the fact that the league has a shoe string front office. Their are a lot of frustrating things about American Soccer and every draws a line and says my way is right and yours wrong and don't want to have a decent debate. I pretty much got to the point where i just don't care about petty arguments we all make. Part of me just wants say screw it all ill just watch the other leagues until all the arguing over who's way is right and who is wrong is over. But then again part of me want to keep an eye on my team MLS team and my NASL team. So I'm done with the arguing and wish everybody luck and hopefully one day we can all find an agreement.

PS we are all guilty of being divided over petty little things.

19. warrior14

warrior14 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit City FC would be a good option. I know everybody will say bad things about Detroit but the city loves sports and people from cities around Detroit and Windsor (Canada). The team has a strong fan base, sells out every game but needs a owner that will provide the money to try and find a location in Downtown Detroit for a stadium. Overall Detroit is a good market for the NASL to expand to

Alistair Fannell repped this.
  20. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I've thought about Detroit but with a fan base that already has four major professional teams to root for its hard for a minor league team to make a dent. Detroit City FC pulls in great support for the league they're in, not sure if it'd translate to a bigger league however. I feel the spot in Michigan that an NASL team would thrive would be Grand Rapids. They have a fairly big metropolitan area and the minor league baseball team is supported fairly well so the "major" league stigma doesn't seem to stick there. Just my two cents

21. warrior14

warrior14 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought about Grand Rapids that would be a good place. How about Ann Arbor? that a good place to have a team.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  22. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ann Arbor is a tough one to decipher. Population is close to 350.000 (that includes the whole county) and its close to Detroit and the Flint/Saginaw area. But you have to think GR is over a million people in the metropolitan area. So theoretically it could support a team I suppose but in Michigan I'd have to think the only two viable cities would be GR and Detroit

23. warrior14

warrior14 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i cant think of any more cities in Michigan that could support a team. So yeah GR and Detroit are the only two options.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak for yourself.

And I'll point out - again - that without a semi-desirable big market and an investor, they'd still be rattling on, like the people trying to rally support for all the other cities still on the outside.

I just think some folks tend to overestimate their weight in the equation. I know it makes for a nice story and all, but come on.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do many others, which is why their attendance and revenues are so much better than MLS' and they have no trouble getting mini-fridges.

Oh, wait....