Who's next in the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #2526 USRufnex, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    25 years ago, there was no MLS and we were told that the future of American soccer was indoors because "Americans hate ties and low scoring games." :cautious:

bullsear repped this.
  2. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the city skyline have to do with gay rights? I know San Fran is a hotbed of gay culture, but you're Milking that association for more than its worth.

3. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if you pay enough attention, you'll notice this is not a bog, but a message board.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's more of a marsh, wouldn't you agree?

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    i thought it was more like quicksand.

[​IMG]

Zoidberg, USFootiefan1980 and AndyMead repped this.
  6. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I can't speak for him, but I concur. Definitely soggy and marsh-like.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  7. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting nuggets hidden in this article, like the number of playoff participants

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1730179/nasl-shifts-4-team-playoff-format?cc=5901

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, here are the last 2 paragraphs that drop hints on what cities are talking to the NASL

'Peterson indicated that the league is looking to add more teams in the Midwest and on the west coast of the U.S., and is currently in discussions with potential ownership groups in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Two markets on the east coast are also vying for expansion teams, he said.

"We don’t have a timeline," he said. "I’m fortunate that the owners have said, 'Take your time and make sure we get the right owners in the right cities.' It's hard to handicap expansion, and what we won't do is create any false timelines, or put ourselves in a corner where we have to make decisions."'

I wonder if he means Orange County and LA as separate markets, or one and the same?

8. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Blues just are in Orange County and changed their name to Orange County Blues this year. I hope the NASL doesn't get into another congested market like OKC

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Orange County/LA would be exactly like the OKC situation if not worse.
    Indy and Ottawa seem like they will be solid additions in several aspects.
    With all three leagues expanding all at the same time there will need to be careful planning.
    Right now Edmonton is the furthest team west but adding ottawa and INdy at least bring two teams that are closer. Hamilton also a good possibility brings another Canadian club.
    SAN Diego may be a city where a NASL team will work but the distance from other clubs in the NASL could be a problem

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So his genius plans are to put 2 teams in a region that already has 2 MLS and 2 USL teams in the Greater LA area, put a team in a city (San Francisco) that has chewed up and spit out more minor league franchises than I can count (and a city that has no venue worth playing in) nevermind it also being an MLS market already, and San Diego which they've already been beat to the punch to by Real Salt Lake with their forthcoming USL squad...

Great plan for success there.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I did not here that about RSL and Sandiego. That is a good location with USL Pro Affiliates 2 in LA , San diego, Sacremtento that is a good solid Cal West coast division start of 4 clubs

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. NASL is VERY late to the party as it pertains to the west coast having been beat to almost every major market by MLS, USL or both (SF Bay Area, PDX, SEA, San Diego, Sac and LA). They'd do well to take a page from Hockey's book. D2 hockey (the AHL) is confined almost entirely to the eastern US and Canada leaving the west to the functional equivalent of D3 (the ECHL). Or if they must come west, find some fresh territory like the Inland Empire, Vegas, etc...

13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yeah. I agree. NASL needs to go to the Mid West and South East before MLS and USL. They would do well in Detroit, Milwaukee, Nashville and Birmingham.

bullsear repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How do you propose they do that?

NASL needs to go where potential owners with viable business plans appear.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I guess you can Bisquick'em up in a second........get it?

16. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    The blues have are a joke (avg attendance 685) and SF has a supporters group who want nothing to do with the Earthquakes and building support for a NASL team. Just pointing out some facts.

17. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I mean in LA we're talking about one MLS team, one Chivas which practally counts as an NASL team attendance wise, the Galaxy reserve team and freaking LA Blues whose attendance is basically the players' friends and family and not much else.

There is plenty reason for NASL to by eyeing such an underserved market.

eclipse02 repped this.
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SF supporters group is headed by a Rapids fan... and has roughly 5 actual members. Just pointing out some facts...

And to point about another fact, supporters are irrelevant without a mega rich owner (sheik level rich) and a new stadium plan preferably on the water front. And even then you might not be able to get anything out of it (just ask the Niners and Warriors how getting a stadium built in SF went for them). And even after all that, SF's history with minor league teams like an NASL team is 100% failure rate. Good luck.

As for the Blues, they're not the big fish they should be worrying about. It's LA2 once they're under new ownership next year. Remember Chivas is gone.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure someone will do it (SF).....and they will fail

aetraxx7 repped this.
  20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Weren't the quakes gone at 2 points.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a first.

"Building support" is nice, but, like most things here, overblown.

Someone mentions a market, and people overreact that they're getting a team.

Someone starts a twitter feed, they act like it's a movement.

If someone is so goddamned geeked to have an NASL team in San Francisco, perhaps they should be beating the bushes for an owner, not Twitter followers and people who want to buy scarves.

TheJoeGreene and aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    A little birdie told me....

23. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, a few hundred people beating the bushes for an owner is a little better than five people beating the bushes for an owner.

A little.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Except that they almost never get around to doing that.

EDIT: Sort of like how Tinfoil Teddy spend a lot of time fighting the good fight against the USSF-CSA-MLS cartel that is keeping down real soccer in the United States. But him and his followers (sock puppets?) never seem to identify any of the multitude of owners waiting to spring forth and start teams.

SoccerPrime and aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, they're there. He is physically restraining them, waiting for the right time to strike; the soccer revolution.