whom would you pick as a realistic 2nd DP?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 19, 2010.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Following Italian soccer as I do, neither Totti or Del Piero even know where San Jose is. If they come to America (which I seriously doubt) it will be either NYC or New England.

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you people need to go back and read the title of this thread.;)

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree with your interpretation. You're saying first in history, we're saying first for this season, which now has zero.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wazzamatta? You no like unrealistic DP choice?

5. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread started 10/19/10. Awfully forward thinking when last season wasn't finished yet.

6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We don't have a DP currently. We need the first before getting the second.

7. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now referring to a "historical" second DP.

8. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this naming scheme does NOT scale :eek:

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

10. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DeRo to NYRB trade may be falling apart. Houston is looking to get in on the action. Should the Quakes bite on this? We have quality extra centerbacks available for trade.

12. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I want DeRo to play here. He can play AM or forward, and those are positions we still can improve. We may have many CMs, but none is his caliber.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    It's an interesting question. In the short term (1-2 years) this would almost certainly make the Quakes better. Even with his attitude, DeRo has been a scoring machine the past two years. I haven't watched enough TFC matches to know if he still works on defense like he did in 2005 when he played with San Jose (from what I've read, he does not), but even with that weakness the offensive skills he brings are impressive. But DeRo is getting up there in years, and with some of the young talent that the team has, I'm not sure I'd be in favor of making a trade that depletes the top youngsters and brings another withdrawn forward/central mid type of player where there are already so many options. Obviously, none of the options are as good as DeRo is right now, but how much longer will DeRo be at this level? I'm kind of 50/50 on this.

I do think the Quakes have a few options to put on the trade block that would be attractive to TFC (or other teams) - Opara, Ampai, Stephenson, or Ring. Or even McDonald or Cronin could be options. The team is so deep at central defender and defensive/holding central mid that trading one or two of these guys wouldn't be horrible.

But I think I'd rather the team look to trade for a starting quality target forward and/or left back, if they are looking to trade.

14. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo is now a RedBull...

15. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    It will be interesting to see if they renegotiate his contract and make him a DP. This trade makes a lot of sense for New York, with the age of their other DPs and the quality of the team, it seems like this year or next year is their window to win.

16. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately they won't win...b/c they still have the Metrostar stink ingrained in their DNA.

17. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bull team just got a lot better. With this trade I'd expect them to be the strongest team in MLS now.

If DeRo wanted to leave Toronto, it would have been nice to see him here.

18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With his experience in the English league, I'm sure Frank would love him. On the other hand, consider how Geovanni was done after only 12 games as they didn't want to pay him DP money, I doubt he will come to San Jose.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Steve Cherundolo has been with Hannover snce 1999. Not so sure he would want to make a move after so many years there. Even if he is on the bench making what would be an average or minimum salary there, say 300k-500k Euro, that would be maximum here. I doubt he would come.

24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...-bosman-list-the-best-players-from-the-lesser

Peter van der Heyden, 34 year old left back available on free transfer this summer from Club Brugge.

Olivier Deschacht, 30 year old left back available on free transfer this summer from Anderlecht.

Erlend Hanstveit, 30 year old left back available on free transfer this summer from Gent.

Raul Bravo, 30 year old left back available on free transfer this summer from Olympiakos.

Miguel Garcia, 28 year old right back available on free transfer this summer from Braga.

Ifeanyi Emeghara, 27 year old left back available on free transfer this summer from Steaua Bucharest.

Many more on these free transfer lists, these are just a few...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...-season-bosman-list-all-the-players-available

25. TheJester525

TheJester525 Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Bay Area
    I don't think Cherundolo will leave Germany even after he finishes his playing career. He's been a lifer at Hannover 96, and his family has settled there. He may get involved with some stuff stateside after his career, but I think he's quite happy living in Germany.