whom would you pick as a realistic 2nd DP?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quality strikers are overpriced and way beyond our budget. We have someone who can "bang" in goals. As JJ said, someone that can work with Wondo should be our focus, as well as finding a decent attacking midfielder.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    A real right mid would be helpful as well. Haven't had one of those since ROB unless you count Salinas, who was a real right mid in the making. I'm looking at Gjoey as depth at this point and right mid is not his "native" position. And I'm not sure that Jasseh will be ready next year to be a starter, though I hope he sees more time on the field.

3. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should just trade for Salinas back, I don't know how well he did at Philly last year, but I did see him score a good goal. Who knows he might enjoy not being on a first year expansion team for once.

4. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    By the time our ownership group feels like spending for a 2nd DP, this guy might be ready to make the move to the MLS.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2...-ibrahimovic-admits-he-wants-to-close-career-

Anyone know when his current cotract runs out? The guy is a beast up top but given that he's one of the top paid players in the word, would he really go down to salaries they're offering in MLS? At 29, as long as his current contract is not being 2 years, he should still have plenty left in the tank.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reading that, it sounds as if his contract is finished in 2014. That's four more years, the guy would be 33 then. Not too bad.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    given the fact we will need to take risks finding a goalscorer, why not DP Kenny Cooper? 1860 wanna get rid of him apparently. He has a tried and tested goalscoring rate in MLS. Sure he was injured, but again....we need to take chances to find a goalscorer. Big body thatd command a bunch of attention that Wondo could play off of. I could see him working very well with Wondo myself.

7. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Kenny Cooper actually played the way that you are describing, he wouldn't be coming home. He's a big guy who plays like a little guy...

1 person likes this.
  8. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cooper likes to stay on the left and cut inside. I don't remember him playing as the usual target man.

9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't the Quakes have first option on returning Americans? Whats up with Kenny Cooper?

10. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope...we gave that right up when the Season endend. Then it was reordered with the 2 expansion teams on top (Vancouver used theirs on DeMerit) and then reverse finishing order.

Cooper is being scooped up by Portland and not as a DP. We could skirt the allocation order if we offer him DP money, but that is unlikely and stupid.

11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romania/Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu may become available soon... the FO should definitely do their due diligence on him and see if he is available and open to MLS.

http://www.nj.com/redbulls/index.ss...rs_draft_will_be_different_for_red_bulls.html

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could say, Mutu has a nose for goal.

14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we do, our mascot pretty much has to become Dr Roxo, the rock and roll clown.... transitive law.

16. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Here is what it will be like if Mutu comes to SJ

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V04sMDPoIlY&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V04sMDPoIlY&NR=1[/ame]

first
    JD: "Now Adrian, we expect you to lead the team and keep your nose clean."
    Mutu: "I'll be good I promise, just give me boatloads of cash"

3 months later...
    Mutu: "Hey JD, guess what I just did... cocaine!"
    JD: "... oh boy"

17. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mutu is going to sign a 6-month deal with South China in Hong Kong. South China is also a partner club with Hotspurs. By the way, Nicky Butt will be playing for them too.

19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry. Wrong info. It is Kezman (played for Chelsea), not Mutu.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is probably too expensive for the Quakes:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276...triker-adrian-mutu-to-decide-future-next-week

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i tell you who i would like to DP. Eddie Johnson. hes got half a season left in England and a more than proven track record in MLS.

22. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    As a DP, no thanks. He might be worth a decent salary, but a DP, no.

23. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson never had high work ethic, blue-collar attitude that I would like to see in a Quakes player. I'd pass on him. If we get a DP, I'd want them for the a-mid or d-mid spot, not forward.

24. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I can't see us needing a DP in D-Mid. We don't need anybody in D-Mid, we already have Cronin, Ring, BMac. A-Mid DP would be nice, but I'd also take a center forward. I think I can be forgiven for thinking that, between RJ and Lehart, we don't have a sure starting quality CF.

25. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/pardo-says-hell-jump-mls-2011

...Pardo confirmed to FutbolMLS.com this week that he intends to bring his game to MLS after his contract with Club América expires at the end of the Clausura 2011 tournament in Mexico...
    ...Even though he didn’t name the team he would be joining or the city where he’d like to play this summer, Pardo revealed that, “Honestly, I like the West Coast, up north.”...

...Neither the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps nor Portland Timbers have filled any of their available DP slots. The San Jose Earthquakes, meanwhile, cut ties with Brazilian playmaker Geovanni following the 2010 season and do not currently have a DP on their roster.