Who would you pick in your starting 11 for WC 2014?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by pwoblo, Apr 15, 2014.

?

Who would you pick in your starting 11 for WC 2014?

1. Tim Howard

93.0%
  2. Brad Guzan

6.1%
  3. Onyewu

6.1%
  4. Beasley

21.9%
  5. Cameron

95.6%
  6. Gonzalez

51.8%
  7. Besler

96.5%
  8. Goodson

24.6%
  9. Johannson

34.2%
  10. Bedoya

30.7%
  11. Altidore

64.9%
  12. F Johnson

95.6%
  13. Bradley

98.2%
  14. Jones

66.7%
  15. Donovan

84.2%
  16. Dempsey

94.7%
  17. Zusi

52.6%
  18. Wondolowski

13.2%
  19. E Johnson

0.9%
  20. Other

41.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that an in form Chandler would be a great starting RB, I don't know that I'd feel tremendously better with GCam at CB than anyone else, as I've not seen enough of him at CB to be any more excited about his ability to play with Besler than anyone else, at that position. I feel very comfortable starting him on the right, but I agree, an in form and fit Chandler would be a nice alternative.

Is Jozy clearly better than Aron? I don't know if you can say that. They both scored a ton of goals at the same level. You can't compare Jozy and Aron today at any other level than that as Aron hasn't had the opportunity to try out the EPL. I don't know how anyone would be saying today that Jozy is clearly the better option than Aron. Physically he is stronger, and he may be a better target forward, but who knows if JK will play a system against Ghana employing a target striker. In 2013, Jozy was doing very well in his role. A season later, who knows how he'll do? It all depends on the offensive scheme, and how they do in training. But in April of 2014, I don't know if you can say with 100% confidence that Jozy is far and away the best American striker. I know I won't. I think he's a great striker when he is in the right offense, and when confident. But I would be willing to gamble with Aron if Jozy's form in training is poor and Aron's is great. Personally, in other threads I've argued that we should move Demps to the 9 role, relieving him of any defensive responsibilities. IMO he's more dangerous on the ball around the goal than anyone we have right now (other than maybe Wondo in the 6 yard box).

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's the dilemma. He's so smooth on the ball that I like him in the center of midfield (think his long Pirlo like assist to EJ), and he has so much confidence right now playing with Stoke on the right side of defense that I'd like him there as well. I think we have potentially as good or better options in the center of the park who play that role day in and out with their club sides that I don't think we lose much with GCam not playing there, but you can't say the same at RB, right now. Again, I just don't know about his current ability to play central defense. He hasn't much for the national team of late, and certainly hasn't for Stoke, so I say keep him where he plays day in and out. Keep it simple for these guys. It's a short time to gel and learn the tactic. Trying to also get comfortable in a different role than one he's been playing for the past 9 months seems potentially counter productive, especially when we don't have a clearly better option at that position. Chandler may be a better option, but he'll be just getting back to full fitness and may not have even played a full 90 by that time. Not an option most likely, unfortunately.

3. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Altidore Dempsey

Bradley

Donovan Zusi

Edu

Beasley Goodson Besler Cameron

Howard​

Subs for offensive spark: Bacon, E. Johnson, Yedlin

Subs for defensive strength: F. Johnson, Jones, Beckerman

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After thinking on it for a night here is my updated starting 11.

-------------------- Demps --------------
    Fabian ------------ Donovan ------------- Bedoya
    ---------------- MB -- Cameron
    Beasley --- Besler -- Omar --- Parkhurst
    -------------------- Howard

Subs if down a goal:
    EJ for Bedoya
    Mix for Parkhurst (Cameron to RB)
    Davis for one of Fabian or Beasley (which ever looks to need a sub)

Subs if up a goal or 2:
    Jones for Parkhurst (Cameron to RB)
    Jozy for Donovan (Dempsey drops back)
    Davis for one of Fabian or Beasley (which ever looks to need a sub)

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #30 Excellency, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    I voted for nine names plus "other"

------------johannsson-------dempsey
    --------------bradley--other1------zusi
    ------------------------other2
    --cameron---besler-----------gonzo--fabian
    -----------------------howard---------

Other 1 is Powers, other 2 is Edu. Edu should have been included in the poll.

This would be for Ghana. I would have to tweak for Cristiano.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wow. I like Powers a lot but the guy has never been capped..definitely not ready to just jump into a starting role in a WC.

Berks repped this.
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Someone who is not included in this poll but who could certainly "just jump into a starting role in a WC" would be Feilhaber. (Although JK looks to prefer Davis, or other and younger options.)

ImaPuppy repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also not yet ready to replace Jozy. I think we could use his hold up play that's gotten better and his physicality, something playing other strikers don't get us. Right now I'm very open to striker being a position that will require a sub in the game. Also open to playing different options through the May camp as long as it's not someone random who hasn't had a chance to play with the current team much at all (see: Juan Agudelo).

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering if "other" includes Beckerman. I had a hard time thinking about him versus Jones knowing Jones' situation and Beckerman's speed.

10. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey--Donovan
    Bedoya-Bradley-Zusi
    ------Beckerman-----
    FJ--Besler-Gonzo--Cam

Beckerman's the 'other'. Maybe could replace Cam with Parkhurst and put Cam in Beckerman's spot. I'm kind of unsure which between Parkhurst and Beckerman I feel more comfortable starting. But I don't like Bradley and Jones playing together (I think it's been discussed on this board enough as to why it's a problem). I really would like Jozy to be on the field, but I think giving Donovan more of a free range role and keeping Bedoya/Zusi on the wings is better. Obviously then, the other option would be to replace Bedoya with Donovan so that Altidore starts. Though I could also see Donovan being more of an impact sub, so you could leave Bedoya on.

11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted these 10 names: Howard; F.Johnson, Besler, Gonzo, Cameron; Bradley, Donovan, Zusi; Dempsey, Altidore.

The most vulnerable of these 10 are Gonzo and Zusi.

Then I voted "other" for my 11th starter, which could be any of: Jones, Edu, or Williams as the DM -- to be determined. If I had more prep time I would change things up and move Cameron to DM and use either Chandler at RB or Ream at LB (with FJ at RB). MY preference, not what I think JK will do.

Berks repped this.
  12. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Always a fun exercise.

Ghana: 4231 -- leaning right

Code:
                              Altidore

Fabian                    Johanson                      Zusi
                        ^
                     Bradley            Jones    

Edu              Besler             Cameron            Parkhurst

Howard

Portugal: defensive 352 -- spare man in the back

Code:
                           Altidore      
                                       Dempsey

^
       ^             Bradley                 Donovan
    F.Johnson                     Jones                   Cameron

Goodson        Besler      Gonzalez

Howard

Germany: 4141 -- hope they've qualified
    (assuming Jones is suspended on yellow card accumulation)

Code:
                              Altidore

Dempsey
    F.Johnson          Bradley                              Bedoya

Beckerman

Beasley            Besler               Cameron         Parkhurst

Howard

13. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yyyyyyep. that's why my choices for the Ghana match would be:

---Wondo--Dempsey---
    Bedoya - Bradley - Zusi
    ----------Jones-----------
    FJ-Besler-Cameron-Parks

Some of this is kind of awkward, I'll agree. I mean, Bedoya works better on the right, but I just don't see Donovan as a starter right now. Jones only gets in if he'll park his *ss where it belongs, right behind Bradley. Otherwise, Cameron or Beckerman should take that spot. But it's all with a massive grain of salt anyhow. The showings in the warm-up friendlies will almost definitely change this.

oh damn. I nearly forgot about Edu. If he keeps up his current form, he could be Jones, without the airheaded discipline issue.

14. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen some posts here leaving Zusi off the starting XI. I really don't see how you do that. He's been consistently good for USMNT, plays some great crosses, and is probably the most tenacious defender out of our wing options. Why would you leave him off?

15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me:

-------------Howard-----------------
    TC/Parky--Cameron---Besler---Beasley
    -------------Jones------------------
    Bedoya---------Bradley--------F. Johnson
    --------------Donovan--------------
    ---------------Dempsey------------

If Chandler can't get healthy, I'd start some combo of Camern and Parkhurst on the right side. But I have to admit, I haven't quite decided who would play where.

I don't trust Gonzo or Jozy, they both get the bench.

In response to the last post, while Zusi has been good latley, I think Bedoya is actually a much more tenacious defender, and that's what we'll need in Brazil, especially with RB so unsettled.

16. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't seen the pitch or started since? And won't ever after whickham scoring more goals in todays game than he has all season. Doesn't deserve a start.

17. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair. I've seen them both do well in that respect. But I don't think Zusi is much worse in that respect, while he's probably the better winger from a service/offensive perspective. Maybe the right answer is to play him @ Ghana, and Bedoya @ Portugal. But honestly, I'd like to have them both on the field in the right situation.

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anyone else with his skillset. Not playing EJ over him in that spot. Wondo/Bacon is a different player. Agudelo/Boyd - not enough prime time with the team. If we had a ready replacement, great. I don't think we do.

I'm not comfortable selecting him for the reasons you mention, but I just don't see a next best alternative.

19. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ------------- Altidore ---- Dempsey ------------

Donovan ---- Bradley ---- Cameron ---- Zusi

F Johnson -- Besler -- Gonzalez -- Parkhurst

--------------------- Howard ------------------

20. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------Altidore---------------
    AJ---------Dempsey------Donovan
    -------Bradley-------Jones---------
    FJ-----Besler--Omar :/---Cameron
    --------------Howard---------------

21. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Switch Zusi with Bedoya and seconded with reservations re Gonzalez. I am worried about that but maybe Parkhurst can mitigate the screwups.

22. DaNnYsOl09

DaNnYsOl09 Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ----------------------Altidore----------------------
    -------------------------Dempsey-----------------
    -------------------Bradley-------------------------
    --------Donovan------------------Zusi-----------
    --------------------Beckerman-------------------
    Parkhurst----------------------------F. Johnson
    --------------Besler--------Cameron------------
    ----------------------Howard---------------------

In a 4-4-2 Diamond:

If we're going to attack down the flanks with out backs then I don't want to see Cameron out there he can't deliver quality crosses. I'd rather see F. Johnson out there as he has looked pretty damn good at right back for Hoff in attack cutting inside or staying wide to deliver quality crosses.
    At left back I'd say give Parkhurst another go in camp and if he keeps performing then the position is his. Cameron for Gonzo and Besler keeps his spot. Zusi starts over Bedoya in this formation due to his superior passing skills.

In a 4-2-3-1:

Bedoya in for Zusi on the right to give and Jones in for Beckerman next to Bradley.

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Donovan should really be played as a striker at this point in his career. He has been playing mostly as a striker for the last 2 years but for the national team, Jurgen still uses him out wide. Bruce Arena probably knows the most about Landon and he plays him up top. I think Jurgen should too.

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would go with:

Altidore
    Fab Dempsey Donovan
    Jones Bradley
    Beasley Cameron Goochi Parkhurst
    Howard
    My other is Parkhurst or Chandler if he returns in time.

Bradley and Jones will play more of a double 6 for the first 65. JK has referred to them as "the 6s" in a couple of recent pressers.

We need more of a physical presence and attitude from the CB pair especially against Ghana. I don't want to spend the next 4 years watching replays of KPB bouncing a USMNT CB and scoring. KPB won't be bouncing Goochi and GCam has the strength, quickness and long-legged defending to contain the prince.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Talisman has played 6 matches for LA this year. He played 4 in midfield (3 LM, 1 CAM) and 2 at S.