Who would have thought it at the start of the season?

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    We're back.

[​IMG]

2. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    @whill4 and I sarcastically voted for relegation, lol. I was frustrated after we sold Lamela and Marcos.

4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 SoCalYid, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Ha! That's why I rarely participate in those predictions. I remember in the other teams thread when Nicky had a go at me for not making a prediction. I never do at least until 5-10 matches into a season. I don't see how anyone can make claims until they see a team play a few matches.

6. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Brings some not so nice flashbacks from the summer. This place was so full of negativity and drama. Glad those of us who had faith were proven right and that those who didn't believe have joined us now.

Forza Roma, what a season! Future is bright.

7. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we get a good group. By good group I don't mean a group full of nobodies. I don't want a group of death but I want at least one notable opponent. Someone we can test ourselves against, a big European match. Like in years past.

8. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Considering our low coefficien, we for sure gonna be in a tough group. But that's ok, next year objective should be the scudetto and a nice European show, as long we don't embarrass ourselves. I don't expect us to walk straight out of the group stages. if anything I won't mind having a go at the Europa league.

9. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are all but guaranteed a group of death. We will be in the same pot as the likes of Danish, Belgian Serbian and Austrian clubs.

10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't expect much from CL next season just because of where Roma will be seeded. Next season should be all about the Scudetto.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we can still get lucky though.

If we got a group like Group A, C, E or G this season I would be happy. If people call it a group of death then so be it, but we have to remember we would make it a group of death. Nobody would want to draw us.

12. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nobody in their right mind wants to draw either Roma (4th seed) or Liverpool (3rd seed).
    see for yourself what we can get.

Uefa Champions League 2014/15 pots

i personally want Benfica - Shalke - Olympiakos - Roma.
    Or Benfica - Shaktar - Neverkusen - Roma.

But we could also get
    Real Madrid - PSG - Liverpool- Roma.

13. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We will be feared as a 4th seed, make no doubt about that.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We will have the group of death as they call it. Not many 4th seeds will have a squad packed like Roma, it may be the strongest 4th seed in the comps history

15. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On topic , i would've signed with blood for a 3rd / 4th place.

also , can you imagine if we get a group with Benfica / Shalke / Liverpool / Roma?
    if i was Benfica / Shalke i would consider myself the unluckiest ************************ ever.

Imran_INDIA repped this.
  16. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    did you create that spreadsheet

my briefs are now literally wet

17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Someone did the numbers a while ago, we have 90%+ chance to be 3rd tier, mwny clubs above us won't make it to the CL this year.

18. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no , some liverpool fans did.

19. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Can you explain how that works? Our seeding isnt entirely dependent on us?

20. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Every team has an amount of coefficient points. When finally the 32 teams make it to the CL after the playoffs, they are listed based on their points. Right now we are ranked somewhere in the fifties, but more than 25 teams above us won't make it to the CL this year, and some of them will have to play in the playoffs against each other. I think we need 1 or 2 more teams above us not to make it to the CL so we would get 3rd tier, which is highly likely to happen,

21. Toma Rundi

Toma Rundi Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Leskovac
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    You are partially right, but far from 100%. There are some teams that are overlooked by that Lpool guy.
    One of Sevilla and Atletic B will drop off from that list, that's for sure, they can't make it both, there are already 3 teams in front of them in primera. Then, you have Dynamo K which probably will not make it to the CL (Dnipro on 2nd place atm), same as CSKA (Loko on 2nd). That two simply would be must for us. Also, we need Arsenal (>Everton), Porto (>Estoril) and Leverkuzen (>anyone else) to fail. One, two or all three of them, that would be ideal.
    But, we have Lille (idk why they were forgotten) and Salzburg with beter coef for sure. Salzburg will go in much easier champions route and will be in CL almost for sure. Kobenhavn and Anderlecht are not on direct cl spots in their leagues, but they are very close.
    Yes, some of that teams will have to play each other, but we would definetly need luck to finish in 3rd tier. Chances are 50/50 i would say.

22. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even if we finish in third tier , we would get (with our extreme luck!) , Bilbao instead of Liverpool , which makes it easier admittedly , but we would still have to fight with 2 top notch teams , the likes of which are over our league (Real and PSG) , we need to hope we draw one of the weak 2nd / 1st seed teams , or we are almost guaranteed to fail , unless we buy , and we need to buy big.

23. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think people here underrate our squad severely, I hope we get the group of death. There is no team we dont stand a chance against

wm72 repped this.
  24. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I'm not as brave as you in wanting a group of death but I do agree that people here tend to underrate how good we could be (if we keep all our key players).

There's only 3 or 4 clubs I don't think we'd stand a pretty good chance against head to head.

However, there's also a quite a few more that I think are close enough together to where anyone could win any given day.

Where we're really lacking is obviously in quality depth.

I'm looking forward to the CL but still hope that Rudi's idea is play a solid team in the CL matches but not risk anything that causes us to drop points in the league.

Getting knocked out at group stage would be bitter but acceptable whereas falling out of a CL spot for 2015-16 season would be near disaster.

25. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    With the situation of todays Serie A, I cant see anyone improving to our level over 1 season. The only possible change I can see is Inter(if getting Dzeko and Sagna etc) or Viola overtaking Napoli, but I dont see that happening either