Who will win euro 2012?

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Germany were favorites in 08, and in 2010..............and now you're saying their favorites in 2012?

2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    No...I am saying that Spain is. Given that they are world champs and euro champs they would have to be.

3. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    exactly! Spain flogged germany in that 08 final and the 1-0 scoreline flattered germany. Should have been 4-0.

4. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The only thing I don't want to happen is any of the four winning this tournament on penalties.

5. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan

Meh. A wins a win. Just don't want any controversial calls.

6. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I would prefer no games won on PKs. But too late for that.

7. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    this thread was amusing, but now it's becoming tedious. here is some more meaningless rubbish (courtesy of the BBC):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18580122

time to stop talking nonsense and start playing football, i think.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  8. Ronaldo2012

Ronaldo2012 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  9. ganzetto

ganzetto New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  10. FairPlay4ever

FairPlay4ever New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    No - wrong. Germany was far away from being fav in 2008 & 10. Spain (plus the obligatory Brazil/Argentina in 2010) were clearly favs at that time.
    I remember the BBC mugs saying pre-match Ger vs. Eng in WC 2010: "Germany is an average side. No one would make it into the England squad." Ok, you can argue, that might have been strange British humor, but.... ;-)

11. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I remember 2010 the chokers tag following spain all the way to the final, no way spain would defeat the germans, then in 2010 germany played beautifully and destroyed 2 top sides in england and argentina, they were favorites amongsta many to beat spain, now it's different again and i don't know why, neither do i have a clue why germany will beat spain this time, because IMO they played better in 2010 than they did at this tournament.

12. FairPlay4ever

FairPlay4ever New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Again wrong SpaniardFC.

Germany played more spectacular in 2010, more surprisingly, not "better" (in the sense of holistically being better, i.e. acting/dominating rather than only reacting/counterattacking). In 2010 they were hugely underestimated by many pundits (see above mentioned BBC saying). Perceiption is always the difference between "reality" and expectation... ;-)

At this tournament Germany is a lot less spectacular, but much more mature and dominant. They had to change their style because their counter-attacking abilities alone would not have been surprising to anyone anymore.

Obsidian repped this.
  13. mattplant

mattplant Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just hope it doesn't finish with penalties ;)

SpaniardFC repped this.
  14. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Agree'd.........win or lose...........please no penalties.........

15. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Spaniard must have lived in an alt-universe during WC '10. Not much was expected of Germany, at home and abroad, particularly following Ballack's injury.

When Lahm said on the eve of the tournament that he had never played in a better NT, people collectively wondered what he had been smoking.

To be sure, after the emphatic wins against England and Argentina, people were getting more optimistic about Germany's chances vs. Spain.

But it's simply wrong that Germany was considered a favourite going into the tournament.

Unlike 2012, where Germany always was considered among the top-favourites.

lost and LoewenBoy repped this.
  16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    People also wondered what Lahm had been smoking after he published his book. :)

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...I remember only one out of four commentators giving Germany the edge over Spain (and most of those simply came after thrashing Eng and Arg). From what I recall pre-match; most people including that fucking octopus saw Spain knocking Germany out.

Other than that, most of the pundits favored Spain. Perhaps people and press in Spain didn't support their own team but globally, most people I recall gave Spain the edge to beat Germany.

Germany was not a favorite in 2008 and it was not in 2010 either.

Once again, you are talking out of your ass.

lost and jerrito repped this.
  18. Ronaldo2012

Ronaldo2012 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Youre a liar. Germany were favourites in 2008 with some bookies.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok, I am a liar...allow me to rephrase; some "bookies" made Germany favorites in 2008. Happy?

In the end, the majority of the bookies; did not. Is that better for you?

20. Ronaldo2012

Ronaldo2012 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    the majority of bookies did.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Spain and Brazil were the 2 overwhelming favorites in WC 2010. How can people get this wrong, the betting odds are still out there to see for anybody who knows how to use Google.

For the most part, even England were bigger favorites than Germany in 2010 when the tournament kicked-off.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Which ones? Please post your evidence.

William Hill had Germany as 4-1 favorites but many of the other bookies had Spain or Italy. Even more frsutrating was the MOST bookmakers had no consensus on who their top favorite was. Bwin had Italy and some of the other larger houses had Spain or even Portugal just to take business away from William Hill and the odds they were giving.

You *do* know that just because bookies make someone a "favoriate" it has nothing to do with anything other than making money, right? Bwin simply picked someone other than Germany to take business away from William Hill...and they gave even better odds, again, to take business away. Does not mean Germany was seriously any more/less likely to win.

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I which country? Or do you mean bookies in the whole world? I have a hard time believing that you actually researched this.

My impression was that the English bookies favoured Spain, but I don't have any real evidence to back this up. Here is the first link that pops up in a quick google search:

http://www.bigfreebet.com/previews/2008/germany-vs-spain-odds.html

which supports my impression. You really want to avoid calling people "liars" when you can't prove them wrong.

Cris 09 and LoewenBoy repped this.
  24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I smell a "troll" in "Ronald2012".

25. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    He's still pissed about missing his PK chance yesterday and Big Soccer was a good place to waste time while waiting at the airport in Gdansk for a flight back to Lisbon.