Who will win euro 2012?

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah yes I heard this in 2010 after germany knocked out argentina and england by 4 goals each, YAWN!

Worry about italy first, because it's going to be an italy vs spain final regardless of how you feel about spain vs germany.

2. ATHBIO

ATHBIO New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Yeah, I can imagine. After years working for Siemens and UHDE I can imagine perfectly who has a tendency to corruption and cheating on the rules.

Oh, sorry, for my mistke, I guess you inferred latins and Pigs, not respectable northern europeans. :)

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agree with most of that. Just think you are exaggerating the extent of Germany's domination so far. Their wins haven't been any more one-sided than Spain's wins, just more fun to watch. The stats back this up.

SpaniardFC repped this.
  4. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think the Italians look better than the Germans so far? Sure they might win with a defensive error by Germany or a generous flop call in the box, but to call them favorites is a bit of a stretch.

These one off games anything can happen. I'm saying the Germans look the best so far and I predict they will win it all. Are you predicting Spain will take it again based on what you've seen so far, or is that just your sangre rojo talking. ;)

5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Really? not to take anything away from the 06 or current Portugal, but it seemed to me that Paraguay pushed Spain much more that Portugal did. I seem to remember Paraguay creating more scoring chances and giving up fewer that Portugal did. Not that it matter now.

6. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    My friend you should heed your own advice and not discount Portual. Otherwise your counsel about Germans being overconfident simply smack of bloviation. Spain-Italy will also be a memory if you don't get past Portugal...so what's good for the goose...

7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Agree with all but the last 11 words. They are World and European champs, so they would have to be considered favorites. Forget they had a light qualifying group or an easy group draw, they are still favorites. However, they do need to get past Portugal...as Germany needs to get past Italy.

Would serve us all right if Italy and Portugal met in the finals...would leave us both not knowing who would beat who.:cool:

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Which stats exactly?

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Goals for, goals against, shots for, shots against, possession, corners, passing accuracy, etc.

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Oh, those. Seems UEFA's stats says otherwise.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Italy have 50 shots on target...weren't like 28 of those vs England? :eek:

It does seem that Italy and Spain have by far the strongest defense out there.

12. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm basing this purely on performance in Euro 2012. Spain is ranked #1 in the world and coming off two major tournament wins (might have been three but those annoying gringos beat them in '09) so yes they are technically the favorites.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    umm... that link totally confirms what I just wrote. Spain slightly ahead of Germany in every category except goals scored, where they are behind by 1.

PS... the teams are ranked based on their progression and in alphabetical order, that's why Germany is ahead of Spain in that list, while Ukraine is last.

14. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Cris, the Kicker stats are a bit more detailed. They actually used the UEFA stats software and broke the categories down further. The 35+ shots were actually like 9 on frame...they discounted shots from like 35m that trickled into the box and the keeper "saved" it. As you know, Kicker is a bit more anal-retentive about what they call a shot or a save. They cleared out the chatter and only counted what was truly dangerous. Incidently, they use the same company and same software for the Bundesliga stats...and you know how Germans like numbers and order.:cool:

What is disappointing is that UEFA did not bother to crunch the numbers in this manner. FIFA does for the WM, but seems Platini's UEFA is too focused on other stuff.

15. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I hear you. But you can see where Spanish fans might get their panties in a bunch if someone says they are not favorites. As world champs, Euro champs, top in their qualifying group, top in their group phase, they would have to be considered favs. Cool. I am fine with that. Frankly, I would rather that mantle be off Germany to take the pressure off a bit....you know how the German press can get.:D

16. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dfensive error or flop in the box? You mean like vs argentina in 1990 final? youre so arrogant its not even funny. You talk about Italy like we're a minnow. We've sent you packing on numerous occasions in your own country.

Guess what, Spain will own you again if that final does happen. You pump up germany when you were a '' favorable '' no call away from getting knocked out vs denmark.

1-0, 2-1, 2-1, 4-2 wins. With Greece being the exception, your dominance is overrated.

17. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    All i see in this thread is arrogance, people crying and denying others what they deserve, and talking up their own chances while dismissing other teams. Get one thing straight, Spain has been just as dominant than Germany and deserve the most respect out of any team. No doubt in my mind if germany meet Spain in the final, Spain will send them packing a 3rd straight tournament and 2nd straight euro final.

18. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The only person that gets their panties in a bunch is you mr know it all.

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Meh...you might want to look in one of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HSV-Jung and Dage repped this.
  20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Made my day :D

21. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Errrrr, Ive tipped germany to beat us stupid. Truth hurts doesnt it. Youre the main of offender.

22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys are greatly exaggerating us. Sure there are some D-bags, but there are those types of fans every where.

Take a look at the Spain section, there is no one there gloating about our trophies or claiming to be the best ever. We fancy our chances just like everyone else fancies their countries chances. I haven't read every thread, but the ones where the Spain fans come out and actually talk about us being the favorites are when everyone else are saying first: our football is boring, or when people say "X" team is going to beat us or "Y" nearly beat us when we haven't been challenged since Switzerland.

We are favorites. That's not being arrogant by saying. Until Portugal or Germany beat us we will remain favorites. I'm not saying that means I know for certain we will win Euro 2012, in fact I find Portugal the most dangerous team for Spain in the Euros. But only two teams have unsettled Spain in the last four years in tournament play, and neither of those teams are Germany or Portugal...

BocaFan and LoewenBoy repped this.
  23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Absolutely 100% true, of course. There are so few d-bags (for all teams) that are posting crap. MR. Fabio being one of the most prolific.

I think the majority of the Spanish, Italian, German and Portugese fans out there realize this is anyone's tournament to win. The Spanish are rightful favorites based on form and recent success. All the other teams have their + and -. How it will turn out? Who knows.

I am just hoping for good, exciting, attack-minded games...from every team.

whill4 repped this.
  24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Really? Hmmm. Okay. I have tried to be nice...even jovial about this. However, you go from thread to thread pissing on people's opinions and yet posting the exact same crap as they posted. You don't agree with someone? Fine. But telling them they are full of shiite for thinking their team is #1, while in the next sentence saying how great your team is, is just, well...silly. Please stop so we can have a meaningful discussion.

arthur d and Prawn Sandwich repped this.
  25. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I never expected to win in 2012, so my expectations going into this tournament was if spain had a semi final showing, i'd be content. We all could be wrong, and it could be italy vs portugal final, which i don't think i've heard anyone talk about yet.