Who will be the next Tony Sanneh?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by PTS21, Dec 6, 2013.

1. PTS21

PTS21 Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanneh was one of the best players in the 2002 World Cup. If the US is to succeed they will need someone to surprise and step up in a big way like Sanneh did.

So who in our pool has that ability to surprise and play at a level we don't expect?

Of the top of my head, I'd have to go with Fabian Johnson. Like Sanneh, he can bring in all over the field.

HartwickFan repped this.
  2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one/ thread closed.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of response is this? Apparently you're not familiar with what the word surprise means.

Really, it could be a # of players on the team, so to say nobody has the potential unlike in '02 is ironic. Chandler, Shea, Agudelo, Cameron the CDM, Zusi the CM, Omar, and Lichaj; are all capable of having more of an impact for the national team than they've had the last couple of years, so I'll say one of them. Out of that group, I'll go with Omar. I think he may start bossing both boxes (opposing team's on set pieces) as soon he gets further away from that blown knee. Austria could just be the beginning.

4. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Matt Besler... he's really been great for us and kind of flies under the radar.

5. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Wynalda keeps going on about how Chris Klute is the next Sanneh or Pope.

ChrisE repped this.
  6. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    After today's draw? I think it's pretty obviously the wing back who somehow, impossibly, overshadows Cristiano Ronaldo in a big, improbable US win. Like Sanneh did to Figo.

taylor repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bedoya

8. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I agree with this, I think Bedoya could make himself alot of money next summer. He has the skills and he seems to get better every month.
    I also think a Matt Besler could do very well against these top-flight players that we're going to see next summer.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Besler. A wonderful WC performance and he's off to Europe in a 5-8 million dollar transfer.

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How about Freddy adu or Clint Mathis handles Ronaldo as well. They have an equal chance....

12. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the trolling from German fans begins...

13. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could use Frings. After all, he could give them a hand ;)

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Opening a can of Mathis on this World Cup would just not be fair to the other countries.

SOCCERMARINE and taylor repped this.
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  16. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 Bilgediver, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Not only that, his previous experience at forward sometimes has him advancing. Those that never saw his goal against Juventus in that friendly tourney with the Galaxy should look it up. Pass to Juninhio then a sparking run saw a beautiful through ball placed at his feet where he delicately chipped it over Buffon. It really could be Omar.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Eddie Johnson will be the difference maker for us this time -- if he can keep his head on straight. I can see Eddie bagging 3 goals for us. He has the speed and power and heading ability to defeat any of the 3 defenses.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's if he makes the squad. His ego needs to stay in check. Hard enough in MLS, we can't afford that during the camp.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually the proper fan quote should be " There is only one Tony Sanneh"

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh he'll make the squad. I really can't see him missing. And his best buddy Clint got a major Seattle payday, while EJ led the team in scoring and got peanuts. I can totally understand EJ's frustration, although I would have handled it differently. I don't think he has an ego problem.

21. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Sanneh was magnificent! I'll never forget how me made Figo his bitch. He was a monster. :)

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm going with Geoff Cameron.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He just might be ready for a bigger club than Stoke

ttrevett repped this.
  24. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Geoff Cameron, for me. I think he'll definitely use this World Cup as a launching pad to bigger and better things. I also don't think he'll be at right back after this World Cup simply because he and Bradley in the middle simply makes too much sense and we have plenty of prospects at that position that we'll have time to grow.

25. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm going for Zusi myself. Geoff is a good shout out, but he's playing well enough for it not be too unexpected. Mind you I don't think Graham's that far from Cameron's point either when he's really on fire as is.