Who Will Be The Next New Club To Qualify For The Champions League?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by EvanJ, Sep 29, 2013.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think will be the next club other than Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Arsenal to qualify for the Champions League?

2. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unless a billionaire owner invests heavily in another Premier League club then there won't be.

3. LFSM180

LFSM180 New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    We could be waiting a while.

If I had to put money on a team, it'd be Everton, but I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now the best club other than the ones I listed is Southampton, who can send a message if they beat Manchester United tomorrow.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that big of a statement to beat a middling club like United, sitting a point ahead of 14th place Fulham ;).

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  6. Padraig Gill

Padraig Gill New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's going to be a closed shop for the foreseeable future.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to slightly disagree. I think the increased television contract actually narrows the gap a little.

8. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really? The BT CL TV money will be massive to the teams that qualify in 2015. They'd have a massive financial advantage over the rest of the teams.

I actually think the 6 will turn back into 4 or 5 because of that.

9. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh I wrote that before I knew of the new BT deal. Changes my opinion a bit.

10. Sam Dowdall

Sam Dowdall New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Everton or Southampton for me. Southampton seem to be getting move investment than Everton though so in the next 5-10 years could end up seeing them seek into the top 4

11. MisterPinstripe

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Everton is the only other team other than the ones listed to finish in the top 4 since 2003. So are you saying the next team to do it that hasnt before? Or just the next team to do it moving forward?

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I understand the question. By new club I meant any club other than the six I listed. It doesn't have to be a club that was never in the Champions League.

13. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At this moment in time only two clubs can really be considered, and thats Spurs and Everton.

Whilst Everton may be a point ahead of Spurs right now and having a game in hand many will probably think it will be them, but with Spurs now out of Europe and can fully focus on The Premier League Spurs may well surprise a few people...

Spurs remaining games are...

Liverpool
    Sunderland
    West Brom
    Fulham
    Stoke
    West Ham
    Villa

Everton remaining games are...

Fulham
    Arsenal
    Sunderland
    Crystal Palace
    Man United
    Southampton
    Man City
    Hull

Tottenham's run of games are all winnable apart from the Liverpool game, whilst Everton have a lot of tough games remaining.

I'm not being bias but I think Spurs will most likely finish above Everton.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham was one of the six clubs I said in the first post of the topic that wouldn't count.

15. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Opps my bad.

In that case...I'd put my money on Everton, and then Southampton (because they have a good youth setup).

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26813363

well, they're spending more, anyway. hopefully the investment will keep up. sounds like they've got it under control, but I'd be at least a little concerned if I were a saint.

they've had a bit of a rocky road since leaving the dell, haven't they? then again, I guess a whole lot of clubs have, given the dramatically changing dynamics of English football finance over the last 10-15 years.

17. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The answer probably lies in the next 5-10 months when all the talented players get dragged away by contract offers at the 6 clubs in OP's post.

Each of them are far too smart to let another club gradually build a competitive team when all they have to do is wave a portion of their champions league revenue.

Case in point:
    Scott Sinclair
    Jack Rodwell
    Arteta
    Fellaouni
    Demba Ba
    Daniel Sturridge to Chelsea

What are the odds on Luke Shaw getting on that list, then being loaned out in 2 years to a worse side than the current Southampton, with Southampton being worse off as well?

Southampton will need to
    - reinvest from the inevitable sales
    - invest even more on top
    - hope their next set of academy graduates are also very good
    - hope Pochettino can somehow make it all work

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Southampton. I could see them getting there within a few years.

19. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Everton or Southampton.
    Love the way that Southampton play, very team orientated and well-coached but they're probably two good players short of that 4th spot.
    I'd love to say Everton but the thing that scares me about them is that they've had just about everything go right for them this season and they're still just clinching on by their nails to that 4th spot and like Southampton, are probably a couple players away, they've done it this year with a core group of players that are loan-ees.
    You could also say the same thing for Tottenham.

20. MisterPinstripe

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I wouldnt say everything has gone Evertons way. There was a stretch of away games that they just couldnt get points from. Dropped a lot of points that they shouldnt have and are still in position for 4th. What is the core group of loanees? Berry is in on loan but his City contract expires at the end of this season and he will be joining Everton on a permanent deal. Deleafeu is probably going back to Barca since they have the transfer ban, but he isnt a core player. A very skilled young player, but not core.

The only core player that is a loan that will be leaving would be Lukaka, which would be a big loss. However, if Everton can get the Champions League this year they would have the revenue to make him a permanent signing since for some reason Chelsea is willing to sell him.

21. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Lukaku this year Everton is probably in 7th or 8th place, so yeah, he has been a big part of this teams success and yeah he is a loanee.

22. Madman1

Madman1 Member

Feb 1, 2014
    London
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    David Gold and Sullivan said they aimed to bring Champions League to West Ham in 7 seasons time, I don't see that any time soon though.

I praise Everton, not spending much yet managing to assemble a very good squad enough to qualify, tough fixtures coming up however, though when the loan players go back who are they left with, Mirallas and Mcgeady over Lukaku and Delefou?

23. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Delefou has made something happen every time he's taken the field for Everton.

24. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Southampton have absolutely 0% chance of making the CL - ever - unless they get a mega-rich owner.