Who the Hell is Messi?

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Green Tabasco, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Could somebody shed some light on the 16 year old Argie? Who the hell is this kid?

SpaniardFC repped this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I was as a child.

But then I learned better eating habits.

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    That´s pretty funny. Why are you trolling here? Go to WR for that.

My question is legitimate. Who is this kid? What part of ARG is he from? When did we pick him up? From what team did we pick him up?

Playing for Barca´s first team at 16 is impressive. Anyone who can shed some light on this would be much appreciated.

4. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    I personaly dont know much. I only know what is said about him on Barca official site. Perhaps Mario or Chrics or someone who know South American football very good can tell us.

Lionel Messi, is a left midfielder from the A youth team with outstanding technique. He is only 16 and comes from Newell's Old Boys in Argentina. He has already signed a contract until 2012.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/eng/noticias/noticias/n03111710.shtml

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope his arrival is legal under FIFA rules, that's all and that he has an EU passport also

6. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    So far he is nobody. The kid, by all accounts did not play well, I saw the highlights and he hardly appeared.

None of the young kids impressed me from that game. A dull, dull match.

7. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Could someone tell me the result of the friendly in Portugal?

8. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    we lost 2-0

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    dont be so harsh with the kid barca, he's only 16 for God's sake! I think he played in an acceptable way since it was his debut, away and with just a couple of starters and no, I dont have any idea bout his origin, Im not a "leproso" fan (NOB's nickname) so he wasnt on my radar screen.

10. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    I wasn't trying to be harsh, I was trying to bring it into perspective. Messi is a child and he should play hard and learn while the press and the fans do not even talk about him. Is better for him to be a nobody.

Just take a look at other forums on this board and see how many times the name of a 14 year old named Adu comes up in bitter arguments. There is a nasty thread comparing Adu and Rooney, insane.

Messi is better being a nobody for the time being.

11. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
  12. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    The second one is for those who dont speak spanish (translator), as well as I dont and DFR...

13. joosing

joosing New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    which club is he came from before Barcelona?

14. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not sure where he came from but if you watched the Under 20 World Championships you would know that this kid has got tons of talent and was one of the best players in the tournament.

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    newells old boys

16. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    weak sauce man. Messi is saying he'll accept playing on Barcelona "b." I don't know if he's saying that because he actually is going to play on the second team or if he's just saying that because he's showing he would agree with what the coach ultimately decides.
    He actually makes a good point in that continuity is really what's at stake, and he needs to be playing rather than sitting on the bench--so i give him props for that. At the same time, I think he should be playing first division football.

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    yeah, he's got the talent to play in the first division. but keep in mind the kid is only 17 (maybe 18 by now?) so this is a very delicate age. rijkaard will have to be very careful with him, there is too much at stake. when a player is that young, if the expectations get too high he could get burnt out at a young age and he could crumble under the pressure. you also don't want them to get to caught up in the excitement, or his ego could swell out of proportion. but if he isn't given enough of a look in, he could get frustrated. hopefully rijkaard learnt a thing or two after dealing with quaresma. a good example for rijkaard to follow, imho, would be how ferguson dealt with C.Ronaldo, who was certainly good enough to be a regular starter his first year at ManU, but he took his time and only gave him a few minutes here and there, and a full game every once in a while, never asking too much of him.
    it might be better if he stayed in barcaB for now to keep him out of the lime light, and just bring him up every once in a while to get everyone excited.

patience young grasshopper :rolleyes: ;)

18. evandc1

evandc1 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I beleive he was named THE BEST PLAYER of the Under 20 tournament. Messi received a call-up to the senior Argentinian national team recently, so he is clearly progressing well. With all the other attacking firepower available to Rijkaard I don't think there will be any undue pressure on Messi. He will probably travel with the team this year and play very limited minutes while he is allowed to develop.

19. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    I see Messi playing somewhat as much as Iniesta last year. who knows?

20. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    That means he would appear in every game but one or two if my memory of Iniesta is correct. I dont see Messi doing that as of yet.

Q: Who the Hell is Messi?

A: The greatest argentine teenage soccer player. Rooney who?

21. menace2society

menace2society New Member

May 19, 2005
    Messi is the next maradona perhaps

22. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen

23. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    gee i messed that last one up!

24. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    up until the last few games of the season Im pretty sure Iniesta had played some part in all of Barca's games. I am not saying he started all of them but he played at some point in all but the last 2 or 3.