Who Sits?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from what surely will be multiple posts to sit Franchino :rolleyes: our Roster will shortly be at full strength for the first time for months and some very good players are going to find themselves on the bench. The addition of Hernandez and Phillips add a lot to what was and should again/still be a very potent team. With Edozien and Smithy slowly showing that they have adapted to MLS SN et al has a lot of options. We are still thin in defensive depth but the midfield and forward corps is bursting with players that will struggle to get playing time for the Revs but would start for most other teams.

So who sits?

Players who can expect to start:
    Reis
    Heaps, Parkhurst
    Joseph, Pepe, Ralston
    TnT, Noonan

Players who will likely get starts:
    John, Phillips, Hernandez, Dempsey

Players fighting for starts:
    Franchino, Dorman, Riley, Leonard

Players on Depth Chart:
    Smith, Edozien, Warren. Flores, Larentowicz. Latham. Vercollone

My guess----if he settles in well----we will see Phillips on the right wing and Ralston on the left with Hernandez or Dempsey and Joseph behind Pepe. The big fight for starts will be between Dempsey and Hernandez.

Discuss------- :cool:

2. MightyRevs

MightyRevs New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Mass
    I honestly dont understand why you would think Dempsey is fighting for a spot. It is not even a question whether or not he will play. Its most likely going to be joseph, hernandez with dempsey playing more attacking. Why would Pepe get the start over Dempsey? He has just not done that much for us this season at all compared to his first season and maybe last year but still last year wasnt amazing.

3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On an SN coached team I do not believe Pepe should ever "expect" to start.

On an SN coached team I'm sorry to say that we should "expect" Franchino to start.

I think he should see if he can get this group to start clicking again:

Reis
    Heaps Parkhurst John
    Ralston Joseph Dempsey Cancela Leonard
    TNT Noonan

If he's going to change it up, he can put Ralston on the left with Phillips on the right.

Anyway, if that group could play like they did early...

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt that we will again see the lineup we fielded during our run at the beginning of the season. When you add Hernandez and a Phillips to the roster it add some additional quality that wasn't there to start the season. How they get intergrated with the origional starting lineup should be interesting----ergo, who sits.

I agree that Pepe may sit in favor of Dempsey at AMF. I also think SN has been trying Phillips at that position as well.

Sure is nice to have a wealth of quality players to choose from.

5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's also the possibility that Phillips will be used as more of a late-game sub, when SN feels the need for speed.

Also, his greatest value may come next summer, assuming any of our players are off in Germany.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my, someone in MLS thinking beyond this seasons problems :D

Seriously, it does seem that the Rev coaching staff do have an eye towards the out years. I'm sure SN would like to build a Rev Dynasty---"The New England Revolution Super Team" winner of_____________. I think I'll stop right there and allow Monty to have a chance to vent a bit. ;)

7. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    I believe Pepe will be on the bench more thanon the field once/if all the players are available.

As people have noted, it can take a while for players new to MLS to have an impact. I think it is worth getting Phillips and continue to give Hernendez significant playing time now with an eye toward peaking for the play-offs (or at least seeing in matches whether the new comers make a difference).

----------- Reis
    Heaps, Parkhurst, John
    ----- Joesph, Hernandez
    Phillips, Dempsey, Ralston
    -------- TnT, Noonan

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my starting eleven.

A few thoughtful questions---
    ~I wonder how many teams in MLS can/have come close to fielding a team as impressive as that?
    ~I wonder, has any team in MLS ever started/will start a game with all of it's players having been Caped?

9. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming, of course, that Panama doesn't make it through :D

Now this may be better in its own thread, but since we are discussing Phillips, did anyone else watch the Costa Rico-Panama match? I have to say that I was not impressed with Phillips in that game. His lack of size showed as he lost possession a few times going to ground. Granted he drew at least two free kicks in the attacking third that I recall, but on at least one occassion I thought he stayed down a bit long hoping for the call. He also had a few chippy tackles committing the foul.

As for position, he did roam laterally both left and right but lined up in the middle of midfield. He seemed to be playing somewhat as a withdrawn forward.

Perhaps this game was not a good one to judge him by. Anyone care to add an opinion based on seeing more of his play?

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SN needs to look at what was working early in the seaon and go back to a modified verson on of that. When Dempsey was playing deeper, then moved up on attack, he was scoring and we were playing much better then we are today. He was dangerous because he was a ble to get open as all the normal marks were taken by the defense. Since he's been moved more forward, he really hasn't set the world on fire or even bee that good.

Go back to what worked early and try to recapture what we had. Let the new people fit where ever they can but get Dempsey deeper

11. hootie

hootie New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    hmmm...why does Cassio come to mind??????????

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO !

Anyone who saw Phillips play against the US in our last WCQ and his play in the Gold Cup would not put these two on the same page.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Phillips makes a huge impression on SN I don;t see him starting when everyone gets back.
    ...................................Reis
    .........Heaps................parkhurst........John/Franchino
    ...................joseph................Hernandez
    Ralston..................dempsey...............Leonard
    .............Twellman............Noonan

or Riley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dempsey................Ralston in the mid
    I think SN goes for the added defensive help Hernandez gives over the offensive creativity that Cancela may provide. Would not even be surprised if Franchino starts at left mid.
    As for myself, not knowing what Philips can do, I would not plug him in as a starter. I would go
    ...................................Reis
    ..........Heaps..............Parkhurst...........John
    ..................Joseph.................Hernandez
    Dempsey..................Cancela...............Ralston
    .............Twellman.................Noonan
    Dempsey on the right side would have the freedom to roam like Ralston seems to have.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you seriously think he's doing less or intends otherwise?

We came out of the gates STRONG but have struggled a bit in midseason due to International CallUps, injury. etc. We are just about to get everyone back, reasonably healthy---and---just added two solid players. SN is in a very exciting position---first place---good schedule---the players who got us there--and---two additional starting level players.

Our lack of depth of real impact players was exposed in midseason with the call-ups. With the addition of Hernandez and Phillips and maybe the maturing of a player like Smith, we are going into the stretch and playoffs with a full roster of players capable of starting and many of playing different positions.

This Rev Team is solid. We may or may not win the Cup but we have all the pieces in place to be considered a top contender---and it has only taken us 10 years to get there. ;)

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Phillips will be off the bench for awhile. It will be interesting to see if he can win a starters slot.

As to Dempsey on the wing-----if I'm not mistaken he's a player who plays best in the middle on the park.

16. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco

exactly.

i have the game on tape....and have yet to watch the whole thing. but, we've had this discussion when phillips was signed. why anyone would pencil him in as a starter (unless nat team callups/injuries make it necessary).....is beyond me.

phillips' game/skills don't exist in a vaccuum.
    it takes time to figure out how he will/won't mesh with the team.
    as we know (yes doc...even in the nicol era!) guys are signed and just don't work out for whatever reason.

that being said...even the mighty mite v3.0 (brillant) got time on the field....but, got worked in. i'd expect no less from phillips.

doc, as mousey seems to think...phillips didn't have a particularly good game this past wknd. you think he had a good game v the us. team chemistry and opp matchups will determine if he'll pan out. not to mention....read the article on mlsnet about assimilating int'ls into mls. at the complete end of the season? i don't think it's a slam dunk that he'll start a game in the month of sept....let alone get an extension that will keep him here next year. only time will tell.

my guess is that the revs took this guy on as a flyer to see what his long term potential would be. i don't think they're going to rush him into the starting 11 with lots of things on the line.

.....since our last little wager ended a draw doc.....bottle of water on phillips starting in the month of sept?
    :)

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the freedom to roam part;)

18. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Didn't Franchino miss the early part of the season due to injury? If so, it's not unreasonable to speculate that returning him to the bench might be necessary if the team is going to regain its form.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely with the above. We've all seen a lot of foreign "saviors" who ended up cut and in fact it's been the exception when a foreign player has come into MLS and do well from the get-go.

I think your bet offer is a not one I would offer but just to show how much of a sport I am---Your On

20. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree here, it's late in the season and there is not lot of time to take it slow. After all we are talking about beating out Joey and Marshall for a outside-mid spot. I don't think that will be a major problem for a veteran international. I say he is in as a sub on Saturday and next week is a starter.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do you want to take part of my action with Reve-ler ?
    :p