Who should host EURO 2020?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Kampfschwein, May 17, 2012.

?

Who should host EURO 2020?

Poll closed May 17, 2015.
  1. Turkey

30.6%
  2. Georgia

14.3%
  3. Scotland/Ireland/Wales

55.1%
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ApproachWithCaution

Dec 16, 2006
    South Wales, UK.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    If the Celtic bid won,there are plenty of decent stadiums that could host matches.

Scotland: Ibrox, Celtic Park, Hampden, Murrayfield and potentially the stadiums of Hearts and Hibs.

Ireland: Aviva Stadium, Croke Park and there is probably at least one currently existing stadium that would only require an upgrade in capacity. Forgive my ignorance of Irish stadia. But there are probably more decent ones there than the ones i know of.

Wales: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium (upgrade required), Liberty Stadium (upgrade required) and possibly The Racecourse Ground. The latter would require a significant upgrade, but it should be easily affordable.

The Celtic nations have friendly and football loving people and most of the infrastructure is pretty much there already. It would also be an interesting and positive experience for foreign visitors. Not many Europeans know much about Wales for instance (other than the fact we have a lot of sheep :p).

Turkey would also be a great host too. But Georgia? Not at all sure about that.

4. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Scotland/Ireland/Wales should definitely host it because:
    1. I'm Irish.
    2. The atmosphere in each country would be electric.
    3. It would be a great location for tourists.
    4. Most of the infrastructure is already there, just needs to be improved and renewed a bit.
    5. The travelling time between Scotland, Ireland and Wales is very short.
    6. We NEVER get to host any tournaments.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    3 hosts? what for nonsens with the current system of seeding-

6. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How is it nonsense? most championships are hosted with two nations, why would an extra one make a difference. besides I don't think you realise how close Ireland, Scotland and Wales actually are. Travelling from Ireland through Wales and then into Scotland would be a shorter distance than travelling from Poland to Ukraine !

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    3 co-hosts would be nonsense if it were still a 16 team tournament but since it will be up to 24 teams I don't see much of an issue.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So we go from 2 host nations in 4 groups to 3 in 6. It was bullshit this way in 2012 despite haveing "decent" teams in Poland and Ukraine, at least better than Wales, Scotland and arguable Ireland and look what that did to the groups B+C.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Who would you like to see host 2020?

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I like Platini's idea to host it all across Europe without seeding host teams.

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have to admit so do I.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just dont like it expanding to 24 teams..part of the charm of the euros is the tough qualification and same good teams being left out, and strong matchups in every group almost.

Time to see a lot more teams play like Greece in 04 or look completely out of their depth like Ireland.....

Dage repped this.
  13. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    are you mad? it would be a disaster, there wouldn't be any 'festival of football' if the tournament is spread out over the continent. How would fans travel to all the games? it would cost a fortune ! it sounds like a good idea until you actually sit down and go through how it would work...it's the worst idea ive heard

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would be a way bigger festival of football.. You can locate each group to a region, e.g. Wales/Scotland/Ireland for group A, Spain/Portugal group B and so on, so fans could travel easily during those garanteed 3 group matches. For the finals traveling won't be a big problem because of the good European infrastructure. You also could let participate little countries with a great football history without harm them in the long way by organize the whole tournament by themselfs.

15. Andrew Willis

Andrew Willis New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Scotland, Ireland, Wales option looks good. Thanks for the poll. It was very interesting.

16. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Think about it, the costs for fans, journalists, photographers, the prices would be raised for hotels and flights. It's hard enough trying to find a hotel nevermind booking one from one country to the next. Also the teams would lose far too much training and preparation time if they are constantly travelling. And lastly from a social aspect, it's good to have 'fan zones' where you can hang out, get drunk and meet fans from other countries.
    The world cup and euros are fine they way they are, no need to change it.

The Potter repped this.
  17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    These points don't sound.

How was this year's Euro cheaper than older ones? It doesn't really make sense that traveling between Wales/Scot/Ireland in the whole tournament is cheaper than travelling the same places in group stages and visiting different places for the final stages. You just can't say that yet. Finals will mostly played in bigger cities with a big tourism industry so that will only make those places cheaper than e.g. Charkow where the accomodations for events like that are rare and therefor expensive. Most parts of Europe have excellent infastructure, flying from London to Madrid costs you ~40€ if you book them early on.

It's also questionable how it would affect teams to travel 6 hours than e.g. 4 hours. Distances like Krakau -> Warschau weren't a big problem for this Euro either. It's not that teams losing 2 days or something by flying from Trondheim to Vienna. Hell they do it week in week out in European club competitions.

Fan zones will be there for sure, also for just one match - at least in Berlin/Germany and I can't see a reason why that shouldn't happen in other cities too. If anything this is more likely because it's much cheaper and easier to organize/handle to have those fan zones just for 2 days than 2-3 weeks. If a city hosts more than a match of the finals than it's not a problem to have fan camps either. That's a question of the organization, not of the location and again to organize an event for 1-2 days is just that easy, which would allow smaller cities to participate in the first place.

To bring the posting to an end all these points are true for the finals, for the group stages and therefor for the majority of the tourney there weren't big changes at all if you locate each group to a speacial area. The need of less stadiums would enable way more areas to participate instead.

18. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Picture this: it's a group decider game and its taking place in the Allianz Arena(germany) and the winner will play their quarter final match in Wembley(england) in two days time. How are fans meant to book these flights early on?? the answer is they wouldn't. therefore airlines and hotels would instantly raise prices of cost. Also this format of tournament would put a stop to fans who rent camper vans and travel around the country in the van with friends to see the games, most young fans choose to rent campervans because its the cheapest and most fun!
    The Champions League & Europa League is already in this format so theres no need for Euro's too

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. kats26

kats26 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Portugal!

20. CareerOfCantona

CareerOfCantona Red Card

Jul 26, 2012
    Marsielle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, I wish it were held in Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, ect). Fools to whoever voted for Turkey, because the Sun's oscillation would make the land even hotter.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  22. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Even though I am of full Irish herritage I would prefer Turkey to host it for several reasons.

They have bid for it four times in a row and only lost out by one point last time round so i hope they get this time round.
    I'm not a big fan of joint bids and more so three teams bidding
    The weather :)
    But I know its a three horse race for the 2020 olympics between Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid so if they get the olympics they won't get the euro 2020

if they don't get it then Ireland/Scotland/Wales

Georgia Azerbaijan is non starter due to

Infustructure
    Transport
    Political Instability in the region.

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    As Biased as I may be, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Stadiums still look the same as in euro 2004. Half of them are empty anyways and will still look the same in 2020. It would be the most cost effective Euro to date. Probably one of the safest country in the world. Who doesn't love going to Portugal in the summer?

24. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    they wanna do a euro 2020 is different european cities but I would like to see a yugoslavian based Euro or a Portugal euro maybe scandanvian

25. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit late for that for 2020, but I think a Scandinavian or Yugoslavian one would be interesting. I don't know how well the Yugoslavian one would work out though.

EDIT: I forgot, but Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina actually put in a bid and withdrew.