Who is the greatest Spanish player of all time?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by jcvf90, May 5, 2010.

1. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And you do not see any connection? do you mind me asking what country are you from?
    thanks

2. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    It's Xavi Hernadez. He is just the best. Without him Spain hadn't won the world cup this year. He's the puppet master in the middlefield.
    look at this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhpEL221Hs&translated=1"]YouTube - Xavi Hernandez - The Best[/ame]

[​IMG]

3. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

There is no doubt, Xavi is at least in the top 3... for me, he is the greatest Spanish player of all time.

4. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    He olvidado: Andres Iniesta!

[​IMG]

5. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    I don't know enough about Spanish football, so I am not sure that I could answer the thread question, but would you say that Andoni Zubizarreta (still the most capped player for the Spanish national team) could also warrant consideration? He was not as successful as Casillas, but was possibly as talented as the current Spanish goalkeeper.

6. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anyone growing up in that era might agree with me when I say that Zubizarreta was one of the reasons we crashed in world cups 86 and 90.
    At least thats my opinion anyway.

7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. I've always blamed him for the Athens '94 debacle as well.

8. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well it's sure as hell not Judas Torres :p

end mini rant

I don't know much about spanish football history but in my lifetime it's Casillas for me. Controversial pick but it's extremely difficult to accurately compare keepers to outfield players.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Hierro has got to be in the top 10

10. aarondebadajoz

aarondebadajoz New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Small Spanish footballer

Has already won his first championship with only 8 years!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRA-x5ot-LU"]YouTube - futbol cristiano ronaldo pequen?o solo 8 an?os Aaro?n[/ame]

11. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Don't forget World Cup 1998 as well.

I think when all is said and done it will be Casillas. I don't think that World Cup run happens without Casillas he made big saves against Paraguay in the quarterfinals. He wasn't as tested against Germany and Portugal (in the round of 16) but there was at least one golden chance in both those games that Casillas handled with ease. Then in the final he somehow managed to stop Arjen Robben twice, TWICE! In one-on-one situations.

And lest we forget, the moment Spain broke their duck was in Euro 2008 after Casillas came up big in a penalty shootout in the quarters against Italy. After that win, Spain was destined to win the tournament, the team played with almost no pressure and finally fulfilled their potential.

The fact of the matter is that Spain will continue to produce great footballers:

El Buitre gave way to Raúl who gave way to Villa

Hierro gave way to Puyol who will give way to Piqué

I am sure there are many more examples.

But the fact of the matter is there has never been a GK as good as Casillas and I don't think there will be another like him for a long, long time. 117 caps, captain for club and country, and he's won everything with the exception of the Copa Del Rey (which he will have another shot at this year).

12. aleixx

aleixx New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The best spanish player is Xavi Hernandez obviously

Raul is overrated player for real madrid fans.

13. Windwarrior

Windwarrior New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Alicante, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Raúl of course has been the best spanish player.
    He hasn´t a title with the National team, but... we only have 3 in our history
    Some great spanish players haven´t a national title like Butragueño, Martín Vazquez, Michel, Luis Suarez, Gento, Juanito.

I think Villa is going to win more statics than Raul in the National team, but Raul´s trophis are a lot.

He is not a Super Scorer Player, he is a team soul. He figths every ball. Wake up his partners when they are fallen... Only look what he did in the Shalke 04....

In adittion to this I must to say that I think He musted to leave Real Madrid some years before

PD Sorry excuse my bad english

PD I like last Redstriker post ;). I think like him

14. Windwarrior

Windwarrior New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Alicante, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I saw Xavi and Guardiola playing at the same time. I have seen them playing alone, and I can say than Guardiola was better player than Xavi is at this time....

Xavi is marvelous, but in Barça he has another phenomenom like Iniesta at his side and He meks Xavi better

15. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Raul.

No argument.

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Of course there's an argument. Outstanding club career, no doubt. But nothing to speak of in Spanish colors. 6 goals in 18 World Cup/EURO finals matches, all those goals scored in group play (none during the knockout rounds). When the going got tough, he never showed up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0zspvvhjZU"]Spain v France : EURO 2000 Quarterfinal[/ame]

17. Windwarrior

Windwarrior New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Alicante, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, we´rnt saying who´s the best foward. We are saying who is the best player.

It´s no necesary to score a lot of goals to be a great player.... Look at Zidane, for me one of the four beast players in history, but he never scores a lot of goals...

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree that it's "not necessary" to be "a great player". My point is blanc says there's "no argument" to Raul being "the greatest Spanish player" and I'm just suggesting that one can be made.
    You're talking about a midfielder (Zidane) whose primary job was not to score goals. But as a forward who has received plaudits for being the all-time leading scorer for both Real Madrid and Spain, Raul's failure of not scoring in the knockout rounds of a major tournament for Spain is an issue that should be brought up if we're going to talk about the greatest Spanish player ever.

19. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Its definitely an issue that should be discussed, but you gotta keep in mind he was pretty much dragging a team that was no where close near the level of the current Spanish team (in terms of talent, maturity, and confidence).

Also, Raul was one of the few bright spots in WC2002 and Euro2004 till he got injured in both and Spain got eliminated.

20. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Raul cant be the best spanish player "ever" because he is a forward.
    Its always midfielders that carry national/club teams to glory.

I do agree that Xavi (my personal favorite) had it better than others just for the simple fact that he is surrounded with world class players all around him.

That said...
    Xavi is so good, not only he dictates the actual game, he also dictates the tempo of the announcers themselves.
    He is so good, when he gets the ball I can feel everyone around him go into slow motion as he matrixes around the field.
    He is so good, we won a world cup.. something I never thought I would live to see.
    He is so good, Messi is useless with out him (look at him with Argentina).

21. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    lol k

22. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Dont get me wrong, Raul is freaking awesome.

He is:
    1- Highest CL scorer of all time.
    2- Highest scorer in madrid (i think?) player of all time
    3- one of the best european forwards (IMO) ever.
    4- 2nd highest scorer for the National team.
    5- Dozens of other records.

Just not the "best spanish player ever".

23. RamonGol

RamonGol New Member

Jun 23, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Always loved Raul as a player and a person, but can't say I'd put him on top of the list. It's kind of like the Most Valuable Award in Major League Baseball in the sense that most of the time the MVP goes to a player who not only excelled, but whose team had great success as well. You don't see MVP players coming out of teams that don't make the playoffs, for instance.

Agreed, Raul did play on great Madrid teams, but on the national level he never did have that immensely gifted midfield to punch holes in defenses and wear them down. I believe that because of the lack of world class talent on those Spanish teams, Raul felt he had to carry the team. That's too much to put on any man. It wears you down mentally and physically.

I have sad memories of Raul chasing after the opponents fullbacks wearing himself out trying to get the ball back for his team while the rest of his teammates stood around and watched. He had to deal with bad coaching, a lack of a defined style of team play, and a defeatest mentality by many of the players and coaches (before Aragones emerged).

The burden of having to carry a team, and a nation that perennially struggled on the world stage helps explain, I believe, his failures in knockout rounds. Too much for one man to have to overcome.

But it is what it is, as they say, and he didn't play with a great supporting cast, and couldn't accomplish that career MVP-type status, which I split between Xavi and Casillas (and maybe even Iniesta, pending future heroics in 2012 Euro and 2014 World).

24. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

If it wasn't for the referees clearly robbing us in 02, Raul *could* have had his world cup :(

25. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    When it comes to great Spanish goalkeepers, you shouldn't forget Ricardo Zamora. Difficult to compare 20s-30s archievements to Casillas' modern day archievements, but Zamora regularly gets ranked among the very best keepers ever, and I believe at his time, he was rated easily as high as Casillas is today.

Otherwise, I'd like to throw Francisco Gento in for good measure. Also one of the greatest ever on his position.