Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So who is expert and what does that mean? :D I base my opinion on what I have seen from Maradona, just like the rest of us.

Cassano (Milan) - "Wasn't happy with Madrid winning Liga, prefer Barça. They have the best player in history and watching them is great fun!"

Ivan Helguera*(ex-Real Madrid) - "For me, Messi is the best player in history,"

Mircea Lucescu*- "I don't think there ever has been or will be a phenomenon like Messi. He's even better than Pele."

Domenico Criscito*- "Messi = alien of football!! An extraordinary player.. The best of all times!"

Ferrer (ex-Barcelona -Chelsea): "I played with Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Laudrup and Stoichkov but Messi is the best I've seen"*

Osvaldo Ardiles - "There is a natural evolution and players today are just getting better. Messi is by far the best."

Osvaldo Ardiles - "I played with Maradona for 7 years. I thought I'd never see another player like that but I have to say Messi is better."

Bernd Schuster*(1xSilver Ball, 2xBronze ball) - "Messi is the best player I have seen in my life."

Gary Neville*- "Playing without striker allows Messi, greatest player of modern times and arguably all-time, to find weakest link in any defence."

Ray Hudson: - "Greatest football player I've ever seen, and certainly one of the most fabulous footballers in the history of the game, in my opinion, the greatest ever."

John Terry: - “My kids love him. They both have Barcelona shirts with his name on the back and they like the fact I swapped shirts with him after one of our previous games… It’s a pleasure because when you finish and look back – and the guy’s still going to be going strong – you’ve tested yourself against the best. And, quite clearly for me, he’s the best ever. He’s a great individual, a great person as well and a credit to the sport. For me, he’s got everything. He is magical. “

Adriano Galliani (vice-president Milan):*"Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play."

Gary LINEKER: “Fella’s a genius! Best ever by a distance in my life time! Never really saw Pele [...] Wait til he grows up! SOUNESS, GULLIT, VENABLES and now ROONEY agree MESSI is the best they have seen. He plays a game to which we are not familiar.”

Tom Huddlestone - ”Is messi the best ever?? Best I've seen”

Arsene Wenger – Who's the best player in the world? ”Lionel Messi.” Who's the best player of all time? ”Lionel Messi.”

Roy Keane (ex-ManUtd): "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good, but Messi is the best I've ever seen"

Mike Gibbons. - "Messi is Maradona meets Gerd Muller."

Rudi Voller: ”Messi is now in the same league as Pele and Maradona”

WayneRooney ”Messi is a joke. For me the best ever. ”

Michael Owen ”Not old enough to see some of the greats but I can't believe anyone can have played the game of football as well as Messi. ”

Jose Luis Chilavert*- "Messi is the best, he is better than Maradona," he affirmed. "At Messi's age, Maradona had not won not even 1 percent of what Messi has won."

Ray Hudson*(on Messi) - "The most complete footballista I've ever seen."

Carlos Bianchi*- Barcelona's Lionel Messi is better than Diego Maradona and Pele

"A few days ago I did a talk for a business and a Brazilian asked me in the middle of the conference who I considered the best footballer in history, Maradona or Pele. I answered that, with all due respect to those two, right now I see Messi as superior to everyone,"

"There have been excellent footballers that weren't able to play in great national teams to prove their class. Moving on from everything that has happened or will happen when he puts on the Argentina jersey, Messi confirms every week that he is capable of doing things that nobody else has managed in the history of football."

Ossie Ardiles - “I would now say that Lionel Messi will go down in history as the No.1 player of all time, the best that there ever was,"

Graeme Souness - "I think he might be the best player that has ever played the game, given that he's 23... He's best around, and I've played against Maradona many times, some people say that Maradona was better, but I disagree.

Gerry Armstrong (on Messi) - "I know what it's like to score against Barcelona, but end up losing 4-1. My first goal in Spanish league was against Barcelona. Unfortunately a certain Diego Maradona was in the side for Barcelona and he just took control and they beat us 4-1.

Look at this little man, well, I think he's better than Maradona, I think he better than anybody I've ever seen."

None of the are qualified to talk Maradona/Messi? None of them are experts? None of their opinions are valid?

Such a pointless discussion.

2. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    I'm not interested nor do I care what the opinion of others is when comparing players from different eras. That's something that you can continue to indulge in since it's not important to me.

My issue with you is what makes you qualified to expertly speak about Maradona? You are the one that entered this forum as if you were very well-informed about his career. But who are you, Cesar Luis Menotti?

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where did I say I'm the right or wrong expert to talk about Maradona? I only answered to Manolos assumption, that people who saw Maradona play, will say he was better. Well I saw Maradona play live many times, but for me Messi is already better.

4. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    You still aren't paying attention: we are going in circles. I don't care about your opinion, nor do I care about anyone's opinion on this forum. But you intervened in this topic and cut the traffic as if you are the one qualified to rebuttal anyone's opinion - so, you put yourself in a position to refute another individual’s opinion as if you are more qualified than others on this forum, since you have claimed to have watched from the age of 8-years-old this player. In other words, you have more rights than others here. But now that I questioned your competence, you are deviating around the corner. Bottom line: you are not qualified to judge Maradona.

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, reading comprehension disorder much? Try reading my post/s again.

And after that I've just answered to people quoting me.

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Like I said, by drawing comparisons, and trying to refute others, you put yourself in a position to pass judgment as if you were qualified - which clearly you have admitted after I questioned your competence that you are not.

If you did not like what other people said to you, you should just have not responded. Because you are not going to convince anyone that disagrees with you, just like no one will convince you to change your mind.

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you on drugs? Ofcourse I will give my opinion if people quote me, and have an opinion that I disagree. Welcome to the message board of type discussion about football.

8. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    But who cares about your opinion, since you are not qualified to speak about this player?

The reason why I responded to you, is because I wanted to know your knowledge about this player (since you claimed you knew what you were talking about) and that era - which may have been beneficial in contributing to the history of football on this forum. But since your knowledge is nil, case closed!

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And why should I then care about that?

Oh so now my knowledge is nil, that really told me lol.

10. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Look, I’m not questioning your rights to your opinion, that’s something very personal, which I tend to not get involved in. But I did want to know your level of knowledge and experience of this player, since it may have helped to contribute real history to the forum. But you clearly are not qualified in my view, so your assessment of him is not admissible on this forum.

11. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, I don't really give a damn about your evaluation of me, because you know nothing of me. For me you are like a young guy who is pretending to be someone with reason and trying too hard to be someone with authority. But I can see through you like I see sun through space. And I'm sure you give a damn about my opinion of you now lol.

12. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Let me recap the exchange. I am emphasizing in bold the portions of your responses that are provocative and hopefully demonstrate why a number of people are annoyed with you. Note that I (and others) respectfully state that I am expressing my opinion based on my personal taste and perception of others' opinions. I never state anything as an established fact that cannot be disproved. Whereas you state things that are dubious opinions as if they are acknowledged fact. This is subtle, but it's a recipe for making a target of yourself on a message board of rabid soccer fanatics.

Dubious opinion stated as acknowledged fact.

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes they are subjective opinions, just like yours, shock and horror.

14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I have a proposition...it may take some time and effort but it might be fun. You are correct, it is the video age and there's tons of Messi footage available. But thanks to people converting their VHS videos to YouTube, there's also tons of Diego footage available.

For every amazing dribble, pass or goal that Messi has scored, I (or others) can find a very similar one that Diego did first. I don't have a GIF creator but I can figure it out, if it's something that you're up for ;).

BTW I love Messi and I think he will end up widely acknowledged as 3rd best player ever. I believe Pele will always possess an iconic status due to the time period in which he played, which was when soccer was becoming widely available on radio and film, and his name is synonymous with "best soccer player ever". I also believe nobody will be able to match Maradona's 1986 World Cup performance, which fair or unfair, is how many players' legacies are crystallized.

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure, I know already you are going to loose, but it will be fun. Lets start with the whole team cutting, perfectly weighted throughball:

[​IMG]

16. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Some of them are only documented in articles or captured on photos - but not on video - particularly at Argentinos juniors. [I know this because they are in my possession in my archive of magazines of that time].

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I'm gonna have trouble choosing ;). What's your GIF creator software?

We should really start a new thread for this.

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Vegan10 - check YouTube. There is tons and tons of Diego footage available. There are also full matches from the World Cup and Napoli Serie A and UEFA Cup matches. For his early days at Argentinos Juniors and Boca Juniors, full matches are hard to find, but there's tons of clips and compilations.

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I use virtualdub (free) for videoediting and GIF Movie Gear (non free) for transforming.

I would also like to see this move, aka dribble-ride tackles-perfect throughball-move :)

[​IMG]

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Slalom penetration through parked bus-move?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Exactly. And that's why you will be cut short of at least 100 goals that have never surfaced but which is well-documented in magazines/newspapers (El Grafico, Goles, etc.) which is in my possession. Some of these goals were rated at that time as the top in the season by Argentinian experts. Even at Barcelona, Napoli, Sevilla, many things were never recorded. It is a disadvantage when you want to compare it with someone in an era that has everything scrutinized and on film.

22. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
  23. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Halfwayline dribble, top corner from 20+ yards-move