Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it still isn't proof that Ronaldo is better then anyone.

The above shows that your views are simply not met by stats alone. That's what i read above.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldo played seven seasons in full against eighteen by Romario. Had Ronaldo played as long as Romario his GPG average undoubtedly comes down. Also, your numbers are wrong for Romario in Brazil. Another mistake, Romario only played in seven matches at the WC, plus less than 10 minutes in WC90. Yet another, Romario has more than 2 assists at the Copa America.

Ultimately, Romario scored over twice as many goals as Ronaldo and also won over twice as many team trophies.

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly you can present a long list of trophies from here to China. If 90% of those titles are individual honouring and consolation titles by magazines and such it won't impress serious people.

The difference between Ronaldo's long list and Romario long list is that while Ronaldo has more consolation awards (voting titles) Romario has more real football titles like top scorer and league championship titles.

Ronaldo: 3 top scorer titles in league football
    Romario 8 top scorer titles in league football

Ronaldo: 1 single league championship title
    Romario 6 league championship titles.

So these guys they failed yet another comparison. And they don't care cause they keep coming for more defeat.

@Dagoods

4. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ronaldo earned his place in the team!
    the CBF were afraid that if given the chance R9 would take the 94 WC by storm!
    Rivaldo and R. Carlos were left home!

truth be told: MVB is ranked higher than Romario. The Dutch was forced to retire at age 29. Ronaldo despite all his injuries also surpassed Romario. It didn't matter that Romario played till the age of 40+ - his impact in the game pales in comparison. O Fenomeno (prime) is the best footballer to have graced a football pitch since Maradona!

5. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Wrong, in his press conference he said the following: "RM wanted me to stay.."
    but he left because he didn't get along with Capello.

However, Capello admits that R9 is the best footballer he's ever coached!
    go figure!

I never said he played for MILAN. I said that some little rule prevented R9 from playing, thus, winning the UCL!

6. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    By the way have you checked this offical stats of the best goal scorers in history?

http://www.rsssf.com/players/prolific.html

Ronaldo doesn't even show on the list. And the list is long!

Romario is second best in both categories. Even above Pele. So you better educate yourself on football stats before making noise.

7. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Romario never won the European golden shoe
    R9 did!
    Romario never won the WC golden shoe…
    R9 did!
    Romario never won the Copa America golden shoe either (top scorer)
    R9 did!

R9 won 2 league titles…
    More personal awards
    and more international trophies!

Romario who?

8. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    There are many flaws here. Just point some of them:
    1- Why only take in count assists when it make Ronaldo look better? At La liga, for Barcelona:
    Ronaldo - 37 games - 34 goals (3 PK)/10 assists
    Romário - 33 games- 30 goals( no PK)/14 assists
    2- Romário did not play 9 games in WC.
    3- As usual for a R9 fan, you forget to mention UCL numbers:
    Romário - 32 games/20 goals = 0.62 GPG
    Ronaldo- 40 games/14 goals = 0.35 GPG
    3- Copa América has been used to put up Ronaldo. And he was really great in CA97. However, I think you definitely know that Romário was the best player on the field against Maradona´s Argentina and Francescoli´s Uruguay in CA89. Ronaldo, on the other hand, won Copa América playing against a lot of Squads B in CA97( Paraguay, México and Bolívia were the exceptions). So, even if he had better numbers in CA, I can not remember Ronaldo beating any legendary latin american side in CA.

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is not how it went down. Ronaldo was endrosed by Romario to Parreira. The source of this can be found easily on the internet. I know this and most members of bigsoccer have confirm this many months ago. You weren't even on this thread. But go back to Romario vs Ronaldo thread and read those post and you'll find the source for this.

Romario asked Parreira to include Ronaldo because Romario didn;t want to play with Bebeto in the beginning. Parreira took Ronaldo as a reserve to give him experience by watching and participating in training. You cannot contest me in this cause this was my favourite WC of all times in which I have followed close by. It was all over the news. If you know Portuguese then watch this video in which they interview almost all the important players and managers of NT94 including Ronaldo and he himself states his reason for being there, so go tell you fake stories to some other kid in the neigbourhood but not me for I wasn't born yesterday:

And there's another thing you do not know. Something that R9 himself acknowledged openly in the press. R9 tied up Romario laces in the changing rooms every time Romario went on the pitch in WC94. If you do not believe me ask anyone here including James. R9 tied up Romario boots laces to show him respect as a mentor. Later R9 himself stated in the media that Romario was one of the most important mentors in his live and that much he knows he learned from Romario. This is something you do not seem to know. Go and look it up on the internet

@Pipiolo

10. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Yeah, only ROmario played in the Brazilian league for most of his career and didn't end up having 5 knee surgeries!
    Yes that's a very fair comparison...

11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Romario won WC golden ball. That is way more important then golden shoe.
    Romario won Copa America by scoring the cluch goal (a header) against Uruguay. (arc rivals)
    Romario won Champions League top scorer twice! Ronaldo never won anything in UCL.
    Romario won 6 league titles, that swallows Ronaldo one single league title.
    Personal awards aren't more important then team awards since football is a team sport Romario wins here.
    Romario won his single contested WC. he needed one chance and didn't disappoint.

Romario needed only won WC to win it. Ronaldo needed three world cups to win one!

Ronaldo who?

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    R9 didn't play in Europe (UCL) until 1999 after he qualified Inter the year prior mind you. By then his injury saga began. In other words, we never saw the real Ronaldo take on the top teams. Had he been fit, he would have dominated the tournament like he did the UEFA Cup! Surprisingly, he was named UEFA Footballer of the Year. The award didn't go to a UCL winner but Ronaldo the main reason why Inter won the 1998 UEFA Cup!

13. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not agreeing with your questionable opinion = never saw R9 play in his prime. Solid logic.

I remember how Nesta owned R9 more than once. Can you please show me any video, in which pre-injury R9 completes a great dribbling run against any of these teams -- Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina?

That's curious. I am working on videos for both Ronaldo and Romario, and I think the Romario video is more enjoyable due to the simple reason that Romario offered a wider variety of abilities. So when you say that "videos" show what you perceive to be a "clear difference" between the two -- I just have absolutely no idea about whatever it is you are speaking about?

R9's goals are all rather similar; Romario's goals are all considerably different -- the videos clearly show this, and why did R9, if he indeed was the more gifted player, only scored similar goals? It's just odd how R9 was faster, bigger, stronger, better vision, better control, yet could only score a very particular type of goal; odd isn't it? And Romario who was slower, smaller, weaker, had less vision, had worst control, yet could score a wider variety of goals.

It simply is questionable -- what is the logic? What is the logic of a player who supposedly had "better ball control" yet never, not once, in his career scored a goal by using a "sombrero" skill?

Romario, Baggio, Le Tissier -- they all scored goals by using sombrero skills. Maradona and Ronaldinho created goals by using sombrero skills. Yet, R9 who had better ball control than Romario can only score two types of goals: high speed runs, and powerful low shots, and that is it. I'm sorry to say this to you, but having great "ball control" often means that you can score goals or create goals in a variety of ways -- R9 did not offered variety, he either scored goals or created goals by using his speed, his speed, which often surpassed his actual ball control if you actually knew just how many times R9 lost control of the ball when running at speed.

Anyways, consider this my last response to you. Have a good day, sir.

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pele never sat foot in Europe but he's the greatest footballer in history. So what's your point?

Romario played 7 years in Europe and still managed to win more league titles then Ronaldo did in 15 years in Europe. So actually you are self-defeating yourself here.

Ronaldo 15 years in Europe he won one single league title and 3 top scorer titles
    Romario 7 years in Europe he won 4 league titles and 6 top scorer titles

So you lost this debate mate. Any thing you throw at us bounces back to hit your face.

How long must we go around in circles before you realise that your wasting your time here?

15. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ronaldo won a Copa America while playing in Bolivia - no excuses!
    We never saw the best R9 take part in the UCL.
    again you are mistaken, R9 won two league titles.
    Both count IMHO
    Romario also played in the 1990 WC. Did you forget about that one?
    And the entire nation of Brazil wanted him in the 2002 squad. Poor Felipao was almost lynched when he said NO ROMARIO! I will put my faith in R9! And it paid off ;)

16. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Yeah but the Brazilian league was a lot more competitive back in Pele's days!
    Yes, because he was part of a great team. R9 had to carry his teams, yes even the Galacticos!
    again you're wrong or perhaps in self-denial R9 won two league titles!
    UEFA CUP & CUP WINNERS CUP - two international cups at club level that Romario never won!

lost this debate? No, look around you! And you will clearly see R9's influence outside your door.
    Romario's influence? He was just another name…R9 on the other hand, left a mark in this game!

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. it is true that he lost ball control. I have seen and will find to post later this video of R9 in Brazil's NT97 shows how R9 loses the ball while trying to explode and give a maze run. There was no defender and no pressure on him he just lost the ball all on his own. Video pending.
    2. @Dagoods Ronaldo never did sombrero skills, never score many goals with the head, never scored many freekicks, never scored many one two toach games, never performed the "cola de Vaca" 180 degre trun with his back against the defender. The list goes on. Ronaldo had speed and power. That is all he had to offer. And that is exactly the sensational skills you guys love so much. That's why you love R9 so much and there's nothing wrong with that. But calling R9 more skillsful and technical is not based on keen observation really. Either you are arguing for the sake of arguing or you just cannot stand to lose and argument like our friend James. There is no point debating here when you clearly showed you do not know what you are talking about. How can you watch a video of Romario and see sombrero, 180 degree turn and goal, Chips over goalie, clinical trap and toe poach. And still think that R9 was more diverse then him? Are you making yourself to believe in what you wish for.

The eyes sees what he chooses to see. Wishful thinking.

18. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    If you had seen R9 in his prime you wouldn't be asking for video evidence…
    No sombrero goal? As in chipping the ball over the head of the keeper?

1:15-1:18

19. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    2. I've seen r9 pull of Elasticos and some "Neymar" moves during his time in Barcelona.
    Also he pulled off some Garrincha dribble where he left the defender sitting on the ground begging for mercy!

20. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Had R9 remained healthy we wouldn't be talking about Messi and most definitely Romario would be an after thought, oh wait, that's exactly what he is right now!

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The CBF was desperate for a WC win after nearly a quarter century without one. The reason Ronaldo did not play at all in WC94 is because he was deemed good enough then by the coach (Parreira), who is the one who makes the call.

Yeah, but we don't know if AC Milan still wins the CL if Ronaldo plays. Maybe then they lose to Celtic and Ronaldo doesn't get to win it either.

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But he didn't remain healthy and while still a great player, is not to be considered top ten or greater than Romario.

23. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did I ever questioned R9 in Copa America? Sorry but I am lost here.

R9 never won two league titles and never won two WC.

In 2007 R9 already left so do not give him credit for he never got the medal handed to him!

And in WC94 he sat on a bench for the entire tournament. He never played!

Yes but Romario just came from an injury and played no more then 65 minutes vs Scotland.

If you blame Ronaldo's failure for his injuries then you should grant Romario failure in WC90 for his injuries too! The rule must be applied to both!

Romario was left out of Brazil in 2002 while he was 36 years old mate. have a heart. The man was already beyond retirement age. Do not commit the mistake like James does by comparing a young fit Ronaldo to an old crook of Romario in 2002. And by the way Scolari left Romario for disciplinary reasons. Not tactical nor technical. Again, do your homework before questioning many of us here who have been debating about this Ro-Ro topic for ages now. All the things you mentioned have been refuted and dealt with long time ago by many members here. You came really a bit late to this old topic. And to be fair, James was the only R9 fan still arguing with the majority here on R9 matters. Until you came along today. Can't you see that all the things you mentioned we had already an answer for them? We have been through test and trial many times before on Ronaldo vs Romario topic and it's a bit old now.

Let me make your life easy. If you are receptive and open enough read my lips. Bobby Robson a legendary manager stated in his autobiography that Romario and Ronaldo belonged to the same class. One was king in the box and the other was king on long distance. That's all about it. There's no such thing as who is the best here but it comes down to personal preference. When you see me arguing with James it;s not because I thin R9 is rubbish because he isn't. But I do so to stop James from doing what you are doing right now. That is bashing on a Romario is is no less then Ronaldo. Hit the books tonight and I will listen to you tomorrow.

24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow you are clueless. Two things,

I specifically said "pre-injury Ronaldo" -- therefore, by principle, whatever post-injury R9 did does not apply.

But most importantly -- chipping the ball over the keeper is not, I repeat, is not, a "sombrero".

A "sombrero" is very simple -- chip the ball over an opponent, trap the ball at the other end, and continue the run. Pre-injury R9 never did such a thing, not once, as far as I've seen, and I've seen a considerable number of his games. Post-injury R9 is not that much better in that respect, as I don't remember him offering much variety either.

Please try to make sure you understand what a "sombrero" is before making a complete idiot of yourself. Have a good day, sir.

NOTE

Had R9 remained healthy his technical deficiencies would have not changed at all -- the man had no variety to his game, and when good defenders properly contained his favorite trick he didn't knew what to do, as he showed plenty of times against big and small teams. Messi is a better player, and the same would be true even if R9 never damages his knee.

Pipiolo repped this.
  25. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    DIDA didn't play in the 2002 WC either. Does this mean that he's not worthy enough of a winner's medal? As far as I know, he's a WC winner and rightfully so. R9 didn't get a chance to play but he did make the team over many Brazilian talents and that speaks volumes of his talent!

Not very likely! He performed well in Serie A in 07. Only Totti had better goal/assist ratio than R9 and that was his career year. Also, R9 didn't play as a ST he played behind the ST.

Great performances!

and according to Maldini:

In the 06/07 season Milan won the Champions League, but Ronaldo could not play, because he previously played in this competition for Real Madrid. This do not means that he don’t helped his team to win, as said Paolo Maldini with his phrase “We won Champions League thanks to Ronaldo”. The defender cited the mental support given by Ronaldo as many important to the conquest.

http://aartefutebol.blogspot.com/2012/09/ronaldo-phenomenon.html