Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If standing still in the box is what you think 25+Romario did then you must have seen a different guy.

Standing still in the box was more of 35+Romario. I know for I have and still watch most full matches of him. In PSV he never stood still in the box. He ran all over the place. Aks Puck if you do not believe me. Cruyff gave Romario a lot of freedom and he changed his style from playing deep (PSV) to be more boxed up (Barca and thereafter). But from 1986-1993 he was not confined in the box.

Even though as a striker he ran less then the average centre forward, he was like "standing still in the box"

You take things to the extreme. You message gets lost on translation. The way you put it seems as if the man never left the box. I have got many many full matches of Romario. And I can assure you that he came down out of box to midfield more then what you imply here.

But as a side note, if standing still in the box to score when he can made him scored twice as many goals as any striker (incl. R9) then it only means that he was even better then what you think. If i was a manager and had to choose between a striker who could score so many goals while standing still and another striker who had to sweat 90 minute to score less, then you can bet which one I as a manager will sign up.

The man scored more goals then anybody (incl. Pele) without even training and running. That is a feat to take your hat off.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Here is Romario's Best XI ALL TIME (before WC2010?)

NOTES"
    - Pele was nowhere near his team, as he would even select Baggio, Laudrup or archrival Maradona but Pele
    - about Ronaldo behind him: " Ronaldo is the best after me" (LOL typical Romario)

[​IMG]

3. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are right there about ronaldos playing style before and after his injuries..but i prefered ronaldo when he was running full speed before his injuries.. Thats why he was so great to watch in my opinion

greatstriker11 repped this.
  4. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But in my teenage years my favourite brazilian forward was careca.. I know romario was more technically gifted but careca is a little bit underrated.. Fast , direct, great touch, great finisher, great with his head and he could also be highly technical and play with flair and skill when it was needed... I remember franco baresi in an interview when he said the one striker that used to give him sleepness nights was careca because he was so hard to contain..

5. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Careca was underrated indeed. But so are Laudrup, Baggio, Romario, to name a few. Yes, Romario and Baggio and Rivaldo are underrated. Some here may say "no" they aren't but I say if they weren't then why is it that these aforementioned players seldom make it in top 10 lists in 90% of the time? And this shows that the majority of lists by popular magazines and tabloids are biased toward sensational and hyped players to keep subscribers.

Draw any popular all time lists and you will see that the aforementioned names seldom make it into top 10. And defenders not even top 20!

Football is a subjective business driven by irrational fans. Yes, the overwhelming majority of fans are irrational and too emotional to pass judgement based on facts. It's more like going with the stream in order to be accepted in a group. Peer pressure and social control is what makes some players into legends and others forgotten all together.

We only praise strikers and forwards. But we seldom praise or make a hype of defenders. @Guigs made a good comment on defenders under appreciation a while ago. I agree 100% with him that the defenders have a greater contribution to a teams ranking on a table. The prevention of conceding a goal against, acquires a team more points on the ranking table than from scoring an actual goal. Odd, but true.

How often do we debate about Maldini, Baresi, Koeman, Roberto Carlos or Beckenbauer?

@Pipiolo

6. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be honest I've never really experienced Brazilians refer to themselves as Latins in an inclusive "us" meaning us plus hispanic countries kind of way. They always seemed to stand on their own and were proud to do so. And on occasion would be mad when being xonfused for a spanish speaking country. The whole "we are latinos we stand together" mentality is something I've only really encountered amongst spanish speaking countries of latin america.

7. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh yeah and @greatstriker11 I never said world cup 98 was better than 94, I said it was the best one I've seen with an ability to formulate a valid opinion. I did see world cup 94, but was too tiny to know what was really happening, rewatching games 19 years later is still hard to compare world cups because you miss the whole anticipation and atmosphere of it. If I was old enough to understand what I was seeing 94 I'm sure I'd rank it higher than 98 (based on what the other posters are saying)

8. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is nothing but one of your colourful decoys to appear neutral on Ro-Ro. I won't fall in your rhetoric tricks anymore. You are anything but neutral since you criticised Romario blatantly calling him a box player. Which is utterly stereotype! What if i call Ronaldo a marketing boy, would that not be stereotypical?

The truth is, you, like many R9 fans have only seen Romario at Barca 93/94, WC94, and a few matches of older Romario in Brazilian league. That ain't no good representation of the player. You have missed his heydays. The fast nimble player that played deep and was electrifying. You have not seen Romario 86-93. A few matches here and there won't make you qualify to pass judgement on him.

And oddly, even though you are a R9 fanboy, i need to inform you that I have seen more of R9 then you have. I am 37 which is the same age as him. I grew up watching him since 93! And I haven't missed one single match of him from PSV to Corinthians. Not only have I watched all his matches but i have seen him life in person in the Netherlands at the dawn of his European career. You have not!

I was in the stadium to see R9 score his backheel goal against Vitesse. Have you?

I still hold the torn entry ticket of this match!

So next time you challenge me with Ro-Ro make sure you do your homework cause waving colourful posters like fanboy usually do and posting long lists of cherry picked stats won't cut it for me. Perhaps some other gullible and ill informed chap but not me.

So far for over a year i have seen from your part no evidence but cherry picking R9 best vs R11 worse.

And when someone confronts you with R9 worse side you will never show the decency to respond or acknowledge and say "you made a point there". Also dodging the direct questions when the heat is on. Bad loser!

9. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Good point.. I guess defenders are not praised as highly because there job is to stop great players and we all love to see goals and moments of magic in attacking play.. Defenders are not as aesthetically pleasing on the eye as the skilful attackers... But i appreciate great defenders kohler, baresi, maldini etc.. I guess that defenders are like drummers in great bands.. The most important members- but the singer and the guitarist get all the praise ! If you get what i mean ! Lol

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just read about that in Wiki. You are damn right about that. They tend to exclude themselves from the remaining Latin American cultures. Interesting and odd, but true nonetheless. But it's not only Brazil who does this, French Guyana also exclude themselves from latin America. It might be that there's a blurred but existing line between Hispanic and non-hispanic latin american cultures?

11. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I never understood why french guyana wasn't included in latin America, they speak french, and french is a latin language..right?
    When I was in Brazil I sensed a closer relation to the US than with other hispanic countries I habe been to. With the slave trade, they also have really big malls reminescent of ones you'd find in the US. The beach culture is more similar to miami or california than it is to say..Mexico for instance. I don't think its a blurred line between hispanic and brazilian I just think that the similarities are just as equal between Brazil and the US and Brazil and El Salvador or Brazil and Germany. And brazilians know this and like to distinguish themselves as unique. If you stop a brazilianon the street tthey'd say they are brazilian, if you stop a colombian they could say they are hispanic or colombian.

12. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No problem mate. i can say the same for WC90. I watched it and do remember Argentine players crying for losing to Germany. I remember Cannigia and Maradona in WC90. And Toto Schillaci and all. I remember it rained on the final match. But i never really understood what was going on footballistically. I knew Maradona was praised as a God but didn't know why. Hahaha.

WC94 was my first WC I followed with fair knowledge of the game since I was 17 and played amateur Club football in Arnhem (Netherlands) and knew the tactics and psychology of the game. So you can say that WC94 was my first girlfriend (analogy) while WC90 was my first crush (naive). And no wonder Romario and his NT94 were my heroes. My father speaks only Spanish to us and my mother only Dutch to us. So watching the WC94 from TVE (Spanish TV) and Dutch TV simultaneously made me see how different culture saw the same event. And I can guarantee you that it feels different. In the Netherlands commentators never shout and exclaim loudly "GOAL!". Instead they just announce shortly "goal". Sometimes a goal may even go by without being announced entirely, either the commentator forgot or simply didn't feel like mentioning it. Watching football in Dutch TV is the most boring thing you will ever do. @PuckVanHeel ??? But I am glad to be half Spanish so I know how Latin Americans feel when that goal gets everyone including the commentator into a hysterical state of mind.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  13. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I lived in the states for some years. I lived for 2 years in Miami. Then spend half a year in Denver (Colorado). But I have been everywhere from Chicago to San Diego. But I have never been to Brazil. So i do not have to experience of seeing the Brazilian culture in their home to know how much they lack the Latin American vibe or how much they resemble the Yanks. But I read comments of Brazilians stating the same things you do. So i trust your points above. Stange how Brazil looked up to the USA while politically they are divide. Yanks need visa to travel as tourist to Brazil and vice versa! Odd but true.

14. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah I do have one memory of the 94 world cup that is more intu mate then all of yours! I remember the world cup just ended, my dad was driving down venice blvd in los angeles, it must have been 8 pm or so, it was dark out. And we drive past this spot called ZABUMBA on overland and venice and my dad said its where all the brazilian soccer team was celebrating. I look over and see a hundred brazilian soccer jerseys and remember thinking I saw romario. In hindsight it was probably just a bunch of fans lol. I wonder if we can look up where the team celebrated after

15. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Luckily My first world cup was 82 .. I thought you were older mate !

16. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that is way back in 94. And not much in terms of internet to keep records of when and where the Brazilian crowd gathered except for personal anecdotal like yours. Sad you lived in LA and not witnessed the final match in Pasadena so close. Your father should have bought you an entry ticket mate! I know, it's not easy to get a ticket.

But I turned down an offer from a friend to go to Rio this Summer. Just had a bad feeling about this. I do not think it will end nicely as planned. After all the hysteria and riots the people took to the streets I do not feel comfortable going there. If Brazil loses on home soil you can count on it that some people will be burning tires and blaming the government for anything. Especially with the economical stagnation the country is facing and the excess in public spending on unfinished stadiums etc. Beware what you wish for the old man said. I tell you they are in for another Maracanaso type of violence. I do not want that to happen, but I see it coming.

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's you age then?

18. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    40 !

19. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A very young 40 by the way !!

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    mate i am turning 38 next month. So we are the same generation.

So far we both have seen 5 to 6 WC in our lifetime?

21. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2014 will be the 10th world cup of my lifetime !!! Scary.. But no grey hairs as yet !! Lol

22. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Careca!!!

23. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1978, 1982, 1986,1990,1994, 1998,2002, 2006 and 2010 have happened in our lifetimes mate ! So i can remember 8 tournaments clearly !

24. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My video player isnt working on my phone ! I couldnt view the videos people posted yesterday.. I ll be treatin myself to a top range samsung on tuesday !! I ll be back to view it mate

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It doesn't. The chart just shows that support (therefore also resources) is for foreign clubs in many countries. Foreign clubs from the bigger leagues. That's sad.

But you're right; the interest in Netherlands for foreign leagues is low.
    http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/02/09/18/26/2091826_DOWNLOAD.pdf
    Same document, page 42 this time.

That is a good thing. That support doesn't go to foreigners.