Who is the bigger flop, Andy Carroll (Liverpool) or Torres (Chelsea)?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gameson, Dec 5, 2011.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And calling for someone to take out his knees (from the safety of your computer) isn't?

Call him what ever names you want, not bothered. I'll just call him the best player in the league.

2. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude/Mate/Chum/Bro-ski, lemme tell you, if I were an opposing player playing against him after the Patrice Evra stuff, not only would I slide-tackle him and make sure to take his knee out I'd also make sure to dig in a cleat in the side of his calf as a calling card, just to let him know who hit him.
    He has no integrity as a professional ad doesn't deserve to wear the same shirt as a Steven Gerrard, a players player.
    As I said, Suarez is a little b!tch and deserves to be treated like one.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #153 EruditeHobo, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Look... Suarez has a ********ing screw loose. On some level he's a maniac, it cannot be denied. But seeing the rampant hypocrisy of this whole saga has been so enlightening about just how dumb people can be with regards to sports. I mean, really think about this for a minute, think about what you're saying -- you're calling for a vicious slide tackle that targets his knees in an attempt to do huge damage and hamper his effectiveness for months to come, if not ruin his career entirely. And this injury-inducing tackle is a response to what, exactly? An action by Suarez that, insane though it may have been, in the end didn't even leave a mark on Ivanovic, an action for which he sat out 10 matches. Why is the slide tackle something that he deserves for a stupid bite, which again was idiotic, that did basically nothing? I mean... seriously, think about what you're saying. It's wildly hypocritical, and wildly stupid. What you think should happen to him, that someone should purposefully injury him hoping for lasting repercussions, is so, so much worse than what Suarez did that it jeopardizes any argument you ever make in the future IMO. Like, I don't ignore people, and I might ignore you because of how stupid what you just said was. That's how hypocritical and awful your line of thinking is. Just really, really bad. On any side of the fence, anyone that roots for injuries in sports is kind of a douche. So, you know. Try not to be a douche.

The racism thing, as a fan it does bother me a bit if it's actually true and he is a bigot, but it's total he said-he said situation. Honestly I'm not sure what to think, the FA bungled that whole thing and it's just such a bizarre circumstance... and frankly, looking at the tape and really comparing it to Evra's testimony, which is something I doubt you have done, and something I doubt many/most that have strong opinions on this have done, Suarez's version of events makes more sense to me than Evra's. If what Evra's saying is true, then he acted very, very weirdly. His actions during the play in question don't add up to what he said happened. Suarez's statements add up to what I see on the videotape, and basically that means he used an expression that is lost in translation to English and Americans.

Whatever. Back on topic, Carroll and Torres both suck. But at least LFC got some money back. And even though Torres had an improved year last season, in reality they are both are gigantic flops. The difference is Chelsea's still forking over 175k a week or whatever it is.

4. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be short in my response here because I don't wanna bore people that read these threads.
    I don't believe that, in regards to racism, people just get worked up over nothing if it is nothing so your excuses for Saurez are pathetic.
    Your line of thinking is exactly why the sport (soccer) in Europe and the U.K still lags behind by about 100 years the issues we've had and addressed in this (the U.S) country.
    In regards to percieved racist remarks, if someone of color has a problem with something you said, then it's a problem, stop making g-damn excuses for it.
    Saying all of that, if you honestly think that ignoring my posts is something that would bother me then you're exactly as dense as I think you are.
    Oh, and yes, Suarez has an a$$-kicking coming to him, whether it be on or off the field.
    Carry on.

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have no idea what this means. Some clarification on this statement is needed, as a 100 years ago lynchings were still taking part in America while in the 40's and 50's many sports in the US were segregated. You think this is the state of European sports??

6. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the line of thought allowed to roam free in European soccer, yes.

7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a completely wrong. The UK has its issues but it's far better there from what I've seen than many other places in Europe, re: racism in sport. Secondly, if you really read what I wrote you realize that I'm not actually defending Suarez... I'm saying the evidence doesn't make sense to me. I'd say the same thing if he played for Man United and Evra played for Liverpool -- it just doesn't add up. I mean sure, if the tables were turned I might make a few more jokes about it :D but ultimately I wouldn't have a different opinion.
    Couldn't disagree more, the line isn't ALWAYS where the offended party says it is... because people get offended by all kinds of shit. Not that that is really relevant to this specific example, because from what I see on the tape it looks like Evra is lying about what happened. But maybe I'm wrong, anything's possible! Maybe Suarez is a total bigot... I just am not sure that anything about this he said-he said Evra incident proves it.
    The point isn't that I'm going to ignore you, I've said I don't ignore people. The point is your point of view makes no sense and is wildly hypocritical. Think about what you're saying, Suarez took a nibble and you're saying someone should blow out his knee. I get it, Suarez is crazy... but following your line of thinking through, what deserves to happen to the guy that blows out Suarez's knee? Where does this slippery slope end?

Anyone that roots for injury in sports isn't a real sports fan -- I wouldn't wish for Rooney or Chicharito to get injured, I wouldn't root for the Neville brothers to break their legs... in fact in a way I'm disappointed that Aguero won't be available for the City - LFC match, because I don't like seeing LFC get results in that fashion, by the other club missing their best players (not that LFC are guaranteed a result, obviously). I wouldn't even root for SAF to trip and sprain an ankle. Because I'm not an asshole.

So needless to say, we probably agree to disagree in more than a few areas.

9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you seriously just use the phrase "just took a nibble"?
    Well, I'll use your terms, an opposing player needs to "take a nibble" out of the side of Saurez' knee.
    There you have it.
    And any player that bites an opposing player as well as using racist language isn't a professional player.

10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Biting, or not biting, does not make one a professional player. Being paid makes one a professional; ergo Suarez is a professional player.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #161 EruditeHobo, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    And that's why you're a hypocrite. Decry someone for biting an arm, turn around and encourage someone else that would lash out to injure. Dictionary definition-quality example of hypocrisy.

I'm not factoring in racist language because I don't think it was proven that Suarez used racist language, since we're here let's at least be clear on that. Maybe he is, as I've said -- but I don't know and Evra seems like he either misunderstood, or engaged in the exact same kind of name calling, or he's lying, or all of the above. So I'm talking about the bite... which is far, far tamer (although I concede, quite a bit weirder) than someone targeting a knee and tackling with intent to injure. FAR tamer.

12. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never stated that I am not a hypocrite, there's no question I am because I believe in dishing out street-justice ON the field, not off it, players should always police themselves on the field.
    You come after my teammate well then I'm coming after you, that's how it's done.
    I never said that Saurez should be fined or suspended, nope, don't believe in that but you're gonna pay for your transgressions as soon as you get the ball in a wide-open space and don't have your head on a swivel.
    Your not even unbias on the subject.
    Your buddy is a little punk, just admit it.

13. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, Steven Gerrard is a professional, Ryan Giggs is a professional, Paul Scholes is a professional, Saurez is a little b!tch and deserves to be treated like one.

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Then you should be super happy to hear that today he was given a brand new contract. We Liverpool fans are :p

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I wanna see him get his knee blown out in the Premier League not in Spain or Italy.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then down the slippery slope we go, because next time we play one of MY guys will be coming right after you and maybe end your season... if you're happy with this stupefying, angry-high-schooler mentality then you're welcome to it. I for one will not be joining you.

I don't know what that really means... even if I did and agreed though, I don't really care. I don't idolize athletes like a lot of people do, I don't treat them like they're my friends or neighbors or relatives. They are people paid hundreds of thousands if not millions to kick a ball into a net, or keep one out of a net. It's never nice to find out they are total jackasses, and Suarez definitely has some of that in him... but still. "Worship the art, not the artist" someone wiser than me once said. Good enough for him, good enough for me. Plus some of his antics are pretty ********ing funny, the dive in front of Everton bench in particular.

Suarez biting is no more to me than an utterly bizarre quirk, and I'd feel the same way no matter who he played for -- he could leave for Man United and it wouldn't change how I felt about this element of his enigmatic personality. That said, if it happens again he should be rightly sent off and then promptly serve a huge ban. There's no room for that in the sport... and yet I'd still argue it's much less awful than some of the tackles that go on week to week in leagues all over the world.

I'm done with Suarez talk... unless you want to talk about him signing a new deal?! Best striker in the prem, one of the best attackers in the world, locked up for a little while longer. Pretty exciting! ;)

17. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #167 gameson, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    damn, Torres, the biggest flop in soccer transfer. Or is it Carroll?

Torres from Chelsea to Milan -> free transfer (value from 50 million to 0)
    Carroll from Liverpool to West Ham -> 20 million (value from 35 million to 20 million - flop 15 million)

From transfer fee, it seems Torres is the biggest flop, from 50 to 0. Or maybe Galliani is the expert of transfer?

after recent news of Torres and no news about Carroll, the question is still relevant even for today.

Now Torres transferred to Milan, my #1 favourite club.

Oh my... Oh Milan... :(

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess it comes down to Carroll was overhyped despite having done very little and is very average at best, yet still gets offers from other PL clubs. Torres was a world class striker who suddenly was a horrible striker, so that's quite a downfall and yet during his time at Chelsea he played roles in their European accomplishments not to mention helping Spain win Euro 2012.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was pretty good in their Europa League win wasn't he?

Doesn't matter, they are both colossal failures for their respective clubs. Carroll cost LFC less though... a lot less, especially factoring wages, which I have to assume Chelsea are still paying for Torres even after he leaves?

20. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I assume so, i would think otherwise Milan will never take him. His salary is too much. For Chelsea, rather than paying Torres full 2 years salary, they rather pay partial salary as there is no taker for him. I think probably a 50-50 share on the salary.

Milan (or should I say Galliani / Berlusconi) is a cheap ass club. As my #1 club, I am ashamed that they get players from trash bin. Milan can't even pay for a proper coach (and rather pay cheap for a rookie coach for Inzaghi). Nothing's wrong with Inzaghi, but oh well

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ultimately what doomed Torres at Chelsea? Was it years of injuries while at Liverpool? Ineffective tactics at Chelsea?

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

23. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He didn't help Spain win euro 2012 nor did he help them win WC 2010. Torres happens to get many easy garbage poacher like goals for Spain but to say he was an important cog for them to win in 2012 is madness.

The bigger flop was Torres. Torres was a great striker for atheltico Madrid and Liverpool but fell apart. What happen we will never know. Carroll was always overrated but he is that quintessential overrated average English player always gets more pub then what's deserved (Wellbeck, Walcott, Wilshire, Hart etc).

24. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Milan decline is tied to the decline of Serie A and the European/Italian economy. Prior to these events and up until say 2007 Milan has had great teams and players and they were not afraid to spend for them.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He played a part, which is the same as helping. A goal/assist in the final and those 2 goals against Ireland in the group stage. Yeah if he had scored against Italy when he came on as a sub, that would have taken some pressure off in the next 2 group stage games. Well yeah he didn't help them win the WC, I never stated that he did.