Who is the bigger flop, Andy Carroll (Liverpool) or Torres (Chelsea)?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gameson, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NuffSaid

NuffSaid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Torres 50 million or 2.63 million per goal, Carroll 35 million or 7 million per goal! :)

2. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Are you suggesting that Torres and Carroll are on a equal footing? Torres is supported by Mata, Oscar, Hazard and Lampard while Carroll has got players like Noble, Jarvis and Nolan. Obviously Torres is going to score more as he has a team that is much better than newly promoted West Ham. Amount of goals scored do not tell the whole story.

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Are you taking into account of wages? And is a brace scored past Nord the equivalent value of a brace scored past Man City?

4. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You could analyse in great depth about when, where and how but at the end of the day I am just saying that 19 goals is a much better return than 5 goals, more than 3 times better to be exact, take that as you will - this doesnt mean to say that I feel either player has lived up to their price tag!

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But what has this seasons goals got to do with it. Carroll is no longer at Liverpool, West Ham are paying his wages and a £2m loan fee. He's slightly less of a flop as we are now not covering his wage while Torres remains one of the best paid people in world sport.

6. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you really cant 'grasp' the connection between how many goals a striker scores and how successful his season is then I really don't know what to say!!! lol

7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If you can only value a player through goals than I pity your understanding of the game.

For the record though Torres has played 30 league games and scored 7 goals this season for last seasons CL winners while Carrol has scored 5 in 19 league games for the team who won last years Championship play-offs. Hardly worth the £15m extra transfer fee and 100k extra wage a week isit?

8. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I dont just value a player through their goals, however it is rather an important part of being a striker don't you think!! Besides I also believe Torres does more for the team than Carroll anyway! Why are you disregarding the rest of Torres's goals this season lol. The FACT is he has scored 19 times for his team this season and Carroll has scored 5. Like I said I do however think that neither of them has come close to justifying their huge transfer fees.

9. Supercuts SoccerFest

Apr 11, 2013
    Torres is my boy

s7kru repped this.
  10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shit, how many times does this need to be covered goals against the likes of FC Nords, Wolves, Monterrey, Brentford or Leeds don't impress me. Has Tom Pope had a better season than RVP because he's scored 9 more goals this season?

In the Premiership Carroll this season has a better goals per minute ratio to Torres.

11. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So are we only supposed to count goals scored against teams that are in the Champions league??? Doesn't matter who he's scored against he has scored FOUR times as many goals as Carroll this season and its LAUGHABLE to try and dismiss this as an unimportant stat for a striker.

12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's not laughable it's a difference of opinion. If you think scoring against Championship teams and poor european teams makes him worth £15m and 100k a week more then fair enough. Sadly though he's no better in the Prem than Carroll.

13. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A 'laughable' difference of opinion, wherever Torres has scored makes no difference to the FACT that he has FOUR times as many goals, not one more, not two more, not three more not even four more but FOUR times as many! Now of course its all about opinions but if scoring FOUR times as many goals in a season isn't one damn good argument when it comes to as striker I don't know what is!!?

14. calin

calin Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    i find it funny that almost a year and a half later, the question is still as relevant (if not even more now)

15. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Out of interest who do you think has a had a better season, Torres or Lukaku? Torres has obviously got more goals yet only 7 have came in the Prem while all of Lukaku's 13 have came in the Prem.

16. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If Torres has more goals than he has contributed more to the team, however I do understand that Lukaku may represent better 'value for money' (I dont know how much Lukaku costs per goal), I dont think that neither Torres OR Lukaku have been better than 'average' at best. Mainly due to a lack of consisitency from both.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can we examine the amount of mins between the 2. Carroll has started all season whereas I think Torres was only the de facto starter in the first half of the season. But overall they are both flops though it's more tragic considering Torres was arguably the best striker on the planet in 2008

18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Carroll actually missed quite a bit of the season through injury. Carroll has scored 7 goals in 1778 mins of Prem football this season while Torres has scored 7 in 2387mins played in the Prem.

19. Yoonie

Yoonie Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I believe Torres is the bigger flop as he is actually worth the money we paid for him. Unlike Carroll who I think was never worth the £35m that Liverpool paid for. Torres seemed like a different man after making his move to Stamford Bridge, on the other hand Liverpool had just overrate Carroll.

20. tran8873

tran8873 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I say Carroll at Liverpool. Though he's doing a bit better at WestHam, being the lone striker at Liverpool was not a great position for the guy.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can Torres ever regain his former glory?

22. yastru

yastru New Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    torres is not a flop

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bigger disappointment Torres. But at least Fernando was a GREAT player once carroll was always subpar IMO not worth the transfer fee at all. It was a joke he was even picked for the English NT but seeing how far England has fallen I'm not surprised he was selected.

24. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One of my favorite threads in the history of BigSoccer.

Torres is a European champion and Europa League winner. Carroll plays for West Ham.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This proves it, Torres is by far the bigger flop. From such great heights... how could there be any other answer.