Who is the bigger flop, Andy Carroll (Liverpool) or Torres (Chelsea)?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gameson, Dec 5, 2011.

1. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They have both been terrible, and have had slight false dawns in my opinion (the odd goal recently does not make a player.)

I would say though, I think Torres will move on whereas Carroll will be at Liverpool for the long term. A lot of the talk about strikers fitting in at LFC is slightly misguided in my book, as an out and out target man can fit in IF the team plays well.

They haven't.

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting couple of weeks for this debate. Both have started to look very good. Torres' goal against Barca was very well taken and his hattrick at the weekend was also very impressive. Torres seems to be playing pretty well at the moment.

3. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Torres has improved but Drogba is still the main man at Chelsea FC.

4. arsenal1217

arsenal1217 New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Andy Carroll. NO doubt. With the success Torres had in the euro's, he will make a huge difference in Chelsea. Carroll will just be another striker in the prem.

5. pinoymamba

pinoymamba New Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Andy Carroll for sure.

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Personally I find it a bit reactionary to suddenly change your opinions based on an interntional tournament.

7. Sussex lad

Sussex lad Member

Apr 18, 2011
    brighton
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    I wouldn't say judge them yet, I'd say after this season coming up you can judge them. I wouldn't be that surprised if torres gets 20+ goals this seasons and carroll gets 15+ goals.

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flop? Neither, Drogba is far worse.

9. bahn

bahn New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Torres is a proven player looking to rekindle his career. He may not show any magic like back in the old days, but he will still score plenty of goals as we witnessed in Euros.

Carroll, on the other hand, is a one-dimensional player with limited abilities. He may flourish under certain tactics to utilize his big physique, but like I said, his limited abilities hinders the team's flexibility of game plans. He may grow up to be an average EPL striker, but will never live up to the price tag.

So who's the flop? It's quite obvious.

10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Torres, right?

Going by your descriptions Torres is the far better player so for both of them to have had similar times at their new clubs suggests that Torres has flopped more.

11. Sussex lad

Sussex lad Member

Apr 18, 2011
    brighton
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Part of the reason carroll was so expensive was because of his age too, if you think he is currently fully developed as a player you are naive. He's not the most mobile but he just doesn't suit liverpools style of play, say if he did go to villa or fulham he'd score 15+ goals as well as bring a lot to the team.

12. samcooke91

samcooke91 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Next season will decide this one but I think whilst Torres is the bigger flop he is undoubtedly the more talented player and he should come good. Carroll may well never recover his form at Newcastle

13. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Has to be Carroll. 35mill GBP was wayyyy too much.

14. ryanpack52

ryanpack52 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Australia
    Club:
    Burnley FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    both have been terrible, hard to say who has been worse - if go caroll

15. NuffSaid

NuffSaid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He has also scored 5 goals in his last 3 games

16. Sullyc101

Sullyc101 Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Silly question. Torres. Torres went from being the most deadly striker in the world to a joke. Carroll never got a proper run of games and when he did he wasn't that bad. Shame he can't stay fit. He wasn't worth the money he went for. But he's not a bad center forward by any stretch of the imagination.

17. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This season Torres has scored 19 goals in 53 appearances or 1 every 2.7 games
    Carol has 5 goals in 21 appearances or 1 every 4.2 games. These stats don't really reflect what your saying about Carol being the better striker do they!?

18. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Question was about biggest flop and expectation.
    Sure, Carroll was expensive, but Torres was proven.

19. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Neither has 'set the world alight' however I'm just saying a 19 goal return is substantially better than a 5 goal return.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How does the goals scored for West Ham make Carroll a bigger flop at Liverpool? Since they've both mad their respective moves one has accumulated 14 league goals to the others 11, the major difference is that Liverpool have decided to cut their losses loan him out(2m fee) and let another club pay his wages while Cheslea continue to pay Torres £175k a week(90k more than Carroll) and have sacked a Prem winning manager and CL winning manager in an effort to accommodate Fernando.

Even without the transfer fee Torres has cost Cheslea a huge amount of money and he was rated as one of the best strikers in the world when he signed so by financial and expectations alone Fernando has been the bigger flop. I dont see how it can be argued otherwise.

21. Biff Hooper

Biff Hooper New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    The Far East
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL, seconded.

22. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nevertheless you cannot argue with the plain fact that Torres has scored fourteen more goals than Carrol this season!

23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

So has Jamie Cureton for Exceter City. He plays for a better team, hasnt suffered as many injuries and played against some poor teams in the cups. Apart from Arsenal, and maybe Newcastle, none of his goals have been against quality opposition. How on earth he only managed one against Villa in the 8-0 win is beyond belief.

24. NuffSaid

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    True but he is also of course playing against better defenders than Jamie Cureton.

25. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres for sure, and yes I am probably looking through red tinted glasses but hear me out. Torres cost 50 million will leave for nothing and a majority of the time was in the way more then being effective. Carroll cost 35 million (mind you it was basically Chelsea's money) and will leave for a minimum of 10ish if not more just by virtue of his age and the fact that he is English. Net loss Torres was twice as expensive and is not twice as good. So bigger flop.