Who is the best uncapped US player?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's starting now because Luke Young has been injured.

But hey, even if he's a bench player for EPL games/starter in some cup games.........that's still good progress in his career.

Personally, I think Villa will buy another fullback.............and then loan Lichaj out so he can get PT. Which would be fine too.

My opinion is that the best American player not to be capped........is Zak Whitbread. He's going to get a move to the Championship very shortly, and he'll be playing at the same level as Jay DeMerit. Not many people in the US watched him last season for Millwall, but he was extremely good. And he's been around for so long that people forget he's only 25.

I agree with an earlier poster with regards to Jemal Johnson. Gotta at least be in the championship for USMNT considerations. Both he and Zak need to move on up, and I don't think their clubs will be promoted. There are some strong teams in League 1 this season: Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Norwich, etc. etc.

2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

So i was right a few weeks ago when i posted..............USSF and Bob set a standard and its in protection of the MLS. ANybody below the CCC will not be called in simpley because USSF has to show the MLS is a better league even if there is no way of knowing it. After all Don Garber is on the USSF board.............sadly it even goes with the U-23 teams.......................you had college players and MLS border-line players get a call-up to Toulan or camps back in 2008 over Jemal Johnson.

We could have used Jemal Johnson vs Nigeria.

3. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    Are u honestly suggesting that League 1 players should be playing for the National Team? Johnson is still a BS myth until he starts playing at a higher level, in a better league.

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Show me right now where it is written in LAW or any type of proof that MLS is better than League 1. I find it funny how Jemal Johnson a Player who is two-footed, can cross well with both feet, Explosive speed, Quick first step, good skill, can play either Supporting Striker or Wing and most importantly can score constantly 25+yard Rockets with BOTH feet, something that nobody in the United states(MLS) can do....can't get a call-up to even the "C" team over MLS players like Jay heaps. Maybe we have to relize we hype MLS up way-too much and League 1 is better than we thought. there is a reason why JJ was with Blackburn first team at 19, they saw the talent and potential but he needed games to mature and they did not have the time for him and JJ needed to start over by going down to league 2 and getting Games and working his way back up in which he is doing and was about to sign with a CCC club before he saw Paul Ince return back to MK dons. Notice how he is being treated like the major-signing with the handing of the #10 shirt with the Captains Armband for a game so far at 24 years and he never really left the club just out-of Contract for a few a months.

5. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    Correct, the potential appears to be there, just as Johan Smith with Bolton and Zak Whitbread with Liverpool and Kenny Cooper with Machester United, and the list goes on and on. However, talent and potential only go so far. Consistent production is important in a bigger league. Johnson seems to finally be producing, with a great 1/2 season last year, but he'll need to move up another league and show that he can continue to produce against better competition before we can realistically discuss him with the Nats.

I am no MLS apologist, but League 1 is not where we should be pulling our national team players from. Many Championship level players aren't even National Team caliber.

6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League 1 players not getting a callup to protect the integrity of MLS is a tired and just flat out wrong conspiracy theory. The first thing to remember is the fact that the European leagues, even League 1, are much more guarded with their players concerning international matches due to the travel involved, time away from club, etc. So, if you have two players who are pretty close concerning talent then the MLS guy will get the nod because MLS realizes that improveing the national team improves their league which English clubs could care less about(rightfully so). This year's Gold Cup illustrates how this works the best. It was comprised almost entirely of MLSers who were in season, so that the others could get back to their European clubs for preseason.

Also, another thing to consider regarding the League 1 vs. MLS debate(which I don't have an opinion on one way or another) is that when was the last time you saw a MLSer choose to leave for League 1? They only move CCC or higher. So, MLS is at least in the same ballpark as League 1.

Lastly, just out of curiosity who would you have replaced on the field (not the roster) against Nigeria for Johnson?

7. PastFBCoach

PastFBCoach New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Gettysburg, PA
    If he can do all of this and was available without a transfer fee, WTF is he doing in League 1? Why didn't he get picked up by a team in a bigger league anywhere?

8. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    Exactly. Unfortunate, but true.

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Then why did Altidore get 0 Minutes in the second divsion after getting appearances for Villareal if everything was that simple.

10. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xerez players pissed that he was there even though they were at the top of the table.

He didn't get in because you don't mess with a good thing.

11. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Jozy's was a one team deal, Johnson could have signed for any CCC team and not one wanted him. I still rate him, but not ahead of anyone who played at Azteca today or several others for that matter.

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Whos talking about Azteca?..................he shoud have been given a chance already with one of the freindlies or lesser games. He scores wonder-goals in league 1............. League 1= MLS....sorry to break the news.

13. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you that one, he should have been on the Gold Cup squad, and given some major minutes in that tournament.

14. AEK21

AEK21 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Jordan Shevchenko

15. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009
    Geoff Cameron, aside from Jones.

16. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Who is the bhttps://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=131est uncapped US player?

Well until the two teams face each other on a real game we are assuming things. for instance you are assuming the any team in Germany is capable to come here a whoop the Dynamo 5-0

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me:

1. Jones
    2. Castillo
    3. Cameron
    4. Tracy
    5. Pontius

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is everyone rating Marcus Tracy so high? He is struggling to get minutes in Demark and is playing mostly reserve action. He is also going to be 23 in October.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Desire for more dynamic strikers. With Cooper and EJ not favorites of Bob's at the moment, everyone is looking for the "next big thing." They know Tracy has the tools, but of course they know Adu has the tools also . . .

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Because he is on stuffwhitepeoplelike.com.

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's seriously as good of a reason as I have seen in putting him on the rising star list.

To me, I really think Rodney Wallace is very important. Hopefully he gets his citizenship soon and puts Costa Rica on hold.

23. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, for reference Davies just turned 23 in June.

IMO a good nominee would be Omar Gonzalez from the Galaxy. He is part of their much improved defense and has looked good in the few games I have seen. IIRC he is the only player on that team to play every league game this year.

24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predicting youngsters is so hard, but here's my top 10 players to gradually give looks to after the next World Cup.

1) Omar Gonzalez
    2) Rodney Wallace (pending citizenship, of course)
    3) Mix Diskerud
    4) Michael Orozco (I know he's capped but needs another look)
    5) Brek Shea
    6) Edgar Castillo
    7) Chris Pontius
    8) Geoff Cameron
    9) Eric Lichaj
    10) Hunter Freeman

I'm not including Jermaine Jones. He's sure to get a look this cycle.

PS...anyone else know how long Rodney Wallace is away from citizenship? I think I recall reading not too long ago that he's 2 years away but I am not sure.

25. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that if you switch Lichaj and Shea you have a good list. Remember, Shea is getting some time on a very crappy team. It's not as if he is tearing it up, but Omar Gonzalez is a great pick. Is Delagarza american? He looks good for the Galaxy as well.